Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

What ratio of sub to top are people using with JBL SRX

(1/3) > >>

Ben Polius:
I know this is totally subjective, but when I ordered this system the guy at Harman looked at me strangely and said ďthatís a lot of sub for those tops, are you sure?Ē

Now I was under the impression 1x srx835 would ourrun 2x srx818, maybe even 3, but coverage would be limited.

What are your experiences?

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: Ben Polius on November 29, 2017, 06:38:09 AM ---I know this is totally subjective, but when I ordered this system the guy at Harman looked at me strangely and said ďthatís a lot of sub for those tops, are you sure?Ē

Now I was under the impression 1x srx835 would ourrun 2x srx818, maybe even 3, but coverage would be limited.

What are your experiences?

--- End quote ---
What is your target volume?  If you want to run SRX835ps to their full capacity, you will need at least 2 SRX828sp per side, maybe more, depending on musical genre.  That's not a weakness of the SRX subs, but rather a reflection on low frequencies being a harder physics problem.  This ratio holds with every other speaker system, too.  That's the wrong way to approach this, however.  If your target volume is 90dB at 50' from the speakers, you will need considerably less than that. 

Keep in mind that with the SRX835ps, they are 60į speakers, so for coverage you may need 2 per side even if you don't need that many for volume. 

Ben Polius:

--- Quote from: TJ (Tom) Cornish on November 29, 2017, 08:45:36 AM ---What is your target volume?  If you want to run SRX835ps to their full capacity, you will need at least 2 SRX828sp per side, maybe more, depending on musical genre.  That's not a weakness of the SRX subs, but rather a reflection on low frequencies being a harder physics problem.  This ratio holds with every other speaker system, too.  That's the wrong way to approach this, however.  If your target volume is 90dB at 50' from the speakers, you will need considerably less than that. 

Keep in mind that with the SRX835ps, they are 60į speakers, so for coverage you may need 2 per side even if you don't need that many for volume.

--- End quote ---
That was my feeling exactly. I thought 4x 18ís per side and 1 top per side, 2 tops where more coverage is needed. For my first gig with it Iím going to use 2x18ís and 1xtop per side, Iím going to angle the tops in to the audience area as itís a fairly small space.

The guys at JBL weíre hinting toward 1x18 per 835. This didnít seem right to me so I ignored them when I ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Ben Polius on November 29, 2017, 11:39:15 AM ---That was my feeling exactly. I thought 4x 18ís per side and 1 top per side, 2 tops where more coverage is needed. For my first gig with it Iím going to use 2x18ís and 1xtop per side, Iím going to angle the tops in to the audience area as itís a fairly small space.

The guys at JBL weíre hinting toward 1x18 per 835. This didnít seem right to me so I ignored them when I ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

First you said "the guys at Harman" then you said "the guys at JBL" since they don't sell direct just who exactly are you talking to?   Who are you buying from?  If you are ordering small quantity and not buying from Mike Pyle more than likely you are paying too much.

Ray Aberle:
I believe Ben is based in the UK, so the "usual channels" us colonists use might not be available to him over there. The JBL/Harman distribution structure may be different. [Understood he's still not buying DIRECT from Harman, but he might also have talked to application engineers at Harman before actually buying...]

-Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version