ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Couldn't Stop Mic Peaking  (Read 22448 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Couldn't Stop Mic Peaking
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »

Pads are available for QU when using the Allen Heath GLD series stage boxes.
Pads are available on our QU24 regardless of whether using a stage box or otherwise. ..or did I misinterpret?

..dave
..db

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2017, 01:08:05 AM »

So, how do I know how far to turn the receiver down and how far to turn the mic down?  Should I just experiment, or is there a suggesting starting place?
I assume you have already flipped the switch on the back of the receiver. (I don't remember getting any confirmation this has been done).  This should at least remove your problem with the peak light on the mixer.

Afterwards you can start working on gain staging. In a nutshell this means you will try to get your signal as hot/strong/high as it will go as early on as possible while making sure it never gets too strong for the next device that has to take the signal.

So in your particular case you would want to start with your mixer gain on -5dB and your faders all the way down. Now grab the handheld mic and set the mic offset to 0dB. Then present to it the strongest signal it can ever expect to get in normal use. Speak into it at a similar  level to your preacher when he is really "into it". Set your gain on the mic receiver so that the yellow led is just not lighting up.
Now remove/bypass any processing you might have on the channel and set the channel fader to the 0dB mark.
Move your master fader to your normal position during a service (this should ideally be around the 0dB mark).
Now you can slowly start adding gain on the mixer until your voice is as loud as you would normally have/want the preacher to be at during a service.

You will probably have to tweak these settings a little during the next service and set your eq again.
Doing this means you should re-set your tresshold on your compressor. And since you would already be there you can take this chance to practice with the compressor.

Please let us know the results you get so we can offer more help in case you need it.
Let us know what you learned about the compression.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:00:43 AM by Joe Pieternella »

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »

I'm sorry it took this long to get back with my results on this.  It got crazy around the holidays and then our founder passed away and I just simply didn't want to change the mic settings right before his funeral (several guest speakers came to town). 

Anyways, this week, I went in and switched all the mic receivers from "line" to "mic".  Once I did that, I lost pretty much all of the volume in my mics (I knew this would happen).

So, I put all of the receivers on zero db gain. 

I put my faders at zero (unity), and began increasing the gain on the QU32 until it was in the yellow at the singers loudest point.

This Sunday will be our first service with it like this.  I'm sure we will have some adjusting to do, but I am excited to finally be able to eliminate the peaking of the preacher's' mic.  I will reply again next week with my results of this weekend's services.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 03:37:42 PM »

I'm sorry it took this long to get back with my results on this.  It got crazy around the holidays and then our founder passed away and I just simply didn't want to change the mic settings right before his funeral (several guest speakers came to town). 

Anyways, this week, I went in and switched all the mic receivers from "line" to "mic".  Once I did that, I lost pretty much all of the volume in my mics (I knew this would happen).

So, I put all of the receivers on zero db gain. 

I put my faders at zero (unity), and began increasing the gain on the QU32 until it was in the yellow at the singers loudest point.

This Sunday will be our first service with it like this.  I'm sure we will have some adjusting to do, but I am excited to finally be able to eliminate the peaking of the preacher's' mic.  I will reply again next week with my results of this weekend's services.

I think you are still going to need some compression.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »

I think you are still going to need some compression.

Yes, and now he's in a position to use it for goodness instead of crap correction.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »

Pads are available on our QU24 regardless of whether using a stage box or otherwise. ..or did I misinterpret?

..dave

QU input pads are only available on inputs coming from a stage box not on the surface inputs.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »

Yes, and now he's in a position to use it for goodness instead of crap correction.

Compression scares me simply because I don’t understand what all the settings mean. Is there a resource I can use to learn them? Or should I just play around with it and experiment?

I still want to allow dynamics in the person singing or preaching. At times, they may want to sing softly or preach softer and at other times they may need to really dig in. And if the audience is really getting with it, I don’t want the audience to drown them out.

Does this make sense? I know what I want but don’t know how to achieve it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2018, 01:06:20 PM »

Compression scares me simply because I don’t understand what all the settings mean. Is there a resource I can use to learn them? Or should I just play around with it and experiment?

I still want to allow dynamics in the person singing or preaching. At times, they may want to sing softly or preach softer and at other times they may need to really dig in. And if the audience is really getting with it, I don’t want the audience to drown them out.

Play with it. Try using any auto settings at first. They seem to work well on vocals but not much else. I usually use a 4:1 ratio and set the threshold low enough just to tame the peaks. You can set it up and leave a hi threshold so that it doesn't do anything and then lower it a bit at a time while watching the gain reduction. Ideally you don't want to see any reduction in quiet spots.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »

YouTube can be helpful to get you started with compression.  Then start experimenting.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »

Compression is simple, it reduces gain in proportion to input signal.  Below the threshold the compressor does nothing.  Above the threshold it starts doing it's thing.  The ratio is a proportion of input signal to loss.  The higher the proportion the "harder" the compressor is.  Attack it the speed at which the compressor responds.  How long it stays engaged is the hold time and release is how quickly it lets go (after hold time as expired).

The indicator on the compressor is the amount of negative gain applied.  Light peaks should tickle the compressor, a scream should clamp down hard.

Once you get good at it you can use the make up gain knob along with the compressor to place instruments in the mix.  The compressor is an important part of mixing.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.