ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble getting monitor levels up with X18  (Read 8659 times)

Chris Doyle

Re: Trouble getting monitor levels up with X18
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »

Just took a look through that show file.  I would suggest a high and low cut filter on each monitor send.  I only see one notch on a monitor eq on send 1.  I also notice that all vocal gains are set the same, and all instrument gains are set the same. Either everyone is incredibly anal about the signal they are sending to the board, and their vocal dynamics are all the same, or you are not trimming input gain to each individual source. OR, this is an initial show file that wasn't saved after the show.

The input trim on the vox channels looks OK if you're using SM58s.  +25 is a little low compared to what I usually run, but it shouldn't be causing a problem. Routing is fine.  All aux sends are pre/pre.  Nothing would indicate to me that one aux fader would control more than one send. Everything is routed straight up with nothing doubled up or missing.

I wish I could be there in person to walk through things with you.  I would recommend setting low cut filters at 100hz ish on your monitors (particularly if you are using subs FOH), setting high cut filters at 8khz ish on the monitors, ringing out your monitors using the RTA, and carefully setting your trim on each input. Also, look at the polar pattern of each vocal mic and set the monitor in a suitable location.  If you maximize feedback rejection through proper physical placement of mics and monitors, careful gain staging and implement some filters that remove unneeded material from the wedges, your gain before feedback will greatly increase.  Then you take out a couple problem freqs using the RTA and you should be good to go.

A little more info about your rig could be helpful as well.  What are you using for mics, monitors, mains, processing etc...

Edited for spelling / change high cut freq...
Thanks, David!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

You definitely need to insert an equalizer (parametric)  on each set of monitors

No need.  It's already there.  Or a graphic EQ if you prefer.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 25 queries.