ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low cost hdmi switcher needed  (Read 6910 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Low cost hdmi switcher needed
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »

Continuing on topic, a run from mixer to video source is around 100’.
I see Roland VC-1-SH SDI to HDMI for sale in the marketplace. Would SDI be a good choice for the 100’ run? I am guessing that 75 ohm cable is what you use?
For converting the video source hdmi to sdi, would I need the Roland version, or will other units work. Given that I don’t want to spend $500 which is about what the  Roland hdmi to sdi costs, what would be a good value for this?
On benny for me would be reducing the number of cables to run to the video source (now I have a powered 120’ hdmi cable to the projector area and a pair of XLR cables to the mixer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »

Continuing on topic, a run from mixer to video source is around 100’.
I see Roland VC-1-SH SDI to HDMI for sale in the marketplace. Would SDI be a good choice for the 100’ run? I am guessing that 75 ohm cable is what you use?
For converting the video source hdmi to sdi, would I need the Roland version, or will other units work. Given that I don’t want to spend $500 which is about what the  Roland hdmi to sdi costs, what would be a good value for this?
On benny for me would be reducing the number of cables to run to the video source (now I have a powered 120’ hdmi cable to the projector area and a pair of XLR cables to the mixer.

I like SDI for longer video runs.  Sdi to hdmi converters can, at times be problematic, as sdi generally supports a range of resolution and scan rate combos that the TVs on the other side of the converter don’t support.   Depending on your source this may or may not be an issue for you. If you are starting hdmi, convert to sdi for the run and back to hdmi, then it almost always works...

Regardless, I like the cheap sdi converters that monoprice sells.  They generally work in the applications I use them in, but plenty of people have also had bad experiences where they don’t work - most often I think this is due to an incomplete understanding of 3G sdi level A and level B.   Many of these cheaper converters can’t handle level B correctly in my experience and see it as a 1080i stream....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »

I like SDI for longer video runs.  Sdi to hdmi converters can, at times be problematic, as sdi generally supports a range of resolution and scan rate combos that the TVs on the other side of the converter don’t support.   Depending on your source this may or may not be an issue for you. If you are starting hdmi, convert to sdi for the run and back to hdmi, then it almost always works...

Regardless, I like the cheap sdi converters that monoprice sells.  They generally work in the applications I use them in, but plenty of people have also had bad experiences where they don’t work - most often I think this is due to an incomplete understanding of 3G sdi level A and level B.   Many of these cheaper converters can’t handle level B correctly in my experience and see it as a 1080i stream....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the camp who doesn’t understand much about SDI. Educate me?

I think I want to do the HDMI to SDI for the long run (about 130’). I have been looking at all the less expensive converters on eBay and Amazon as well as at Monoprice.

The path I need would be
Source to Hdmi splitter
- 1 to original display
- 2 to SDI converter
SDI over 150’ coax
SDI to hdmi converter
To HDMI audio extractor
To HDMI switch

I worry about the number of boxes in the signal chain.
A HDMI to SDI converter with an HDMI through would be great as would a SDI to HDMI converter with extracted audio.

Still trying to keep the cost manageable what suggestions do all y’all have?

Thanks

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »

I am in the camp who doesn’t understand much about SDI. Educate me?

I think I want to do the HDMI to SDI for the long run (about 130’). I have been looking at all the less expensive converters on eBay and Amazon as well as at Monoprice.

The path I need would be
Source to Hdmi splitter
- 1 to original display
- 2 to SDI converter
SDI over 150’ coax
SDI to hdmi converter
To HDMI audio extractor
To HDMI switch

I worry about the number of boxes in the signal chain.
A HDMI to SDI converter with an HDMI through would be great as would a SDI to HDMI converter with extracted audio.

Still trying to keep the cost manageable what suggestions do all y’all have?

Thanks

SDI has two ports.  Each segment can be 100 meters.  I have had chains of flat panels on totems around a conference space that used up 1000' of cables.

We use the Black Magic MicroConverters and they work well for us.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.