ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First Run - all good except the EDM guys  (Read 7675 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Re: First Run - all good except the EDM guys
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »

the DJ told me the next song was "engineered to sound like the speakers would be clipping but that was just the sound".

What's going on here? Can someone educate this noob?

Square waves (a digital on/off signal; like the sound of an old modem) destroy speakers and just sound awful.  DJs who don't own any PA equipment don't give a crap what they sound like, nor what they are attempting destroy.

Someone needs to invent a "square wave-chopper-upper" with "automatic-reconversion-to-analogue-assimilator" plug-in.  Can't hurt!

-Dennis

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 12:33:13 PM »

Square waves (a digital on/off signal; like the sound of an old modem) destroy speakers and just sound awful.  DJs who don't own any PA equipment don't give a crap what they sound like, nor what they are attempting destroy.

Someone needs to invent a "square wave-chopper-upper" with "automatic-reconversion-to-analogue-assimilator" plug-in.  Can't hurt!

-Dennis
Square waves don’t intrinsically harm loudspeakers. They are a basic building block of synthesis and are found in lots of music.

What harms speaker drivers are too much impulse power - a dropped mic or unplugged guitar that causes the voice coil to open or the diaphragm/cone to crash into the suspension, or too much heating power from sustained level of any shape, which can burn up the voice coil over time.

I’m not arguing that square waves sound good or that DJs who operate this way aren’t wrong, but padding the level or turning it down will prevent your gear being damaged, even if sent a full square wave.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »

Square waves don’t intrinsically harm loudspeakers. They are a basic building block of synthesis and are found in lots of music.

What harms speaker drivers are too much impulse power - a dropped mic or unplugged guitar that causes the voice coil to open or the diaphragm/cone to crash into the suspension, or too much heating power from sustained level of any shape, which can burn up the voice coil over time.

I’m not arguing that square waves sound good or that DJs who operate this way aren’t wrong, but padding the level or turning it down will prevent your gear being damaged, even if sent a full square wave.

I find it best to talk to the dj before the gig. I tell them I have plenty of pa and will make sure the audience gets plenty.
I also tell them to stay out of the red as it will simply make them sound bad and, like them, I want their show to go well.

I then have them send me a signal (which I check on their board) and set my gain conservatively.

I then turn it up and have them come out and listen.

I tell them if they turn it up into the red, I will turn it down.

Works some of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »

If Pioneer would hide a "max gain" switch inside the mixer or implement it in software with a password it would be a lot easier.

Haven´t tried it, but from what I know using the rec out (RCA) on a Pioneer DJM mixer will give You a pre Master feed. Shoul´d be a little better...

Stephen Fairchild

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's a whole new ball game mixing for DJs and especially DJ producers making their own tracks. I guess I'll learn as I go and will be a LOT more prepared for the next night with guys like that on the bill.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 01:41:49 PM »

Haven´t tried it, but from what I know using the rec out (RCA) on a Pioneer DJM mixer will give You a pre Master feed. Shoul´d be a little better...

Can anyone verify this?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »

Can anyone verify this?

I just tried it on a DJM-800 and rec out is pre Master.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »

I just tried it on a DJM-800 and rec out is pre Master.
Now THAT'S something I can use! Gotta check it out on some other mixers now...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »

Now THAT'S something I can use! Gotta check it out on some other mixers now...

Get a Radial or similar -10 to +4 box and you’re good to go.

This is very good info.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.