ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody using the turbosound IQ yet?  (Read 12175 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Anybody using the turbosound IQ yet?
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »

Just curious how these compare to something like the QSC K's.

I might be getting into a 1 sub, 2 mains, and 4 monitors, type little system pretty soon for a specific gig and the IQ is priced very competively. I will be using an XR18 for the mixer, so I'm wondering if these cabs will cut the mustard.

If anyone has played with them is there a significant reason to get the 12" over the 10"? Space will be at a premium for me because I'm trying to fit this in an suv.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jay Marr

Re: Anybody using the turbosound IQ yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »

I might be getting into a 1 sub, 2 mains, and 4 monitors, type little system pretty soon for a specific gig and the IQ is priced very competively. I will be using an XR18 for the mixer, so I'm wondering if these cabs will cut the mustard.

If anyone has played with them is there a significant reason to get the 12" over the 10"? Space will be at a premium for me because I'm trying to fit this in an suv.

I own a pair of IQ12s.  They're excellent for the money.

I went to a shootout where a Turbo rep brought all of the iQ series speakers.
We compared the K12s to the IQ12s.

This rep was a former QSC Rep and did not contribute one ounce to the conversations in the room (which was a good thing....he didn't want to influence any opinions).

Everyone in the room chose the IQ12's over the K12s (note....old K12s, not the new K.2 series.  They weren't out at the time).
The IQ12 sounded clearer and cleaner than the K12.  Better instrument separation, less harsh when driven really hard.
We drove them into limit and they were loud and still sounded decent.

Everyone chose the IQs over my QSC HPR122s, EAW LA212s, K12s (and a few other speakers).

Within the IQ range, the order of preference (for everyone in the room) was:  IQ12, then IQ8, then IQ10.
The IQ10 (which we did not get to compare to a K10), sounded a touch nasally in the mid range (compared to the IQ12 and IQ8).  The IQ8 was a surprisingly nice sounding speaker.

One of my friends (who is a pro touring engineer) bought the demo IQ8s (my guess is for his garage or something).   And I bought the demo IQ12s.
I use them for gigs where I want to put in as little effort as possible....or if it's a rowdy (small) room, and I don't want my RCF NX24s to get beat up.

If you find yourself near Boston (which I'm guessing is unlikely) you're welcome to try my IQ12s for a night.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:48:52 PM by Jay Marr »

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »

I've had an experience similar to Jay's. I've been using iQ12s over older passive Turbosound subs this summer, and am very happy for outdoor shows up to about 250 folks.
Colorado Springs, CO

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »

I own a pair of IQ12s.  They're excellent for the money.

I went to a shootout where a Turbo rep brought all of the iQ series speakers.
We compared the K12s to the IQ12s.

This rep was a former QSC Rep and did not contribute one ounce to the conversations in the room (which was a good thing....he didn't want to influence any opinions).

Everyone in the room chose the IQ12's over the K12s (note....old K12s, not the new K.2 series.  They weren't out at the time).
The IQ12 sounded clearer and cleaner than the K12.  Better instrument separation, less harsh when driven really hard.
We drove them into limit and they were loud and still sounded decent.

Everyone chose the IQs over my QSC HPR122s, EAW LA212s, K12s (and a few other speakers).

Within the IQ range, the order of preference (for everyone in the room) was:  IQ12, then IQ8, then IQ10.
The IQ10 (which we did not get to compare to a K10), sounded a touch nasally in the mid range (compared to the IQ12 and IQ8).  The IQ8 was a surprisingly nice sounding speaker.

One of my friends (who is a pro touring engineer) bought the demo IQ8s (my guess is for his garage or something).   And I bought the demo IQ12s.
I use them for gigs where I want to put in as little effort as possible....or if it's a rowdy (small) room, and I don't want my RCF NX24s to get beat up.

If you find yourself near Boston (which I'm guessing is unlikely) you're welcome to try my IQ12s for a night.

Good info. Was there anything wrong with the 10" other than it didn't sound quite as good?

What I'm curious about is, with the QSC K10 vs K12 almost everybody says get the K10. Just as much output, but in a smaller, lighter box. THe K10's will do the job I need them to do right now. And since space is an issue for me, I was hoping the IQ's would be similar. Basically, hoping that the 10" would be abput the same as the 12", but maybe a little less low-end or something.

Have you used them as monitors?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 06:57:24 AM »

I have three of the Iq10's that serve mostly as monitors and could't be happier. They do have a few emulation settings but find them best left on the stock Iq setting. They get plenty loud for FOH for me too on smaller jobs, I'll have them on a good size boat cruise tonight as mains. Highly recommended.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »

Tim -

https://soundforums.net/forum/pro-audio/junior-varsity/202208-turbosound-iq-ultranet-first-gig

My opinion is that the 12 is the "sweet spot" of the line, really good hifi sound, gets pretty loud with clean.  I would get them over the 10, the size difference is minimal.  The 10 makes quite a good wedge, for monitors I prefer ANY of the "emulations" of the 10 over the stock setting - crisper, more articulate, imo.

I own all tops but the 8 or 15 sub, the 18 sub is very nice sounding, clean, not woofy or one note. 

XR18/IQ via ultranet is what I seem to be using a lot lately, and I marvel at the performance per size/dollar.  Have fun.

-Tim T

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »

I currently use 4 iQ10 for wedges using cat 6 / Powercon Siamese cables and love them. Very clear. Not much eq necessary. Plenty loud for what I do.

I also use them over subs occasionally. They work fine in small venues.

I have a pair of QRx 112/75 that I A/B treated with the iQ12 and the Turbosound fell short. Understandably so. I took the iQ12 are a great bang for your buck for moderate sound level gigs. If I wouldn't have got such a great deal on the QRx, I would have went with the iQ12 for FOH in small clubs.

josephkf

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »

Does anyone compared the IQ15 top with the IQ 12? or the qsc K 12s previous generation?
I'm really interested in getting the IQ15's for big venue instead of the IQ 12s, but since you guys said that the 12 sounded better, I'm curious how the IQ15 compared to the IQ 12

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:01 AM »

Does anyone compared the IQ15 top with the IQ 12? or the qsc K 12s previous generation?
I'm really interested in getting the IQ15's for big venue instead of the IQ 12s, but since you guys said that the 12 sounded better, I'm curious how the IQ15 compared to the IQ 12
Welcome to the ProSoundWeb forums! You will find that there is a large wealth of information here, ready to be shared. However, per the Rules of Participation posted on every forum, as well as in the Registration Rules when you signed up, your Display Name does need to be your Real, Full Name in order to participate. Would you mind popping back into your profile and updating your Display Name to reflect your Real, Full Name? Unfortunately, we are unable to address your questions until you comply!

Thanks,

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.