ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: danger Will Robinson... old red neck wiring.  (Read 18901 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: danger Will Robinson... old red neck wiring.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 10:58:52 PM »

Run a line for 40 amps. It will work for what ever oven you choose.

The suggestion of putting 14-50 receptical is a bad idea. Ovens can’t be plugged in. A range can but I believe we are talking about wall oven.

This is easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »

Run a line for 40 amps. It will work for what ever oven you choose.
I am not in any hurry and can know in advance what oven will be in that hole for the rest of my life.

BTW when I was a kid growing up in NJ our entire house had a 40A service.
The suggestion of putting 14-50 receptical is a bad idea. Ovens can’t be plugged in. A range can but I believe we are talking about wall oven.
yes, I'm looking to add a junction box instead of loose wires hanging out in the back of my lower cupboard, like now
This is easy.
easy is tying into the old tails.... which I suspect any paid installer here would do without complaint (git er dun).

I am willing to up my game, but not accommodating the next owner's pizza oven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
One thing that I find encouraging when my new electrician was kicking tires in my place that he didn't melt down or lecture me when he saw my DIY ground bonds... Instead he shared horror stories about problem homes he has worked on in the area.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »

I am not in any hurry and can know in advance what oven will be in that hole for the rest of my life.

BTW when I was a kid growing up in NJ our entire house had a 40A service. yes, I'm looking to add a junction box instead of loose wires hanging out in the back of my lower cupboard, like now easy is tying into the old tails.... which I suspect any paid installer here would do without complaint (git er dun).

I am willing to up my game, but not accommodating the next owner's pizza oven. One thing that I find encouraging when my new electrician was kicking tires in my place that he didn't melt down or lecture me when he saw my DIY ground bonds... Instead he shared horror stories about problem homes he has worked on in the area.

JR

The "git 'er done" mentality is how shit like you find in your house got done.  It's how most of the homeowner/brother in law  electrical & mechanical was done in the houses I flipped 20 years ago.

I'm thinking your electrician looked at your kludge and thought "well, at least this actually *grounds* the offending parts".  And that's better than most of what he finds, methinks...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »

My house should be named "not to code".

There are two 240V leads into the open junction box under the stove top so unclear what is coming/going exactly where.

JR

220, 240, whatever it takes........ 8)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »

You, sir, are fast on the irony uptake. ;)

But is your irony plugged into a groundedy outlety?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »

The only question I have, is with all the amazing wiring stories over the years, if you hire a real electrician, how would he know where to start?

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »

The only question I have, is with all the amazing wiring stories over the years, if you hire a real electrician, how would he know where to start?
I quickly disabused him of any notion that I was looking for a complete home rewire. He asked about replacing the old school fuse box (while we need to check it out while he is working in the area).  :o 

Most people in my situation around here would just wire the new wall oven into the old power drop, so this is found work for him compared to his typical customer. I'm fixing something that isn't broke, just not to code (not even close, no neutral to bootleg a ground to).

I was relieved that when I showed him my DIY safety grounding of water heater, and laundry room outlet (with GFCI) he didn't lecture me, and instead appeared OK with it ( I kind of expected a bid to rewire at least those). 

He shared some war stories about my neighbors homes (fire hazards).   

JR

PS: I just bit the bullet and ordered a replacement wall oven (10% 0ff).  15A draw with 20A breaker recommended.  On christmas morning instead of the pitter patter of reindeer on the roof, I awoke to the rap,rap,rap of my in-wall heat pump self destructing... so another new appliance on order. Bad christmas for budget and not one of them a present. If I work this out right I will have the electrician with his strong back helper around to help me lift the several heavy things that need lifting...  Oven will be 100# + the heat pump is 96#(about 4" up the living room wall, and I still have an anode I can't break loose in my hot water heater, so I can put some rented muscle to good use.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:24:45 PM by John Roberts {JR} »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »

I quickly disabused him of any notion that I was looking for a complete home rewire. He asked about replacing the old school fuse box (while we need to check it out while he is working in the area).  :o 

Most people in my situation around here would just wire the new wall oven into the old power drop, so this is found work for him compared to his typical customer. I'm fixing something that isn't broke, just not to code (not even close, no neutral to bootleg a ground to).

I was relieved that when I showed him my DIY safety grounding of water heater, and laundry room outlet (with GFCI) he didn't lecture me, and instead appeared OK with it ( I kind of expected a bid to rewire at least those). 

He shared some war stories about my neighbors homes (fire hazards).   

JR

PS: I just bit the bullet and ordered a replacement wall oven (10% 0ff).  15A draw with 20A breaker recommended.  On christmas morning instead of the pitter patter of reindeer on the roof, I awoke to the rap,rap,rap of my in-wall heat pump self destructing... so another new appliance on order. Bad christmas for budget and not one of them a present. If I work this out right I will have the electrician with his strong back helper around to help me lift the several heavy things that need lifting...  Oven will be 100# + the heat pump is 96#(about 4" up the living room wall, and I still have an anode I can't break loose in my hot water heater, so I can put some rented muscle to good use.

Your stories always make me smile - the dead-pan, matter-of-fact delivery.  Someone ought to take all the posts about your home and create a book.   Priceless.

Hope your holidays start looking up.

frank

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »

Or when to stop...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »

Or when to stop...
You stop when the customer is out of money.

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.