ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiter calculations on driverack 260  (Read 3124 times)

Ben Polius

Limiter calculations on driverack 260
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »

Hi guys,

Im doing an installation this week. I will be putting four 8ohm speakers (150W rms each) in parallel on a channel of a crown 3600vz.

Could someone give me some pointers on calculating limiter threshold etc.?

I usually use XTA DP's on installs like this and there limiters never seem to fail me. Budget won't allow an XTA on this job though, and i want to get the most out of the speakers whilst protecting them properly.

Thanks

Ben

David Allred

Re: Limiter calculations on driverack 260
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »

Hi guys,

Im doing an installation this week. I will be putting four 8ohm speakers (150W rms each) in parallel on a channel of a crown 3600vz.

I usually use XTA DP's on installs like this and there limiters never seem to fail me. Budget won't allow an XTA on this job though, and i want to get the most out of the speakers whilst protecting them properly.

Thanks

Ben
I won't address the actual settings, but I will mention, if you don't already know, that the Peak Stop Plus option  toggles between peak limit (ON) and RMS limit (OFF).   Which way you go depends on system use, and which limit type you think is more critical.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »

There are a lot of "it depends", and I don't know what limiters are available on the 260.

But "in general", for "normal" music with a decent operator who pays attention, setting the limiters for the voltage at continuous power with an attack time of 1 cycle of the highpass filter is a good start.

Some people say 2 cycles, but that is up to you.

So around 35V.

If this is for "unmanned" abusive situations, then go for 1/2 that voltage (6dB down) and a longer attack time-maybe 1 second.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »

Hi guys,

Thanks

Ben

Seems like overkiil in the amplifier dept.  I take it this is an existing design that has a spare channel?  The 3600 will easily drive the 2 ohm load at the likely output level but that's the kind of design I try to avoid in installations.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.