ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Cost DSP Amplifiers  (Read 4686 times)

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Low Cost DSP Amplifiers
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:54:40 PM »

I am putting together a recommendation for a system going into a new sanctuary (rectangle, 64'wide, 34'deep, 175 cap). Ive pretty much decided on a pair of Peavey SSE 15 for mains, and now I'm looking at driving them. I would like a power amp with decent output, and a controller with limiting and EQ. Ive been looking into several dsp amps. Specifically, the Peavey IPR DSP 1600, Crown XTI 2000, and Crown XLS 1500 DriveCore. Do these amps perform well, and are their other options? Or would it be more cost effective to grab a used amp and used system controller?

Paul Walters

Re: Low Cost DSP Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »

Lots of people knock the XTI series, but I'm a big fan. For the money it's the best DSP amp you can buy, and not all of us can afford iTech or Lab Gruppen.
I'm less a fan of the XLS series, but if you got one you would want the 2500. It's the closest thing to 500w/ch @ 8Ohms you can get from that series.
I don't know anything about Peavey DSP amps, but I do know that the 1600 only rated for 530w@ 4 ohms, so I'd be looking for something more powerful (it only puts out 300-some watts/channel @ 8 ohms) in order to have as much headroom as possible.
Be looking on the Marketplace for used XTIs, I see a few pop up from time to time.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »

Hi, I needed a quick replacement amp just recently for a monitor rig (EAW VRM12's) and ended up with a XLS 1500 which was a great match (300w/ch at 8 ohms).  The DSP is limited in these (i.e. no eq) but it was great having an adjustable HPF and a form of peak limiting.  The artist was very happy with their monitor mix and commented on it a couple of times and the amp did everything that it needed to do, so all was good.
I'm not sure how well they would last being bounced around in the back of a truck (construction is ok but lightweight) but for fixed install they should be ok.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:51:57 PM by Jonathan Goodall »

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »

If you are going with Peavey why not just get there VSX26 DSP unit?
Then use any amplifier you want, plenty of great deals floating around on used amps.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »

I need equalization in the dsp, so I presume the XTI 2000 is my only real alternative to the peavey?

If you are going with Peavey why not just get there VSX26 DSP unit?
Then use any amplifier you want, plenty of great deals floating around on used amps.

Cost. I'm looking to spend $450 tops on controller+amp. What would be really cool would be a mixer/dsp/amp combo, but that would be asking too much.

I just had another idea. If I just need eq/limiting in the controller, would a behringer dsp8024+any used power amp do?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:48:39 PM by Chris Carpenter »

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:53 AM »

Well, seeing as you mentioned the "B" brand, what about these http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU6000DSP.aspx when they get released

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:49 AM »

Well, seeing as you mentioned the "B" brand, what about these http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU6000DSP.aspx when they get released

Any ideas when these are supposed to be released?

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:11:56 AM »

No, no idea.  Maybe at Pro Light and Sound in April???

Albert Thomas

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

I am putting together a recommendation for a system going into a new sanctuary (rectangle, 64'wide, 34'deep, 175 cap). Ive pretty much decided on a pair of Peavey SSE 15 for mains, and now I'm looking at driving them. I would like a power amp with decent output, and a controller with limiting and EQ. Ive been looking into several dsp amps. Specifically, the Peavey IPR DSP 1600, Crown XTI 2000, and Crown XLS 1500 DriveCore. Do these amps perform well, and are their other options? Or would it be more cost effective to grab a used amp and used system controller?

I'm happy with the price/performance of the XLS2500. It was able to drive EV Eliminator doubles and the I-subs in the passive mode (<4ohms) and fill a good sized high school gym no problem, no clipping. The 2500 is assembled in the USA the smaller ones are not, FWIW. I've since added a XLS2000 for bi-amping using the onboard x-overs and it's noticeably cleaner and punchier sounding now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.