ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: danger Will Robinson... old red neck wiring.  (Read 18900 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: danger Will Robinson... old red neck wiring.
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2018, 09:50:13 PM »

My house has tried to kill me before, like when the water heater energized my shower water....  :o

My smoke detector works just fine, so I should be OK...

Of course you never see the bullet coming that gets you.  8)

JR

Glad you got 'r done.

One thing that may (or may not?) help prevent let the smoke out would be to install the lowest rated fuses in that fuse block that will still let you run that wall oven.  Probably has 60's in it, you can drop to 35's in that same fuse block, or 30's if you use adapters.  Though, with an installed appliance the chances of overloading the circuit are virtually zero-any failure is likely to blow a 60 just as fast as a 30.

I do find it ironic that fuses are seen as "unsafe" in homes.  I've never known an overloaded fuse not to blow-but I've ran into more than one breaker that would never trip or shut off.
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:15 PM »

Glad you got 'r done.

One thing that may (or may not?) help prevent let the smoke out would be to install the lowest rated fuses in that fuse block that will still let you run that wall oven.  Probably has 60's in it, you can drop to 35's in that same fuse block, or 30's if you use adapters.  Though, with an installed appliance the chances of overloading the circuit are virtually zero-any failure is likely to blow a 60 just as fast as a 30.

I do find it ironic that fuses are seen as "unsafe" in homes.  I've never known an overloaded fuse not to blow-but I've ran into more than one breaker that would never trip or shut off.
The wall oven only needs 20a breaker/fuse... max draw is something like 15A . I need to check if the stove top is on that same cartridge fuse block.   

I have already downsized all my branch fuses to 15a.

JR

PS: For the first time in my adult life all my major kitchen appliances are the same color (black).
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2018, 11:11:46 PM »

PS: For the first time in my adult life all my major kitchen appliances are the same color (black).

When I was a kid the only black appliance was the oven... on the inside.

We really should cleaned that thing more often.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 12:26:27 AM »

Unfortunately the problem comes when people don't understand the point of fuses and just put some random piece of metal in to work around a blown fuse.  Takes a more creative idiot to do that with a breaker.  Having said that I have seen bigger breakers than the wiring would allow.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »

Unfortunately the problem comes when people don't understand the point of fuses and just put some random piece of metal in to work around a blown fuse.  Takes a more creative idiot to do that with a breaker.  Having said that I have seen bigger breakers than the wiring would allow.
Yup, I have a pile of 30A (edison base) fuses I removed from my fuse panel that were left by the previous owner. (I replaced with 15A). I can pop the 15A fuse in my kitchen if I run the microwave and my electric water kettle at the same time, so I don't do that.   8)

The spare cartridge fuse that was laying around next to the fuse panel is 40A.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.