ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: I could hear every word from the announcer but...  (Read 36664 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: I could hear every word from the announcer but...
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »

Up thread Ivan mentioned that one of the things on another proposal was $3m worth of acoustic treatments, treatments that DSL's design did not require.

The LF mush build up that occurs because there are essentially low pass filters built into the architecture - that's a major design fail.  It exemplifies the negative impact of Project Creep during construction - things get done because they seem like a good idea, without regard to impact on anything but mechanical systems and pedestrian/personnel access (and sometimes not those, either).

This will be another stadium I'll be happy to avoid for any reason.
For sports events they probably don't mind the LF reverberation build up (louder means more excitement), for music not so much.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Norris

« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »

Of course the "acoustic prediction" was based on STIpa-so vocal intelligibility, NOT full range music.  The main reason was that in the old facility, there was literally no intellilgibility.  You could make out every couple of words-IF you were lucky.  The "management" wanted much better clarity.  Which they have.

The "big mush" is down below 150Hz or so, 90Hzish is what comes to mind.

Stopping or absorbing THOSE freq are a whole different ball game.

The $3million, would have been for the vocal range (if they had gone with the previous design), and would still not really address the deeper freq.

My gut feeling is that to lower the long RT to an acceptable level is going to take A LOT more than $3m.  I think at least another zero. 

When you see the shear size of the space and the areas to be treated, you say WOW, that's gonna take A BUNCH of fuzz---------------- :)

Some real design and consideration needs to be done, and not just "throwing up some fuzz", which won't address the real issue.  In this case, putting lots of stuff in the wrong place is a complete waste of money.

Perhaps the most sensible thing to do for the largest musical acts playing Atlanta is to simply avoid this hole, and continue to use Ga. Tech's stadium, which is more of a neutral acoustic space.  I still remember how fabulous the sound was at Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour show there in the '90s.

David Allred

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »

Perhaps the most sensible thing to do for the largest musical acts playing Atlanta is to simply avoid this hole, and continue to use Ga. Tech's stadium, which is more of a neutral acoustic space.  I still remember how fabulous the sound was at Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour show there in the '90s.

Was that a quadraphonic tour?

Gert Ryding

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »

"Some real design and consideration needs to be done, and not just "throwing up some fuzz", which won't address the real issue.  In this case, putting lots of stuff in the wrong place is a complete waste of money."

Which is the tragedy which repeats itself, year after year…..
It never stopped to amaze me, during my 25 years on the road, how little attention to sound /the use of
the new Consert Hall-Community Hall-Big Arena etc the the people who picked up the bill paid to this.
If an exprerienced sound engineer or installation firm had just a day or two, early in the project,
so much time and money would be saved. And a better experience/result for all.

chris johnson

« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2017, 10:51:15 AM »

Hey hey all. It just so happens I worked the in and out for what I think was the next gig on this Garth tour in Lincoln, NE, and I was on audio, and had a minute to ask the guy I was working with about this on the load out. He pretty much told me this whole gig was f***ed from the beginning. He had tons of trouble advancing, because I believe he said the venue was brand new, and that he had to hire on extra people just to make it happen. He said they, the venue, were pretty much not prepared to do a huge concert yet. He said at load out, they had hardly any loaders or something like that, and that it took them to 6 am to get out of there. This was days later, and he said he was still recovering, and you could tell. Sounded to me like the whole crew knew going into this gig that things weren't up to the usual standards on their end, despite doing everything they could beforehand. Dude was run ragged. My two cents. I don't think these guys even had the time to tweak things and make it all sound amazing everywhere. Sounds like they were just trying to get it all working so the show could happen and it was all a mess. My two cents.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »

I don't think these guys even had the time to tweak things and make it all sound amazing everywhere.
How many concerts (of a decently large scale) have you been to that had it "sounding amazing everywhere"?  That would be pretty rare.  A friend of mine attended a high profile (ie big name) show and had pretty decent seats in a different "large" venue.

The PA was supposedly know for "providing the same sound everywhere".  He said it was fine during the songs-because you "already knew all the words".  But when the artist was talking between songs, everybody around them was saying "can you understand what he is saying?"

I would not call that "sounding amazing" everywhere.

Trust me on this, having some more time to "tweak" would not have fixed the major problems in this room with the gear that was used.

A friend of mine overheard a conversation on the train ride in to the stadium for the football game after the concert.

A lady said she has been working concerts at the major arenas in downtown Atlanta for years.

What stood out for her was how short the sound check was.  She said it was about 20 minutes.  That seemed very unusual to her, and she is a "food concession" lady, not an audio person.

I was not there, so have no idea about the actual soundcheck, just relaying what was overheard.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

chris johnson

« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »

How many concerts (of a decently large scale) have you been to that had it "sounding amazing everywhere"?  That would be pretty rare.  A friend of mine attended a high profile (ie big name) show and had pretty decent seats in a different "large" venue.

The PA was supposedly know for "providing the same sound everywhere".  He said it was fine during the songs-because you "already knew all the words".  But when the artist was talking between songs, everybody around them was saying "can you understand what he is saying?"

I would not call that "sounding amazing" everywhere.

Trust me on this, having some more time to "tweak" would not have fixed the major problems in this room with the gear that was used.

A friend of mine overheard a conversation on the train ride in to the stadium for the football game after the concert.

A lady said she has been working concerts at the major arenas in downtown Atlanta for years.

What stood out for her was how short the sound check was.  She said it was about 20 minutes.  That seemed very unusual to her, and she is a "food concession" lady, not an audio person.

I was not there, so have no idea about the actual soundcheck, just relaying what was overheard.

It sounded to me like they barely had time to get things set up. Is it not totally possible that if they had a normal day they would have had time to address issues such as maybe tying into the house rig and resolving some of these issues they had?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2017, 05:19:40 PM »

It sounded to me like they barely had time to get things set up. Is it not totally possible that if they had a normal day they would have had time to address issues such as maybe tying into the house rig and resolving some of these issues they had?
They did not plan on tying into the house rig that day.

The "original" plan, back in the summer, was that the portable system would cover the floor and lower seating areas (100 level), and the house system would cover the 200 and 300 levels.  The house system is zoned so that various parts can be turned off as needed for smaller events, without having to reaim the loudspeakers.

We were informed a couple of days before the show that the house system was not going to be used, and they were going to fly delays.  Which is what happened.

We had sent coverage maps of what the coverage would be with the lower level speakers turned off (months before the show), so they had an idea of what would need to be covered.

They (whoever that is-I don't know specifically) decided not to use the house system.

The plan (by the production company) for the next show is to tie into the house system.

Here is a little video that was taken last week, with an empty house, full system on, at a good healthy level, in the "cheap seats"-where most of the complaints came from.  Although there were a number of complaints from the floor seats-that were in the direct coverage of the portable system.

It is just a phone video.

Compare this to some of the videos taken at the "concert in question".

https://www.facebook.com/wildwoodluthier/videos/10155092362768601/

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

chris johnson

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »

They did not plan on tying into the house rig that day.

The "original" plan, back in the summer, was that the portable system would cover the floor and lower seating areas (100 level), and the house system would cover the 200 and 300 levels.  The house system is zoned so that various parts can be turned off as needed for smaller events, without having to reaim the loudspeakers.

We were informed a couple of days before the show that the house system was not going to be used, and they were going to fly delays.  Which is what happened.

We had sent coverage maps of what the coverage would be with the lower level speakers turned off (months before the show), so they had an idea of what would need to be covered.

They (whoever that is-I don't know specifically) decided not to use the house system.

The plan (by the production company) for the next show is to tie into the house system.

Here is a little video that was taken last week, with an empty house, full system on, at a good healthy level, in the "cheap seats"-where most of the complaints came from.  Although there were a number of complaints from the floor seats-that were in the direct coverage of the portable system.

It is just a phone video.

Compare this to some of the videos taken at the "concert in question".

https://www.facebook.com/wildwoodluthier/videos/10155092362768601/

gotcha. thanks for the info. i am just going off of the convo i had while pushing stuff around on load out. he said there were too many problems to list with the whole event. no clue what that entails. live and learn right? i have worked opening day a couple smaller places here and there in my life. there are always surprises :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.