ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting LED color in old fresnels.  (Read 3996 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Putting LED color in old fresnels.
« on: December 18, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »

So, I'm about to do some set decorating on a smaller stage for our youth band. One idea I had was to recycle a bunch of 6" fresnels we have around here into decorations for the stage. What kind of LED is small enough to place inside a gutted 6" fresnel? I don't need them to be super bright. These would just need to glow and hopefully change color. 

One fixture I've seen that might work is the Chauvet Slimpar 38. The diminsions listed are an 8.3" in width, but I'm guessing that's from knob to knob. If I did this, I'd probably remove the mirror and suspend the slimpar in the fresnel where the mirror used to be. Probably by putting a bolt through each side of the fresnel and threaded into the yoke holes on the slime par.

Does anybody know of any other tiny fixtures that might work? I'm not looking for cheap, but then again, these don't have to be bright, so the cheaper pars are what I'm finding.

I'd love it if there was an RGBAW LED I could use. It would be cool to make these look like a super warm tungsten bulb was inside.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

duane massey

Re: Putting LED color in old fresnels.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:55:03 AM »

Maybe the MEGA Baby Color? ADJ Dotz Par? Maybe the 5P Hex RGBAW, if it would fit?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:05:53 AM by duane massey »
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »

Oh yeah, the baby color looks like a good option! The ADJ fixtures have all the input/output on the sides. I think the fixtures would fit, but I'd never get an xlr plugged in to them without going 90 degrees, and that would be needlessly expensive.

The baby color is nice and compact and has all the controls and stuff on the back. I need to order one and see how I can make it fit!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »

Chauvet EZ Par Tri 6.

7.1" measured from outside of knobs. The brackets and knobs can be removed

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »

Try the ColorKey MicroPar.  The version I have is the HEX, but I think there are RGBA or RGBW version.  If you are not needing DMX control, there are Par38/R40 lamps that are LED with remote "key fob" color control that would easily fit.  A socket can be attached to the reflector of the Fresnel.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »

I'm ordering a couple of the ColorDash Accent Quads to experiment with. I would like to go with a brighter light, but these things have some features that make them particularly useful for this application. They have dmx and power pigtails coming out of the back. This will allow me to have power and data accessible after they are mounted. Plus the menu buttons and screen is on the back too, so right now I'm thinking I might just drill a big hole in the back of each fresnel and let the back of the Colordash stick out of there.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »

Oh yeah. The inside of my Fresnels is 6.25" in diameter, and about 6" deep.  Not much room to work with...

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »

I don’t have any advice to add, but please share the results.  I’ve been casually contemplating how to get a homogenous look from a SixPar (or similar), and this seems like an interesting idea.  I don’t think it’d be an issue with the Accents, but do you think the confined space would cause any heat-related issues with a more powerful fixture?

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 12:01:11 AM »

Blizzard Hotbox is a 5” cube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 12:01:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.