ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover, L-Pad, Impedence, Resistance question  (Read 20776 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Crossover, L-Pad, Impedence, Resistance question
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

The problem is that 2+ becomes negative and completes the circuit in bridge mode, and therefore has to be connected to the X-Over negative input at that time. 
Yes and no. The 2+ output of the amp has to be connected to the negative input of the crossover for Bridged output but that is best done at the amplifier end, and the crossover inputs should remain at 1+ and 1-. You could make a special speakon cable for bridged or install yet another switch in the cab but this is an accident waiting to happen or at the very least time wasted troubleshooting a no sound problem at setup for an event when you unknowingly reverse that special cable. Don't under estimate the value of keeping it simple.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:03:45 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2017, 07:11:52 PM »

Yes and no. The 2+ output of the amp has to be connected to the negative input of the crossover for Bridged output but that is best done at the amplifier end, and the crossover inputs should remain at 1+ and 1-.
  So leaving 1- connected to the x-over at all times will not short channel 1 in bridge mode?
You could make a special Speakon cable for bridged
It seems I'd have to make a special cable for this anyway - I'd have to route the 2+ from the amp to the 1- on the input.(?) Right now, I have a 4-pole Speakon cable with only the plus pins wired.  This is my specially labeled "bridge cable."  The most ideal thing as you say would be to use one standard 4-pole cable, whether it's bridged or not, where the ends don't matter which component they're hooked up to, and just be sure the switch is in the correct position.

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »

So leaving 1- connected to the x-over at all times will not short channel 1 in bridge mode?
If this is true, I can leave out the 1- switch in my drawing, and leave 1- connected to the common of the X-over all the time, only switching 2+ to the common when I'm using bridge mode.  This then allows me to go back to just one, 4-pole double-throw switch.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 07:20:55 PM »

So leaving 1- connected to the x-over at all times will not short channel 1 in bridge mode? It seems I'd have to make a special cable for this anyway
No and no if you use a patch panel. You install a special Bridged speakon connector on it with 1+/1- at the speakon wired to 1+/2+ at the amplifier.

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »

No and no if you use a patch panel. You install a special Bridged speakon connector on it with 1+/1- at the speakon wired to 1+/2+ at the amplifier.
So, like this drawing.  Excellent!  I will convert the 'special' cable back to standard, and use my patch panel.  Then if I lose my cable or it breaks, no biggie to swap it out.  One cable connected to one of two clearly labeled outputs on the patch-panel, one single switch, and one single input jack. Simple = better.  Thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.