ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 Megawatt Load Bank  (Read 11743 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
5 Megawatt Load Bank
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »

I was looking around for a surplus load bank for some of my experiments and I came upon this semi-trailer version. Now the picture says 5 mW which I always thought a lower case "m" denoted milliwatts, but I'm pretty sure this is a 5 MegaWatt load bank as in 5 million or 5,000,000 watts. I don't know why, but I really want one of these... ;D

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: 5 Megawatt Load Bank
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:21:55 PM »

I was looking around for a surplus load bank for some of my experiments and I came upon this semi-trailer version. Now the picture says 5 mW which I always thought a lower case "m" denoted milliwatts, but I'm pretty sure this is a 5 MegaWatt load bank as in 5 million or 5,000,000 watts. I don't know why, but I really want one of these... ;D
It's interesting the assumptions that different industries make - e.g. "high voltage" in the electronics industry would be 120V while "low voltage" in the electrical trade would be 120V, and 7KV might be "low voltage" in the distribution trade.

I wonder what impedance this thing is and what input voltage it is designed for - whatever "medium voltage" is.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »

Mrs Sokol may not be keen on giving up her parking spot...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »

It's interesting the assumptions that different industries make - e.g. "high voltage" in the electronics industry would be 120V while "low voltage" in the electrical trade would be 120V, and 7KV might be "low voltage" in the distribution trade.

I'm pretty sure in the power industry that anything below 600 volts is considered "low voltage". I took a 600 volt shock hand-to-hand once, and it was terrifying. I'm thinking that 600 to at least 11,000 volts is considered "medium voltage" since that's what is commonly found on the street power lines. The high voltage rating goes upwards to at least 500,000 volts around here and even 1 million volts in some high-tension lines. That's a whole lotta volts... 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:20:05 PM by Mike Sokol »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »

Mrs Sokol may not be keen on giving up her parking spot...

She already kicked my Hammond B3 and Leslie out of the living room years ago.  ;)

David Buckley

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »

On a warm day that will be a thoroughly unpleasant thing to be anywhere near to.  Just a couple of hundred KVA of load bank turns a cold day to hot beach, so 5MW, faaaaark...

A note that it is a MV unit, so there will be a fairly chunky transformer in that container as well as the fan heater.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »

At the radio station transmitter site, we had a 50,000 Watt @ 100 MHz dummy load. It was just a little larger than a coffee can and the heating element was the size of a cigar. But it also had a car radiator, fan and water pump,
Speedskater

Mike Sokol

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »

On a warm day that will be a thoroughly unpleasant thing to be anywhere near to.  Just a couple of hundred KVA of load bank turns a cold day to hot beach, so 5MW, faaaaark...
So you're saying I could roast marshmallows over it like a campfire? That's another win in the plus column...  ;) BTW: Just how many watts does a campfire output?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:18:02 PM by Mike Sokol »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:28:28 AM »

I'm pretty sure in the power industry that anything below 600 volts is considered "low voltage". I took a 600 volt shock hand-to-hand once, and it was terrifying. I'm thinking that 600 to at least 11,000 volts is considered "medium voltage" since that's what is commonly found on the street power lines. The high voltage rating goes upwards to at least 500,000 volts around here and even 1 million volts in some high-tension lines. That's a whole lotta volts...
On that scale, static would only be high medium voltage.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »

On that scale, static would only be high medium voltage.  8)

I just found the ANSI definitions. So 99.9 kV is considered "Medium" voltage. Holy crap...

Voltage classes: (ANSI C84.1-2016)

Low Voltage: 1000 volts or less

Medium Voltage: greater than 1000 volts and less than 100 kV

High Voltage: greater than 100 kV and equal to or less than 230 kV

Extra-High Voltage: greater than 230 kV but less than 1000 kV

Ultra-High Voltage: equal to or greater than 1000 kV

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.