ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj use of my system NYE  (Read 50141 times)

James Hennessy

Re: Dj use of my system NYE
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »

When you're dealing with mobile DJs mixers have never been less standardized than they are now.  At clubs you'll usually find industry standards like the DJM900 or Xone92 but if it's a mobile DJ bringing out their gear I'd wager on it being a controller unless they're heavily invested.  All but the top of the line controllers are going to have 1/4'' and RCA outs so I'd be prepared for that scenario and hope for the best.   

James Hennessy

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »

If the DJ uses DJM900 then there is a mono/stereo switch but unfortunately this will affect all outputs (Master, rec and booth).

I haven't tried on the original DJM900 but on the DJM900 NXS2 you can set the master, booth and record outs to be mono or stereo separately in the utility menu. 

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »

So I'm just going to turn up with what I have and if he needs something different then that is down to him.

^ This. If he isn't a well known headlining DJ with a rider and is just playing out the rest of the night, plug a wedge or 2 direct into his booth outs and be done with it.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »

I'm guessing they will be RCA or 1/4" too....if they are  1/4" outs from his mixer to the DI boxes... can they be TRS or must they be TS?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 01:21:09 PM »

^ This. If he isn't a well known headlining DJ with a rider and is just playing out the rest of the night, plug a wedge or 2 direct into his booth outs and be done with it.

I'm only going to have one wedge with me because the band is mainly iem ... so he'll have to make do with that. If he can't be bothered to return my call or reach out to me, then I don't know why I should be concerned.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »

The band is playing a downtown show NYE and I have agreed for a fee to allow the DJ to play out the night through my system.
As the band comes off stage, the DJ will take over. I was going to patch the DJ mixer into a stereo channel of my mixer so it will be a seamless changeover. That way I can continue to have master control.
I contacted the DJ - left a message to ask what outputs he has on his mixer but he hasn't returned my call. I got his number from the promoter so he knows I tried to reach out.
So I'm just going to turn up with what I have and if he needs something different then that is down to him.
Most DJ mixers I have come across use either XLR or RCA outs. So I'll be using 2 x XLR > TR, or 2 x RCA > TR cords as my stereo ins are TR L & R line ins.  Any other combinations it could be?

Whatever you are using for your band's FOH subs double them (and amps) for the DJ.  1. Use a DI box that has an attenuator example:dPDB dual passive direct box.
2. You will need a limiter (or two) in series on the DJ's channel.....

On a NYE DJ'd sound gig three years ago the DJ kept clipping
(in the red) his mixer despite my advise.
I was using a Mixwiz and by the end of the night I had his channel's PAD engaged, TRIM all the way off(!) and his signal was still in the yellow on my board.
I finally clamped him at the limiter on the DBX2231.

Give me a band to mix any day.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »

Nice and easy but then how do I control how much volume he puts through the wedge? Presumably he will be less inclined to blow his own eardrums??

Debbie.. seriously.. these guys have filled your head with horror stories that simply don't apply here. You will be working with a wedding/corporate DJ not some prima dona superstar touring DJ/producer. This person is most likely used to running the whole event themselves which can include setup and operation of the whole PA system as well as being MC and will be just as concerned as you about producing good sound. You don't need to control his monitor(singular), and besides it'll be a self powered box right? It's got all the protection needed built in not that it will get used. I am now doing 80-100 corporate or wedding events a year with either a solo DJ or DJ/band combo and have not lost a single powered speaker yet. Yes you will need DIs in some cases but it will be more about eliminating a ground loop hum problem or isolating the DJ system from the phantom power you are using to drive condensers for the band.. depending how everything is connected. There have been lots of good suggestions for all kinds of what-if situations that may occur but I'm betting that this type event will be way easier and less stressful than what some here experience with other types of DJ performances.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »

Any advice on where to set my limiter outputs on my QU Pac for both L & R and booth L & R? I don't usually have to worry too much about this kind of stuff.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »

Debbie.. seriously.. these guys have filled your head with horror stories that simply don't apply here. You will be working with a wedding/corporate DJ not some prima dona superstar touring DJ/producer. This person is most likely used to running the whole event themselves which can include setup and operation of the whole PA system as well as being MC and will be just as concerned as you about producing good sound. You don't need to control his monitor(singular), and besides it'll be a self powered box right? It's got all the protection needed built in not that it will get used. I am now doing 80-100 corporate or wedding events a year with either a solo DJ or DJ/band combo and have not lost a single powered speaker yet. Yes you will need DIs in some cases but it will be more about eliminating a ground loop hum problem or isolating the DJ system from the phantom power you are using to drive condensers for the band.. depending how everything is connected. There have been lots of good suggestions for all kinds of what-if situations that may occur but I'm betting that this type event will be way easier and less stressful than what some here experience with other types of DJ performances.

Thanks Paul - that is good to hear ALTHOUGH I really appreciate all the input from those of you who have dealt with some of these scenarios. 

I just checked my gear and I have all the cables and adaptors I need for any situation thrown at me on the night  -  YAY (or at least I hope I do  ;) )
As long as those RCA's I have will work for me - Im good to go....

duane massey

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »

Just put a mic right behind his mixer, pointed slightly down towards the master, and then play your own music thru an iPod.......
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.