ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/8" self powered conference mic?  (Read 6553 times)

Jake Wolf

Re: 1/8" self powered conference mic?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »

It is a condenser mic so it will require external power. Your laptop provides bias power to the mic already but your camera doesn't, unless it is one that requires a TRRS connector.

it has separate mic and headphone jacks, so I don't get the impression I'd need an adaptor like one would with a combo jack.   

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »

If I were in your shoes I would get a Zoom H1 and send the line output into the camera. There are lots of resources online about how to do this. The H1 sounds excellent for the $ as long as the application is stationary; they are prone to handling noise.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 12:54:36 PM »

I'll try the AT. 

thanks for holding back from being "far ruder", if you feel this situation required drastic rudeness in order to be accurate.  I wouldnt think so, but whatever floats your boat.  Thanks for the recommendation anyway.

You should understand that we get a somewhat constant stream of people who ask advice and then do the opposite.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »

What does the headphone jack have anything to do with the power to the mic?

Sometimes the TRRS is used to input a stereo mic plus bias power. Since I don’t know your camera I can only guess at this point.

Since it works with your computer there is obviously a connection difference compared to the camera input jack, or maybe it doesn’t provide bias power for some reason.

Edit: Here is a pinout link for a generic canon videocam

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-connect-an-external-microphone-to-a-Canon-c
it has separate mic and headphone jacks, so I don't get the impression I'd need an adaptor like one would with a combo jack.   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:01:41 PM by Robert Lofgren »

Jake Wolf

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »

You should understand that we get a somewhat constant stream of people who ask advice and then do the opposite.

Ive been a mod on a musical instrument forum for years.  Im aware of how these things go.  Lots of people come on looking for advice, just to do the opposite.  you suggested a product that has lousy reviews on Amazon for reliability and sound quality.  I'm not ignoring your advice for its own sake.  I am trying to find the best version of a type of product.  If you told me you've owned one for 5 years and its worked flawlessly I would take your advice. 

On the forum I frequent, people are encouraged to have dialog and ask questions and are not belittled for their lack of particular knowledge, and certainly not for second guessing a recommendation for a product that is not highly rated by users. 

But what do I know. 

Thanks to all for their advice. 

Jake Wolf

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »

What does the headphone jack have anything to do with the power to the mic?

Sometimes the TRRS is used to input a stereo mic plus bias power. Since I don’t know your camera I can only guess at this point.

Since it works with your computer there is obviously a connection difference compared to the camera input jack, or maybe it doesn’t provide bias power for some reason.

Edit: Here is a pinout link for a generic canon videocam

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-connect-an-external-microphone-to-a-Canon-c

My point is that with a dedicated mic jack (and not a combo jack like on a laptop or on certain cameras) I thought I had the right pin configuration.    Sounds like thats not my issue anyways, but a lack of power for the condenser , even though the product states it does not require external/phantom power.

Anyways, thanks!

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »

The condenser mic is a dead giveaway that it needs some type of power. Reading the product text they mention that the mic is intended to be used with a computer and computers provide bias power for the mic input. I could not find anything mentioning that no power was needed.

Since most cameras have stereo capabilities and you mentioned using a stereo mic in the beginning, combined with the pinout link I provided, your camera most likely have two inputs as you stated you wanted in the first place.

My point is that with a dedicated mic jack (and not a combo jack like on a laptop or on certain cameras) I thought I had the right pin configuration.    Sounds like thats not my issue anyways, but a lack of power for the condenser , even though the product states it does not require external/phantom power.

Anyways, thanks!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »

On the forum I frequent, people are encouraged to have dialog and ask questions and are not belittled for their lack of particular knowledge, and certainly not for second guessing a recommendation for a product that is not highly rated by users. 

That's also true here, though some are more blunt than others during said dialog.

In this instance you could have asked if the one you ordered was compatible before clicking on "buy".  I do a lot of repairs on lavalier and headset mics, and I'm a bit of a pinout junkie.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 26 queries.