ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Si Impact vs Qu-32 - For inexperienced operators  (Read 6468 times)

Yoon Cha

Si Impact vs Qu-32 - For inexperienced operators
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »

How are you all?

I am sorry if similar threads have been done, but I searched in the forum extensively, but still seem to lack answers to make my final choice. I have searched very many digital mixers as I want to upgrade from analogue for church, and am finally contemplating between two:

--- Soundcraft Si Impact ---
--- Allen & Heath Qu-32 ---

I want to install this on a church, and I hope I will not be the only operator, so I am looking for the following. If you do not mind, would you give a fair comparison?
- Intuitive Use / Easiness / Workflow (Very important)
- Sound Quality
- Reliability
- Remote mixing using tablet
- Features?

Do not really care about:
- Expandability (though it might be cool)
- Using with a computer (I have a $30 USB Audio interface to record mains and playback)

People who used/are familiar with both mixers, would you be able to help me out with choosing?

I know Qu-32 does not have scribble strips, but I am not sure how useful they are, and I’ve read many times that Qu-32 was easy to use, but how does it compare with the Impact? Again, inexperienced people will be using it, so I need the most intuitive interface possible.

And one negative thing I’ve seen about the Impact is.. Does the Impact really NOT have/easily support line level inputs? I am dumbfounded, but I really need to hook up CD player / Keyboard / Electronic Drums to the mixer, and I’ve seen some (very) concerning threads:

https://soundforums.net/forum/pro-audio/junior-varsity/10551-si-expression-inputs-mic-line-conflicting-info
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1100350-unofficial-soundcraft-si-mixer-thread-7.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:44:44 PM by Yoon Cha »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Si Impact vs Qu-32 - For inexperienced operators
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:41:53 AM »

How are you all?

I am sorry if similar threads have been done, but I searched in the forum extensively, but still seem to lack answers to make my final choice. I have searched very many digital mixers as I want to upgrade from analogue for church, and am finally contemplating between two:

--- Soundcraft Si Impact ---
--- Allen & Heath Qu-32 ---

I want to install this on a church, and I hope I will not be the only operator, so I am looking for the following. If you do not mind, would you give a fair comparison?
- Sound Quality
- Reliability
- Features?

Do not really care about:
- Expandability (though it might be cool)
- Using with a computer (I have a $30 USB Audio interface to record mains and playback)

People who used/are familiar with both mixers, would you be able to help me out with choosing?

I know Qu-32 does not have scribble strips, but I am not sure how useful they are, and I’ve read many times that Qu-32 was easy to use, but how does it compare with the Impact? Again, inexperienced people will be using it, so I need the most intuitive interface possible.

And one negative thing I’ve seen about the Impact is.. Does the Impact really NOT have/easily support line level inputs? I am dumbfounded, but I really need to hook up CD player / Keyboard / Electronic Drums to the mixer, and I’ve seen some (very) concerning threads:

https://soundforums.net/forum/pro-audio/junior-varsity/10551-si-expression-inputs-mic-line-conflicting-info
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1100350-unofficial-soundcraft-si-mixer-thread-7.html
You really should be running high impedance, unbalanced sources through a DI box and not straight into the desk.

Is there any particular reason that you narrowed down on these two desks?

The best option would be to get some hands on experience with both of them. Most sales guys will let you go into the shop and play with one for a bit to see how it feels and ease of use.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »

I am dumbfounded, but I really need to hook up CD player / Keyboard / Electronic Drums to the mixer, and I’ve seen some (very) concerning threads:

You really should be running high impedance, unbalanced sources through a DI box and not straight into the desk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are any of the sources he listed high impedance?

CD Player (-10dB unbalanced)
Keyboard (varies...maybe +4? unbal/bal?)
v-drums (+4 balanced)

In my experience you can run all of the listed sources into an XLR input (on a more recent board) with proper cabling & understanding of the sources.

(the Rane articles will explain this fully Yoon Cha)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »

You can also get terrible ground loop from all off them.  You can run them all into a mic input no problems, the output of the unit and the input of the desk will work just fine. There will be no isolation between them and you might even send some phantom power their way.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »

You can also get terrible ground loop from all off them.

You can run them all into a mic input no problems, the output of the unit and the input of the desk will work just fine.

There will be no isolation between them and you might even send some phantom power their way.

I see less and less ground loops as technology standards improve; though valid sometimes.

And valid considerations, though they always an issue.

If you only use hot and gnd then the hot/cold phantom power can't (less likely) get to the device.

In the end DI for line level sources is more of a case by case situation for me rather than a hard/fast rule.

----

OP, sorry to derail.

I can't compare & contrast both boards.

But I use Qu24 and installed Qu32 and like them a good bit. Though Impact was also a consideration for install.

As Jean-Pierre said, it would be best to have hands on experience with both. Read the manuals and watch some youtube videos on both boards if you can't do that. Study the block diagram so you know what they can and cannot do.

In the end they are both capable boards and will do a good job and will tick off all of your listed requirements.

- Sound Quality
- Reliability
- Features?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »

The QU has been very intuitive for multiple casual users to use for us.  Scribble strips really, IMO, are more for advanced users.  Unless you are getting creative in your use and using a dSnake the channels will be the same anyway so just label them.
Steve Swaffer

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 10:35:47 AM »

I just put a newby on our QU-32, and he has really taken to it quickly.  It's super easy to use.  Within an hour, you've got the basic controls down.  The hardest part is teaching new people about gain-staging, EQ, etc.  But as far as use of the QU-32, it's a winner.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »

Sound quality is basically a non issue.

The Qu wins in ease of use, feel and build quality. The iPad control app for the Qu is SOOOOOOOO much better than the one for the Soundcraft.
Actually I find the QU app is faster to use than the actual surface. I have the QU-pac32 and rarely miss having actual faders. 
I have put various QU's in installs and after a month or so most of those operators agree and rarely use the surface.

QU has a monitor mix app called "Qu You" that allow for a musicians to mix their own monitors without getting into any of the other board operations.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »

Having used just about every major unit out there, the one thing I can say is that when coming at it with a fresh mind, there really is no difference. They all pretty much do the same things. How they do it is a matter of learning it. So which ever unit you get, you will simply just learn. The path from point A to B is a little different in each mixer, but for the most part follows the same basic method. Find the appropriate menu / sub menu and make the needed change.

Many of the basic features are very easy to see and utilize. It is usually the more intricate changes that you make that will be harder to find; like changing an output port, or routing different mix busses around.

I say pick one that exceeds your current needs and meats your budget, don't worry about how easy it is to learn. You will figure it out, naturally.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 26 queries.