ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Couldn't Stop Mic Peaking  (Read 22446 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Couldn't Stop Mic Peaking
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »

According to the block diagram, this is not the case.

There is no pad shown between the TRS jack and the preamp; it is simply the users choice of connection.

That being said, there should be no issue if the OP sets the receiver output to Mic level and adjusts the preamp gain as needed.

I find that “normal” speech has my QLXD receiver gain set at +10, which has my levels on the unit in the green and tickling yellow. I’d set it lower for very dynamic speakers, maybe at “0” and compensate at the console.

The noise floor with stable RF should be low enough to not cause any issues.

Jordan,
If you look further down on the technical data sheet you will see a 10dB input sensitivity different between the XLR input and the TRS. So there looks to be a 10dB pad on that 1/4" input.

Retyped from the spec sheet:
Input sensitivity (XLR/TRS)
-60 to +5dBu / -50 to +15dBu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »

Jordan,
If you look further down on the technical data sheet you will see a 10dB input sensitivity different between the XLR input and the TRS. So there looks to be a 10dB pad on that 1/4" input.

Retyped from the spec sheet:
Input sensitivity (XLR/TRS)
-60 to +5dBu / -50 to +15dBu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can see the two resistors on the line level inputs (the little rectangles) just as there are also resistors from the phantom power to the mic inputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 06:18:34 PM »

What does the audio level metering show on the receiver, if it is overloaded and distorted at the receiver nothing is going to fix that downstream of the receiver.

I'm not that familiar with the QLXD series and it does not look there is traditional transmitter gain/level adjustment on the body other than the mic level offset adjustment.

When you make level adjustments on the receiver do you need to re sync the transmitter to pass any needed level adjustments on to the transmitter?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:19 PM »

What does the audio level metering show on the receiver, if it is overloaded and distorted at the receiver nothing is going to fix that downstream of the receiver.

I'm not that familiar with the QLXD series and it does not look there is traditional transmitter gain/level adjustment on the body other than the mic level offset adjustment.

When you make level adjustments on the receiver do you need to re sync the transmitter to pass any needed level adjustments on to the transmitter?

No there is a rocker switch in the battery compartment to add gain at the mic (call offset) and adjust other settings.  On the receiver the gain is adjusted by up and down buttons on the front panel with the results on the display.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 09:10:45 PM »

I have always assumed that any settings on the mic/transmitter were intended to match the mic (lavalier, headset or a different headset, instrument DI) to the transmitter so you don't clip the audio to the RF signal.

Adjustments on the receiver are intended to make it work with whatever you are sending the signal to.

Correct?
Steve Swaffer

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »

^  #MeToo

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »

^  #MeToo
^ MeTree.
If the receiver is clipping, there is nothing you can do on the console.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »

Jordan,
If you look ...
Ah, my apologies to all! The drawing does indeed show resistors (and the spec sheet bears that out as well).

This lack of sleep thing isn’t doing me any favors...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »

No there is a rocker switch in the battery compartment to add gain at the mic (call offset) and adjust other settings.  On the receiver the gain is adjusted by up and down buttons on the front panel with the results on the display.

So, how do I know how far to turn the receiver down and how far to turn the mic down?  Should I just experiment, or is there a suggesting starting place?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »

So, how do I know how far to turn the receiver down and how far to turn the mic down?  Should I just experiment, or is there a suggesting starting place?

Experiment.
If only very loud talking creates the problem, turn it down a little. If moderate volume causes the problem, turn it down more.
You can test immediately if you can cause the problem yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.