ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 console locking  (Read 24939 times)

Selena Davies

X32 console locking
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »

Hello,

I've just signed up to this forum to ask for some advice.
I am working in a venue with a behringer X32 and I have a problem with it locking itself. It seems to do it randomly but but often happens when plugging things in to the back while it's on. To unlock it you just need to hold down the home button.
As far as I can gather from the manual, to lock the console I should hold down 4 of the buttons to the right of the screen. But this doesn't work. I can lock it by holding the home button only.
So my questions are firstly does else know of an X32 locking itself, or is mine faulty? Secondly should I be able to lock and unlock it just by pressing the home button.

I've searched online for other people mentioning this problem to no avail.

I have done a firmware update and that hasn't made any difference, I think there may be a loose connection or something because often leaning on the desk is enough to make it lock, which is a bit annoying!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Selena

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: X32 console locking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »

Hello,

I've just signed up to this forum to ask for some advice.
I am working in a venue with a behringer X32 and I have a problem with it locking itself. It seems to do it randomly but but often happens when plugging things in to the back while it's on. To unlock it you just need to hold down the home button.
As far as I can gather from the manual, to lock the console I should hold down 4 of the buttons to the right of the screen. But this doesn't work. I can lock it by holding the home button only.
So my questions are firstly does else know of an X32 locking itself, or is mine faulty? Secondly should I be able to lock and unlock it just by pressing the home button.

I've searched online for other people mentioning this problem to no avail.

I have done a firmware update and that hasn't made any difference, I think there may be a loose connection or something because often leaning on the desk is enough to make it lock, which is a bit annoying!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Selena

Locking only requires holding down the Home button for a few seconds.  If there is a multiple button combination that also does this, I submit that is part of service or maintenance and likely does more than simply locking the desk.

As for why it seems to lock itself, I suggest you contact the CARE facility in Las Vegas.  I've not heard of this issue before and I don't think it's come up here on the forums.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »

You can lock the home screen with more than just the home button, but it's only 1 other button plus the home button, not 4. The same 2 buttons used to lock it must be pressed to unlock it. I typically just lock them with the home button though, anything more is unnecessary in my experience.

It shouldn't lock itself. If it is, I'd suspect that the home button is sticking in the down position, causing it to lock. If that's the case, it's probably not a user-serviceable type of repair, so I'd guess you'd need to send it in.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »

Holding the home-button will lock and unlock the console. As an extra feature you can also hold any combination of as many other buttons you like and the home-button to lock it, and you will have to use the same combination to unlock it.

That being said: spontanious locking should't occur.

Edit: what Brian said.
Edit2: and Dan ofcourse  8)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:53:57 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »

Don't know about the locking-by-itself part, but you for sure can lock/unlock the console by pressing the Home button continuously for something like 5 seconds.

You can also set your own secret locking/unlocking combination by pressing any other combination of buttons along with the Home button as described above.

It gets tricky if you do that, though, because you have to remember the exact combination you pushed in order to unlock the console. That can be more difficult than it seems like it should be.

If you forget the combination, IIRC you can power the console down and it will be in its normal state upon reboot.

Brian posted while I was typing, and I'm pretty sure I've done 3 button combinations to lock that didn't unlock with only 2 of the buttons. Or the wrong 3. Haven't done it for a while, though....

If your console really is locking itself without you holding down the Home button, it has a problem and needs fixing. If you were holding down the Home button absentmindedly, stop that.

Geert's right, too, IMO.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »

Although I don't know of this being a problem specifically with the X32, I would make certain there isn't a huge ground potential issue with whatever it is you are plugging into the console.  If something is wired wrong in the chain, there could be DC or AC voltage present on the connectors you are plugging in.  Measure for voltage between the shells of any XLR's (and the sleeve of any 1/4 plug) to a ground point on the X32.  There should be no voltage.  I've seen high voltages from incorrectly repaired/wired gear or electrical outlets with 120V potential between the source gear's "ground" and the input to remote (FOH) gear, and it is wreaks havoc!  IT COULD BE DEADLY!

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »

I'll have to amend my earlier statement! I don't have an X32 set up right now, but there's a full size M32 in the other room, so it's still an apples to apples comparison. The home button alone can of course lock the console, as can the home button with 1 or more other buttons, up to and including all of them. An 8 button combination is a little hard to press though, you have to use lots of fingers.

I don't have an M32R here to compare it to right now, but it might be different since it has a couple additional buttons on the side of the screen.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »

I'll have to amend my earlier statement! I don't have an X32 set up right now, but there's a full size M32 in the other room, so it's still an apples to apples comparison. The home button alone can of course lock the console, as can the home button with 1 or more other buttons, up to and including all of them. An 8 button combination is a little hard to press though, you have to use lots of fingers.

I don't have an M32R here to compare it to right now, but it might be different since it has a couple additional buttons on the side of the screen.
It happens when leaning over on the buttons.

Roch Lafleur

• Ottawa, ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »

It seems to do it randomly but but often happens when plugging things in to the back while it's on. To unlock it you just need to hold down the home button.

I do this all the time. It freaked me out many times, until I realized it was user error. I tend to rest my right hand just over the screen while leaning over the desk to plug cables in the back. Turns out my fat hand was resting on the home button causing it to lock. Even now that I'm aware of this, I still do it from time to time.

That doesn't explain the fact that your desk does it randomly. However, it is really random, or is it your hand, elbow, chest pressing the home button inadvertently? Just putting it out there.

Let us know if you figure it out.
DSL SM80 (2), DSL TH118 (4), db Technologies DVX DM-12, JBL PRX615M, Behringer X32, X32-C, Crown MAi, QSC PLX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.