ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable System for School Gym  (Read 3126 times)

Reo Garvin

Portable System for School Gym
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »

Hey, I have been tasked with upgrading our school pa system so it can handle events in the Gym. Our gym is pretty standard baskeball court sized, very little room at the edges, about 100' by 60', 20 ft ceilings....

Currently our big test is Commencement with 700 attendees. Our system is currently a Peavey XR8600D with four peavey PR 15 loudspeakers on stands. The biggest complaint is it isn't loud enough at the back.....

I am worried about budget but might have as much as $6000 to spend. I would like to stay portable because we also use the system in the cafeteria for grade 7/8 dances, and maybe high school dances. Small school 200 kids at a dance would be alot. The PA is older, and so are two of the speakers, I have replaced tweeters in two and a sub in one already. Brand new equipment probably a good thing. Subs would probably need to be off to the side for assemblies as the look might be off putting for events.

I am open to active or passive speakers, could go wireless if it makes sense technically or economically.

Thanks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »

Hey, I have been tasked with upgrading our school pa system

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

zack boupha

Re: Portable System for School Gym
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:27:15 AM »

Hey, I have been tasked with upgrading our school pa system so it can handle events in the Gym. Our gym is pretty standard baskeball court sized, very little room at the edges, about 100' by 60', 20 ft ceilings....

Currently our big test is Commencement with 700 attendees. Our system is currently a Peavey XR8600D with four peavey PR 15 loudspeakers on stands. The biggest complaint is it isn't loud enough at the back.....

I am worried about budget but might have as much as $6000 to spend. I would like to stay portable because we also use the system in the cafeteria for grade 7/8 dances, and maybe high school dances. Small school 200 kids at a dance would be alot. The PA is older, and so are two of the speakers, I have replaced tweeters in two and a sub in one already. Brand new equipment probably a good thing. Subs would probably need to be off to the side for assemblies as the look might be off putting for events.

I am open to active or passive speakers, could go wireless if it makes sense technically or economically.

Thanks

Do some reading and go demo yamaha dsr115.  I see rave reviews on them.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:16:50 PM »

Getting good intelligibility in a gym is always a challenge.  Definitely look at the Yamahas; good definition, volume and warranty.
Get the speakers up high and tilt them down to keep the sound off the walls.
Another ploy is to have a pair of delay speakers to cover the back rows.  Cranking the mains to get coverage generally overloads the room with reverberations, making it loud, but you can't hear anything.  I would consider 15's for mains and 12s or 102 for delays.  Both the DXR and DSR lines are really good.

If there's a decent local provider, you might consult or rent before buying.
If you post your location, someone here may reply. 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:16:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.