ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Berhringer X32  (Read 6693 times)

John Burns

• John Burns
Berhringer X32
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »

Thanks for the add, I'm brand new in this forum.  I apologize in advance if my question has already been addressed.

The issue is that the praise team leader will read scripture or talk between songs.  I have to ride the fader because she will drop out of the house when she does that. I have been told that there is a way to set her mic channel so that I can set a "talk" level that is separate from the singing levels.  I need help figuring out how to do that. 

In other words, is there a fix so that I don't have to anticipate and ride her fader?

John Burns

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Berhringer X32
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »

I can't think of a feasible automated solution that doesn't require you to do something.

The real solution is to speak with your praise team leader about staying in the mic when speaking.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »

The real solution is to speak with your praise team leader about staying in the mic when speaking.
First we need to know what kind of mic.
Lav, headset, lectern, handheld?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »

In the config section of a channel strip you can select an input source.

By assigning two channel strips to the same input you can process each different and set the correct levels.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »

The only thing I can think of is to set up a ducker on the singers channels that is triggered by the Praise leaders channel. This will " duck the singers under her. The issue is that the singers will swell in and out, which to me is actually the way it should be. I prefer to set a peak level instead of trying to make something go above the level that is already there.

If you bus the singers to a single mix you can trigger that mix bus to duck to the praise leader schannel. This way you only have to set one setting to the whole group singers instead of one for each singer.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:12:53 PM by Luke Geis »
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »

I don't think any of the standard threshold level based ducking, expanding ect. tricks would work that consistent without day to day tweaking for the band inconsistency.

Talk to her about the mic technique during speaking and ride the fader, that's why they call in 'running sound"

Actually splitting her mic input into two channels, one for singing and one for talking with gain and EQ set as needed and going back and forth between them was not a bad suggestion.

Chris Penny

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »

While I normally just ride the faders when my WL's do this, I have heard of of people running parallel inputs for the WL singing v speaking as suggested by robert.  This can help ensure the processing on that channel is more appropriate for speech. However, you will still need to ride faders/ switch between channels using this method.
Sound Guy
Gymea Baptist Church
Sydney, Australia
www.gymeabaptist.org.au

John Burns

• John Burns
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:08:27 AM »

I can't think of a feasible automated solution that doesn't require you to do something.

Thanks but I have talked to her but she gets emotional and moves away from the mic. 
John Burns

John Burns

• John Burns
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:09:49 AM »

First we need to know what kind of mic.
Lav, headset, lectern, handheld?

Dynamic mic on boom stand. She is also the piano player.
John Burns

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »

Is there any weird processing on her channel that is specific to her singing vs her talking, I usually don't have too much of an eq difference between the two for my mixes personally but I can think of a few situations where there was.

I honestly think just riding the fader is the easiest option, you can maybe discus with her the the fact that a little heads up before the service as to when she is going to do it can help you a lot but sometimes these things are spontaneous.

Another question, what model microphone is she using, something that is hypercardiod might be good for bleed but maybe a cardiod microphone might assist in solving the problem.

If you have enough Gain Before Feedback(usually you don't) you can try some compression to give you a little more time to get to her channel as she is moving away.

Ergonomics wise I find it useful to always have my finger on the lead singers/worship leaders fader so that anything like that can be caught so I tend to make sure that its in a place where I can always get to it, you can maybe put things that you don't tweak that often on DCAs so that you can always stay on the bank that the vocals are on, alternatively put her voice alone on a DCA and keep your finger on it, also assign one of the quick assign keys to her mic's home page for quick access.

If the problem is simply that you are too lazy or preoccupied to just ride the fader, well the answer to that should come instinctively to you. The most important thing to do during praise and worship is to focus on what the band is doing during praise and worship and to hit your ques, even if they are unscripted.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:13:50 AM by Jean-Pierre Coetzee »
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.