ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with RF again - multiple units not working well stacked closely.  (Read 26937 times)

Terry Martin

Re: Problems with RF again - multiple units not working well stacked closely.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »

Debbie I’m dealing with RF issues too.   I’m not cured yet but have made some headway.   Have you read through my thread?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »

Just because it "worked" doesn't make it a good setup.

x2 to this - Keith, Dave and Ike speak the truth.  If you find yourself talking about your RF setup with the words "If I only..." or "If all I do is..." then it's not stable.

I will respectfully disagree with Keith, however, in that remoting your receive antennas will be better.  If you have a bunch of IEM Tx in a rack, the spacing of those may be enough to cause intermod products by themselves.  Combine that with the proximity to your Rx antennas, and your antenna farm has a lot of produce that you don't want.

Don't be an antenna farmer, Debbie - get yourself a combiner and get rid of the farm.  :D

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »

I will respectfully disagree with Keith, however, in that remoting your receive antennas will be better.
Don't be an antenna farmer, Debbie - get yourself a combiner and get rid of the farm.  :D
I agree this is the best solution but I was offering a cost effective, partially better solution  ;)
Having a bunch of TX antennas together is not optimum but as I recall, the OP claimed a problem on the mic receiver not the IEMs.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »

I agree this is the best solution but I was offering a cost effective, partially better solution  ;)
Having a bunch of TX antennas together is not optimum but as I recall, the OP claimed a problem on the mic receiver not the IEMs.

Right ...
I have only ever had the 2 issues with the mic - NOT the iems- EVER and the fact that moving the receiver 1 rack space away from the closest iem transmitter has solved the issue on both occasions, makes it hard to justify at this point spending money on a combiner.

If I had problems with the iems, I'd have no choice because that would become a nightmare for the guys in the band and I can't have that. But my issue is with my mic and I have a solution - it might not be considered the best solution but bottom line it works.

Also, something to consider, I never get RF noise or interference through my mic system. On both these 2 occasions, I couldn't get any stability on the RF signal meter whatsoever so it was obvious even before I unmuted the mic that something was up. When I unmuted and spoke, it sounded like a helicopter.
So its not like I ever get problems having the set the way it is.
That isn't to say I won't and this is why I am watching closely and aware I will probably need a combiner in the future.
That is unless the FCC screw us all first and take away what is left of the band width.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »

Debbie I’m dealing with RF issues too.   I’m not cured yet but have made some headway.   Have you read through my thread?

I just took a look Terry - thanks .. but I don't get those problems at all - just this one thing with the mic receiver that never normally happens except when it is within 1 rack space of an iem transmitter. Otherwise everything plays nicely.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

Right ...
I have only ever had the 2 issues with the mic - NOT the iems- EVER and the fact that moving the receiver 1 rack space away from the closest iem transmitter has solved the issue on both occasions, makes it hard to justify at this point spending money on a combiner.

If I had problems with the iems, I'd have no choice because that would become a nightmare for the guys in the band and I can't have that. But my issue is with my mic and I have a solution - it might not be considered the best solution but bottom line it works.

Also, something to consider, I never get RF noise or interference through my mic system. On both these 2 occasions, I couldn't get any stability on the RF signal meter whatsoever so it was obvious even before I unmuted the mic that something was up. When I unmuted and spoke, it sounded like a helicopter.
So its not like I ever get problems having the set the way it is.
That isn't to say I won't and this is why I am watching closely and aware I will probably need a combiner in the future.
That is unless the FCC screw us all first and take away what is left of the band width.
A friend had a similar problem and I suggested she mount the receiver on the rear panel of the rack and the IEM on the front.
Worked out well.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »

A friend had a similar problem and I suggested she mount the receiver on the rear panel of the rack and the IEM on the front.
Worked out well.

Ooh - I could try that too Keith - thanks.

Dan Currie

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »

I had a band come through a corporate event the other week with their 2x TX antenna bnc's loomed together.  Their TX LPDA's would have been 2 feet apart.  When I saw what was happening I politely said, 'You're not using that on this gig'.  I offered up a spare 50ft LMR400 they could use to separate the antennas. 

Maybe their setup is successful on most of their gigs, probably not, but with 50+ frequencies in the coordination I'm not going to let them try it on my watch.  My point is even without an antenna farm not properly deploying an IEM system can eat up a lot of usable/much needed spectrum.   

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »

So thinking about this ....

As I get no issues with the iems at this point, I have no real need to combine those antennas until there comes point down the road when it might become necessary. $1000 is a lot to lay out when no issues exist.
So for now, what if I get me some extension antenna cables, attach to the existing mic receiver BNC's in the rack and take the extended cable out to my boom stand I'm already using for the router ? 
It would move them away from the iem antennas and get them up high too. I'd just need to find a suitable way to attach them easily to the mic boom stand .

If I come across a combiner at a good price I'll get one for the iem units.
Would that help with the mic RF problem and allow me to stack the receiver back directly above the iem transmitter?... 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »

So thinking about this ....

As I get no issues with the iems at this point, I have no real need to combine those antennas until there comes point down the road when it might become necessary. $1000 is a lot to lay out when no issues exist.
So for now, what if I get me some extension antenna cables, attach to the existing mic receiver BNC's in the rack and take the extended cable out to my boom stand I'm already using for the router ? 
It would move them away from the iem antennas and get them up high too. I'd just need to find a suitable way to attach them easily to the mic boom stand .

If I come across a combiner at a good price I'll get one for the iem units.
Would that help with the mic RF problem and allow me to stack the receiver back directly above the iem transmitter?...

Perhaps a Faraday cage around the offending unit(s)?

I'd separate the IEM transmitters and wireless mic receiver - put them in different racks.  You can put the IEM transmitters on the stage and your wireless mic receiver at FOH with you
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.