ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: [Seeking Advices] - Setting Up our Band's Lightshow  (Read 16374 times)

Steve Garris

Re: [Seeking Advices] - Setting Up our Band's Lightshow
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »

Yoan, sounds like you're getting some great advice here. I just clicked the link on your light selections, and agree with Paul's advice on getting flat pars with multi-colored led's as opposed to the 3mm "LiteBright" lights from when they first started showing up.

And I think Jeff mentioned cheap disposable lights. That is what I use, and most of my lights are less than $50. I've had them for about 3 years now and have not had a failure. The lightweight, plastic construction makes them easier to transport and set up. My main backlight is a RBGW 7-10 watt led that can be purchased in groups of 4 for about $33 each. They work fantastic at this price point.

For front spots, I use a simple Par 38 with a screw-in 90W halogen bulb that equals about 150 W equivalent. These lights are about $25 each, and I prefer them on peoples faces over most budget priced led's. I simply thread them on to the fly points on my speaker boxes. The photo below shows a single light, but I've since fabricated a bracket that holds 2 lights. One thumbscrew in to the speaker and I'm done. You can purchase a small dmx dimmer for these, but I just use them either off or on. I use a Rosco Rose gel in each front spot.

Below are pictures of the spot light, and our back lighting at one of our gigs. The cheap lights look great in numbers, and smoke is a must.

Yoan Geay

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 09:00:25 PM »

Alright Paul !
Man, I'm seriously considering the Software/Tablet/DMX - MIDI > USB option...
As everyone keeps telling me that it's way more versatile, & offers a lot more capabilities.

In Addition to that : I wouldn't need to invest in a more capable DMX Controller for now, (as long as I don't need it). And when I do need one, then I wouldn't have had to spend money on something that is of no use anymore.
So... *Ahem*, I'll need some time to process this but I think it is all set up... :)

By the way, Thank you very much for providing Links for me to look at. Having a Direction on top of some Advices is always a good plus ! That little XLR thing is Crazy, Ahah.

XLR doesn't enter in conflict with DMX ? [if that makes any sense]
You know, the whole concept of : NEVER USE XLR CABLE FOR YOUR FIXTURES YOU FOOL - DMX ONLY ! 

-----------------------------------

If I may add, that something has changed in the setup though.
As, it's probably the case for Any DMX [Hardware] Solution, like the Obey70 for exemple, is that :
  • The FCB1010 - MIDI Footswitch contains up to 10 Banks of 10 Presets.
  • The Obey70 contains 30 Banks of 8 Scenes. [The Point isn't about the DMX Controller itself]
What I tried to figure out was, as you press the UP Pedal on the FCB1010 to navigate through your Banks & Scenes :
  • Does the FCB1010 use its own "10 Banks System"?
  • Does it use the DMX Controller's own "30+ Banks System"?
So Derek, [From the Video posted before : https://goo.gl/S9sxCd], who could use his FCB1010 to Control his Obey70. I asked him if he has been "Blocked" by the FCB1010, once it reaches Bank 10, or does it keep going through all of his, [Obey70's] Banks & Scenes. He responded :

Hey thanks man... I get where you are going.. I'm not really sure on that. I only have 9 banks filled with scenes as of now, I can access all of them via this process, but that is a good question! I have a gig this weekend on the 23... When I get my lights setup I'll make some simple scenes around 20 and up to 30 in the Banks on my obey and I'll let you know if I can access them Banks via the fcb1010 hopefully I can I guess we'll find out get back to you soon...

Now depending on his testing outcome, the Question is how a Software Based Option would React to the FCB1010 then... Hopefully I'll have more Infos from Derek around Christmas to share with you.
Even though, I think once the FCB1010 reaches his 10 Bank > Preset 10, it won't go up any further.
I'd be surprised if it does but, we'll get to know soon enough...

-----------------------------------

EDIT : Steve, sorry man almost forgot you ;D

Thank you for your Feedback on the PARs Cans aswell ! I'll make it up my mind !
Damn, these Photos looks Gorgeous, that's typically what I would be happy with. I think that's enough for what we do.
And you own that Full Truss Structure aswell ? Or was it the Venue's Propriety.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:30:08 PM by Yoan Geay »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 10:49:18 PM »

XLR doesn't enter in conflict with DMX ? [if that makes any sense]
You know, the whole concept of : NEVER USE XLR CABLE FOR YOUR FIXTURES YOU FOOL - DMX ONLY ! 

Both mic/interconnect cables and DMX cables use the same connectors it's just the cable that is different. And yes best practice is to use proper DMX cable but... I regularly use nothing but standard mic cables on lighting rigs without any issues, the key is to always use a DMX terminator at the end of the run.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 12:13:04 AM »

And yes best practice is to use proper DMX cable but... I regularly use nothing but standard mic cables on lighting rigs without any issues,

People have unprotected sex with prostitutes and don't contract VD, doesn't make it a good idea.

"Sorry dear, your wedding was ruined by that flashing fixture because I couldn't use the right cables"

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Allen Smith

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:50 AM »

I use a Chauvet Obey 40 Difi to control my show and use a FCB1010 along with it.  I wanted to avoid a laptop solution and dont feel like I compromised the quality significantly with the less elaborate controller.  I use the Chauvet wireless in the Obey 40 to get the signal to the light trees and then run off of the back trees to the movers.  The wireless works well at these distances.

I control the following:
4 - Chauvet Intimidator Spot 355
2 - Chauvet Spot Duo
4 - Chauvet 4Bar TRI USB

I use banks of the FCB1010 for a set of scenes for each of us that sing.  I have 2 banks for each member (we all sing) and two for specials.  I use the built in movement programs in the movers which actually works well.  You can adjust from a fast movement down to a slow sweep and it acts a lot like if I had programmed the movement myself.

Side note, the 4Bar TRI individual lights are actually brighter than the four of the Chauvet Slimpar64 and super easy to setup since they are already mounted on a bar.  The wireless is a bonus.

https://youtu.be/rclMyoBnEao

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:59 AM »

"Sorry dear, your wedding was ruined by that flashing fixture because I couldn't use the right cables"
  Doesn't happen. I mean the uncontrolled flashing fixture, this is one of those cases where a small impedance mismatch doesn't have any effect. Wireless DMX.. now that is another story.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 06:36:00 AM »

Sorry I didn't read every reply yet, but just a word of caution that switching light scenes via foot switch every verse chorus solo etc., You'll be very distracted. The audience might be also if they pick up on what you're doing.
I had mine this way initially, but have since moved to something more straightforward so I can engage with he audience more.
Good luck with the search though, lights can really make a big impact
Cheers,

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Yoan Geay

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 06:41:28 AM »

Allen, looks fantastic !
About the FCB1010 Bank System, as it goes up to a Maximum of 10 Banks.
And say we play 20+ Songs, where each Song would have it's dedicated Bank.
Then, I'd be F**ked... ?

When you say you're using the "Built-In", [Patterns of Movements], from your Movers...
You're still able to Select the Mover's Colors & still let them do their things ?

I'm asking this because, I wouldn't want my Movers to dispay "Drastically Opposite Colors".
You know, the Theoritical Concept of Colors Matching with certain Colors & not so much with others.
[Even though, there are no Rules really]
If you can set them to Match what your PARs are showing, while keeping them Free, then it's great !

Aside to that, you wouldn't change for the Solutions that I've been suggested to use ?
[Software/DMXis/Etc] I'm curious about your opinion on that.
Thank you for your Feedback !

-----------------------------

Paul,
Just to understand that XLR vs DMX thing. [The 120Ω Resistance Difference]
If you use an XLR, you then need a Terminator at the End of your Chain, but :
  • Does that mean a proprer DMX Cable is a "Terminator" in itself ? Or do you still have to look out for a Special Cable with an already "Built-in" Terminator in it.

-----------------------------

Now, regarding the FCB1010 Limitations to 10 Banks, using a Software Based Solution, if it happens that it doesn't go further up, that probably wouldn't be a big deal though.
As I could :
  • Not Buy a FCB1010 in the first place.
  • Buy a Standard MIDI Footswitch, that suits my needs + a couple of "Side" MIDI Expression Pedals.
That would be a Viable Option, correct ?

------------------------------

Hey Callan !
This "Issue" crossed my mind also... Only actual Practice will let me know what's best, so...
Thank you for the Input & the Encouragements, I'll keep that in mind !
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:45:45 AM by Yoan Geay »

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 06:51:20 AM »

I use a Chauvet Obey 40 Difi to control my show and use a FCB1010 along with it.  I wanted to avoid a laptop solution and dont feel like I compromised the quality significantly with the less elaborate controller.  I use the Chauvet wireless in the Obey 40 to get the signal to the light trees and then run off of the back trees to the movers.  The wireless works well at these distances.

I control the following:
4 - Chauvet Intimidator Spot 355
2 - Chauvet Spot Duo
4 - Chauvet 4Bar TRI USB

I use banks of the FCB1010 for a set of scenes for each of us that sing.  I have 2 banks for each member (we all sing) and two for specials.  I use the built in movement programs in the movers which actually works well.  You can adjust from a fast movement down to a slow sweep and it acts a lot like if I had programmed the movement myself.

Side note, the 4Bar TRI individual lights are actually brighter than the four of the Chauvet Slimpar64 and super easy to setup since they are already mounted on a bar.  The wireless is a bonus.

https://youtu.be/rclMyoBnEao
Hey Allen, do you have any more pics of your truss? Both during set up and how much space in the truck it takes up?
I like your video, the back truss is where I'm thinking of going next.
Cheers

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »

Paul,
Just to understand that XLR vs DMX thing. [The 120Ω Resistance Difference]
If you use an XLR, you then need a Terminator at the End of your Chain, but :
  • Does that mean a proprer DMX Cable is a "Terminator" in itself ? Or do you still have to look out for a Special Cable with an already "Built-in" Terminator in it.

A DMX terrminator is a separate device usually just an XLR connector with a 120 ohm resistor soldered across pins 2 and 3.

And there is not 120ohm difference between mic and DMX cable there is only 10-20ohms difference in impedance(an AC spec.. resistance is DC), 100-110ohm for mic cable versus 120ohm for DMX. There are also other technical differences between mic and DMX cable, DMX uses a data transmission standard which technically operates at much high frequencies than audio so the cable should also be of a higher standard. But the reality of lounge level lighting rigs is that they usually don't cover large distances or large numbers of fixtures and the data traffic density on these little DMX networks are so light that the cable rules can be bent, but you will need a DMX terminator on the last fixture in the chain.

So what I suggest is that once you get rolling on this hook up the lighting with whatever cables you have on hand and get it working. But in the name of streamlining the setup/strike of the rig you should consider permanently mounting most or all of the fixtures in the truss and then build some custom DMX and electrical lines to connect it all together. And when you are doing that by all means buy a roll of proper DMX cable and make up the lengths you need.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.