ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Couldn't Stop Mic Peaking  (Read 22547 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Couldn't Stop Mic Peaking
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »

Our pastor is very dynamic and we use an older Shure wirelss with an SM58 and a QU-32.

I use zero compression, have the gain adjusted to where I do not get a red clip light when he gets load- can't remember where its is might be -27 maybe +17- I don't care about the number- that can change if the mic receiver gets adjusted- just make sure you can run the fader 1/2 to 2/3 rds up, get adequate volume and no red lights.

Start there- with proper mic technique no compression should be needed either electronic or manually.  If you try to ride the gain, you will always be behind the game.  A good speaker will use mic technique to his advantage-unless you can read their mind you just take away a tool they have. Make them learn how to use it.
Steve Swaffer

John L Nobile

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 01:24:10 PM »

Is there a mic/line switch at the back of the receiver? If so, what's it set at? They seem to switch on their own sometimes. I've always checked mine after a move.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »

I agree, but this only works if you are using make up gain. Otherwise you'll only lose more level.
Compensating for this at the wrong side of the compressor will make things worse.

I strongly disagree.

He NEEDS the compressor, but with some adjustment finesse.  It sounds like the attack and release were too long.  Unless the ratio is high and threshold is low, he probably needs little if any make up gain.

That said, the compressor will not fix the "peaking" problem as that is too much level at either the wireless receiver output or the input channel trim.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »

Our pastor is very dynamic and we use an older Shure wirelss with an SM58 and a QU-32.

I use zero compression, have the gain adjusted to where I do not get a red clip light when he gets load- can't remember where its is might be -27 maybe +17- I don't care about the number- that can change if the mic receiver gets adjusted- just make sure you can run the fader 1/2 to 2/3 rds up, get adequate volume and no red lights.

Start there- with proper mic technique no compression should be needed either electronic or manually.  If you try to ride the gain, you will always be behind the game.  A good speaker will use mic technique to his advantage-unless you can read their mind you just take away a tool they have. Make them learn how to use it.

My experience is that you will not train, educate or otherwise alter the mic technique of singers, preachers or auctioneers... all you will do is piss them off.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »

Something that keeps coming up in this post, and I haven't checked it, is the gain on the wireless mic receiver.  I don't think I've ever looked at it or adjusted it.  How would I go about doing that?  Is there a recommended setting for it? (QLX D24)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »

The op stated he was getting Distortion even with the preamp on the strip  down. checking the receiver display would have confirmed this.
 This points to the receiver gain being set too high.
 What may be  an acceptable setting for the resident Pastor was not acceptable for the guest speaker.
     One person to another can have a  huge dynamic range difference.
 as far as the comment of no compression, it is an excellent tool when  used properly.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »

If you would check the internet the manual is readily available

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »

Something that keeps coming up in this post, and I haven't checked it, is the gain on the wireless mic receiver.  I don't think I've ever looked at it or adjusted it.  How would I go about doing that?  Is there a recommended setting for it? (QLX D24)

Is there a reason you can't just turn down the input channel trim (pre amp gain)?  Seriously, the numbers are for reference.. the -5 you mentioned earlier is just a number... it has no magical power nor with the school marm slap your wrists if you turn it down...

Likewise, if the signal from the wireless receiver is distorted, changing the mixer input trim will not eliminate the distortion, that is occurring at either the microphone itself or the wireless receiver.

If you turn down the mixer's input trim until the peak light stops flashing and it's still sounding distorted, turn down the receiver output level by about -6dB.  If it's still distorted the problem is gain at the microphone transmitter - consult the manual to turn it down, then restore the receiver output level to its previous setting and check again.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:00:03 PM by Tim McCulloch »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »

If the receiver gain is too high and the input level on the mic is too high it's going to distort at the channel strip preamp the channel strip just amplifies what it's getting

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »

Is there a reason you can't just turn down the input channel trim (pre amp gain)?  Seriously, the numbers are for reference.. the -5 you mentioned earlier is just a number... it has no magical power nor with the school marm slap your wrists if you turn it down...

Likewise, if the signal from the wireless receiver is distorted, changing the mixer input trim will not eliminate the distortion, that is occurring at either the microphone itself or the wireless receiver.

If you turn down the mixer's input trim until the peak light stops flashing and it's still sounding distorted, turn down the receiver output level by about -6dB.  If it's still distorted the problem is gain at the microphone transmitter - consult the manual to turn it down, then restore the receiver output level to its previous setting and check again.

Tim - I don't have a "trim" button my QU-32, unless I don't know about it.  I just have a gain knob.  I will try turning the gain down on the wireless receiver.  And I didn't realize the mic itself has a gain option.  I'll look into that also.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 25 queries.