ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I saw a unique PA on a cruise ship.  (Read 3021 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
I saw a unique PA on a cruise ship.
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »

I saw a unique PA system on a cruise ship.  (Well, unique to me anyway.)

It was a typical theater with curved row seating. In fact, it was a rather low ceiling for a theater. There was a Vegas style show on stage with a live big-band in the pit. The singers and dancers on stage apparently had lapel mics.

The Pa had no main stacks or arrays that I could see. Instead there were dozens of tiny bookshelf speakers attached to the ceiling all throughout the room. These speakers appeared to have a 4" or 5" driver and a dome tweeter. They were placed in a grid pattern maybe 10 feet apart in every direction. Each speaker would cover perhaps 5 or 6 seats wide and a few rows deep. There may have been some subs under the stage, I don't know.

The system sounded amazing. Every seat was a perfect seat for sound coverage and it was clean and full.

That was cool.
Member since 2005.

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
Re: I saw a unique PA on a cruise ship.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »

Welcome to the world of distributed sound.  In certain rooms, it is often the best solution.

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »

I saw a unique PA system on a cruise ship.  (Well, unique to me anyway.)

It was a typical theater with curved row seating. In fact, it was a rather low ceiling for a theater. There was a Vegas style show on stage with a live big-band in the pit. The singers and dancers on stage apparently had lapel mics.

The Pa had no main stacks or arrays that I could see. Instead there were dozens of tiny bookshelf speakers attached to the ceiling all throughout the room. These speakers appeared to have a 4" or 5" driver and a dome tweeter. They were placed in a grid pattern maybe 10 feet apart in every direction. Each speaker would cover perhaps 5 or 6 seats wide and a few rows deep. There may have been some subs under the stage, I don't know.

The system sounded amazing. Every seat was a perfect seat for sound coverage and it was clean and full.

That was cool.

Carnival Ecstasy had a system like that, but they recently upgraded to a line array. I didn't notice of the back fill speakers were still there or not. That ship has a couple of 18's on each side up front under the stairs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.