ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft SI Expression - EQ settings for monitors different than main buss?  (Read 6539 times)

Steven Gregory

Hey All.
Question regarding Soundcraft SI Expression 1, (16 chan)
Is it possible to create monitor mixes with different  EQ settings than those set in the main (LR) buss.?
EX: nice warm EQ for the mains and a bit brighter and less bottom for the stage wedges.
Can someone walk me through that?

Thanks.

Joel Mevis

Hey All.
Is it possible to create monitor mixes with different  EQ settings than those set in the main (LR) buss.?
EX: nice warm EQ for the mains and a bit brighter and less bottom for the stage wedges.

Thanks.

I have an SI Impact but it should be the same.

Select the Mix you want to edit (faders should turn orange/yellow).
Press the select button on the L&R or Mono, which ever one glows. I don't remember exactly I think its mono though.
Then adjust eq/compression etc on that mix.

Or you could then adjust the GEQ of that mix.

Another way to do it, is to go to what ever page all your aux mixes are on. Page C maybe?
Press the select button under the mix number you want and then adjust the Eq.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Hey All.

Thanks.

You can "voice" the individual monitor MIXES with output EQ.  Shelf-filtering the wedge mixes, -6dB @ 200Hz - give or take - will clear up much of the mud you get from the LF coupling of the wedge's LF with the stage floor.

The alternative is to assign more than 1 input strip to the same physical input; use 1 strip for FOH mixing and another set for post EQ sends, and use that input strip to send to monitors.  This allows you to have completely separate channel strip EQ for FOH and monitors but it also has some drawbacks - there is only 1 preamp for each physical input so you don't have independent input gains; you need to keep them organized in your mind (and labeled) as to which input strips are mains and which are monitors... but you'll have full channel strip EQ for the inputs going to monitors, which can be a really big help (and does not change the need to use the MIX output EQs for feedback control and mix voicing).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

You can "voice" the individual monitor MIXES with output EQ.  Shelf-filtering the wedge mixes, -6dB @ 200Hz - give or take - will clear up much of the mud you get from the LF coupling of the wedge's LF with the stage floor.

The alternative is to assign more than 1 input strip to the same physical input; use 1 strip for FOH mixing and another set for post EQ sends, and use that input strip to send to monitors.  This allows you to have completely separate channel strip EQ for FOH and monitors but it also has some drawbacks - there is only 1 preamp for each physical input so you don't have independent input gains; you need to keep them organized in your mind (and labeled) as to which input strips are mains and which are monitors... but you'll have full channel strip EQ for the inputs going to monitors, which can be a really big help (and does not change the need to use the MIX output EQs for feedback control and mix voicing).

Tim hit the nail on the head. OP watch this video to give you a better understanding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HVYx1Pq7w

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

As has already been said. Create a group/MIX 1-14. Assign an output to the mix. i.e. output 6 for mix 6. Run that output to the IEM or monitor amp. Assign members of the group (every channel if you want). Press the MIX button for the mix you want. press the EQ high/low button. Adjust to taste. You can set the EQ for every mix and every output.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Ferreira

As has already been said. Create a group/MIX 1-14. Assign an output to the mix. i.e. output 6 for mix 6. Run that output to the IEM or monitor amp. Assign members of the group (every channel if you want). Press the MIX button for the mix you want. press the EQ high/low button. Adjust to taste. You can set the EQ for every mix and every output.

Bob,
That works for a general mix EQ. If you want an individual channel strip eq'd to taste you would need to go the double patch route. The video I posted gives a good explanation on it.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

Bob,
That works for a general mix EQ. If you want an individual channel strip eq'd to taste you would need to go the double patch route. The video I posted gives a good explanation on it.

But that's what the OP asked about.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

Bob,

Correct. My fault thinking group eq.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:18:11 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika

No, but you could assign some other channel the same inputs, um... doubling... For instance, if you have a regular band, for instance, 14 channels, you have them on your first layer, and on the second layer the channels 15 - 28, assign inputs 1 to 14, and use that layer for monitors.

Channels share the gain, but you can eq them differently, apply compressor, etc...

Quite useful, at least for vocals, I do it all the time with vocals...
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 25 queries.