ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highly muffled, inaudible sound from church PC.  (Read 5063 times)

Chris Campbell

Highly muffled, inaudible sound from church PC.
« on: December 12, 2017, 04:44:29 AM »

This issue occurs with .mp3 files, any YouTube video and at least one DVD. After audio starts, a second of normal, audible sound is heard and then it becomes totally muffled and inaudible. This has started to happen 3 or so months after I installed a new Audigy Soundblaster FX and those 3 months went trouble free. Although, I will say that I had trouble installing the drivers so I ended up just leaving them, with Windows seeming to install it fine. I have removed the hardware profiles and installed the drivers and it has not solved the issue. The issue is specific to the Audigy, because everything is fine with the headphone jack at the front panel. Interestingly, I have no problem whatsoever playing music on Spotify! And I note that Spotify streams Ogg Vorbis rather than .mp3. So I'm thinking that it is only .mp3 which is affected, with YouTube mostly (I guess) being .mp3 audio. And the DVD which I tested must be .mp3 too. HOWEVER - and here's the REAL kicker - There is one .mp3 which I just happened to test which DID work! I couldn't believe it! It is a sermon recording, with all other sermon recordings that I tested not working. I have linked below to a sample recording. Note the first second of normal sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this one has me completely stumped.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2j0c2konx5tdjd/sample.mp3?dl=0

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Highly muffled, inaudible sound from church PC.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 07:47:29 AM »

This issue occurs with .mp3 files, any YouTube video and at least one DVD. After audio starts, a second of normal, audible sound is heard and then it becomes totally muffled and inaudible. This has started to happen 3 or so months after I installed a new Audigy Soundblaster FX and those 3 months went trouble free. Although, I will say that I had trouble installing the drivers so I ended up just leaving them, with Windows seeming to install it fine. I have removed the hardware profiles and installed the drivers and it has not solved the issue. The issue is specific to the Audigy, because everything is fine with the headphone jack at the front panel. Interestingly, I have no problem whatsoever playing music on Spotify! And I note that Spotify streams Ogg Vorbis rather than .mp3. So I'm thinking that it is only .mp3 which is affected, with YouTube mostly (I guess) being .mp3 audio. And the DVD which I tested must be .mp3 too. HOWEVER - and here's the REAL kicker - There is one .mp3 which I just happened to test which DID work! I couldn't believe it! It is a sermon recording, with all other sermon recordings that I tested not working. I have linked below to a sample recording. Note the first second of normal sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this one has me completely stumped.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2j0c2konx5tdjd/sample.mp3?dl=0
Try a Radial USB Pro, or Dante Virtual Soundcard, or USB directly into the console if it's an option.  If the issue is that sound card, it's an inexpensive and non-critical piece of the signal chain. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:03:59 AM »

Ditch the Audigy use the on board. It's not going to sound any better/worse.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 09:33:03 AM »

Ditch the Audigy use the on board. It's not going to sound any better/worse.

Agreed.  I have found this to be a great solution as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Peavey-3001370-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B004A4PSEU

No drivers, no DI, just plug it in, select it as your sound source, patch to PA, and you have immediate quality sound without hum and without a bunch of cables going in and out of your DI.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »

Agreed.  I have found this to be a great solution as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Peavey-3001370-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B004A4PSEU

No drivers, no DI, just plug it in, select it as your sound source, patch to PA, and you have immediate quality sound without hum and without a bunch of cables going in and out of your DI.
An excellent, low cost solution. I use one regularly.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Campbell

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »

So nobody has heard of this issue before? No one knows why it might be happening?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:17:37 PM »

So nobody has heard of this issue before? No one knows why it might be happening?

A sound forum is the least likely place to find answers to what is probably a driver/codec/hardware/computer issue.

You might have more luck with audigy forums or any computer forum.

We are proposing solutions for the end result. Knowing the actual issue to a computer issue is a luxury and sometimes not knowable.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »

Your soundcard is likely switching itself to 5.1 and what you're hearing is the subwoofer output. Check your soundcard settings and see if it's at 5.1 instead of Stereo. Shitty card and/or drivers. Get rid of it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:48:07 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »

Get rid of it.

Using a soundcard that sits inside a "noisy" computer seems like a bad idea. I did that in the 90's when there weren't any other options and always had a bit of noise. There's so many other low cost out of the box solutions out there. The Peavey one looks very good at a good price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.