ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Explain  (Read 3125 times)

craig.jones8

Explain
« on: November 22, 2017, 08:08:25 AM »

Saw this set up at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff at the Deep Purple gig. Hopefully the array at the rear was the in-house pa and not operational or am I missing something? Anyway the sound was really surprisingly good for a change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Explain
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »

Saw this set up at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff at the Deep Purple gig. Hopefully the array at the rear was the in-house pa and not operational or am I missing something? Anyway the sound was really surprisingly good for a change.

The rear array is subwoofers.  This is a common deployment method.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »

This setup can allow for a pretty accurate alignment of low frequency overlap of the subs to the tops.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »

As the others have said, those are subwoofers.  Makes it easier to get more phase overlap in the acoustic crossover.

They probably had subs on the floor, too, and by delaying those relative to the flow subs, the sub lobe can be steered vertically.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

craig.jones8

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. Yes,they did have a load of subs running across the front of the stage. The sound was really good. We were eight rows from the front. Usually, the sound is atrocious at the Foh position. My mate usually says that the engineer must have his ears painted on!!!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »

There isn't much of a deck and pick point height, another plus to this method is that it will keep a lot of energy off the deck and the ceiling. This allows the subs on the floor to work in fairly well with the main hang and some directionality can be made. If I could do this more often with PS systems I would. Such a misunderstood concept.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.