ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing Antenna Types for near / far coverage  (Read 7609 times)

Mike Karseboom

Re: Mixing Antenna Types for near / far coverage
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »

Just wanted to give an update after the event.  I did get the 1/2 wave antennae up to about 7 feet and also T'd in two paddle antennae using  Mini Circuits splitters.  The Paddles were up about 12 feet secured above two of the canopy legs.

The coverage was very solid with no dropouts for the close choir and MC.  The MC could also wander down the street at least 800 feet with no dropouts.  The mic even worked inside a couple of the businesses down the block.  That impressed me.

Thanks for all the help and advice.  Now if I only had some slightly better quality capsules in those mics.  They are super convenient but tend to feedback a lot more than something like an SM58.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »

They are super convenient but tend to feedback a lot more than something like an SM58.
What caps are they and why do you think they feed back more?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »

What caps are they and why do you think they feed back more?

AT-3000 series T-341B hand held mics with non- replaceable capsules.  I suppose they might have a more open pattern than an SM-58 or perhaps the off axis response is not as smooth. 

I have had 4x of them for 4 years or so and they are always more feedback prone than any of my directional wired mics.   The feedback frequencies are all over the board from 125Hz to 8kHz and vary for each venue.

I normally use the 0dB or +6dB internal gain setting and low RF power.  I do take time with gain staging and also ring them out but they just seem far less stable than an SM-58, Beta58, or OM7.  They exhibit more handling noise also.     

The only other wireless mics I have worked with much were Shure SLX and BLX with SM-58 and Beta58 capsules.  I've had performers jump down into the crowd with these right in front of the mains and not had much of an issue with feedback.  The AT's would never survive that.

On the other hand AT's do have sold reception and decent build quality.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.