ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/8" self powered conference mic?  (Read 6552 times)

Jake Wolf

1/8" self powered conference mic?
« on: November 03, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »

This is a fairly pedestrian inquiry, but I need some help from those who know more about this stuff than I do. I work for a law firm and we often have to video record meetings/depositions etc.  I use a Canon handheld video camera on a tripod, the video is good enough, but the audio is crap (understandably).  I was using a Sony stereo mic i had from way back in the day which was AA powered, but the mic recently bit the dust.  In my looking for a replacement that would be better than that, it seems like everything decent these days is USB powered, and I am not dragging a laptop into to these meetings just to power the mic.     

So, I need a mic for recording conferences/depositions (preferably something with a long cord I can sit on a conference table), that will pick up everyone around the table decently well, is self (battery) powered and uses an 1/8" mini jack.  More than happy to buy something used, just need some good product recommendations. 

thanks for your help! 

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: 1/8" self powered conference mic?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name. Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 05:48:47 PM »

This boundary mic looks like it fits your requirements:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/037052449aa233dc/index.html

Jake Wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »

sorry,fixed it!

Jake Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »

Scott that "looks" exactly like I would ideally be looking for, except maybe with a 9v or AA rather than a button battery, and with a 6-10 ft long cable. The reviews on that are pretty dodgy, but for $30 I'm not sure what I would reasonably expect, sound quality or reliability wise.  Maybe if I could get it with a decent warranty or return policy.   

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »

Scott that "looks" exactly like I would ideally be looking for, except maybe with a 9v or AA rather than a button battery,

Why? There is almost no current flowing, the battery is just charging a capacitor. The battery will die to to old age, not current draw.

Mac

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:31:03 PM »

Probably some sort of impedance convertor too, couple of transistors or a chip but yea, the button would live for a long time.  Plate mic is likely to pick up more table noise, rustling papers and such but might work out if you're diligent about your staging.

Why? There is almost no current flowing, the battery is just charging a capacitor. The battery will die to to old age, not current draw.

Mac

Jake Wolf

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:25:03 AM »

Anyone have experience with that AT mic?  I'm wondering how much sound quality I can expect for $25.  Good to know that it probably won't eat batteries like I'm thinking it wil..

Been looking at this Shure, which seems promising.  Would have to buy a phantom power unit, and the whole rig would run about $150 with cabling, which is a little high for what we're looking for, but if it works good and sounds good....

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-CVB-B-Condenser-Microphone-Omnidirectional/dp/B00A361UMS/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1509762068&sr=1-6&keywords=Omnidirectional+Condenser+Microphone

My concern with a PZM mic is picking up table noise.  there's always someone writing/typing and those PZM's always seem to grab those sounds (since thats what they're designed for after all, as contact mics). 

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »

Anyone have experience with that AT mic?  I'm wondering how much sound quality I can expect for $25.  Good to know that it probably won't eat batteries like I'm thinking it wil..

Been looking at this Shure, which seems promising.  Would have to buy a phantom power unit, and the whole rig would run about $150 with cabling, which is a little high for what we're looking for, but if it works good and sounds good....

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-CVB-B-Condenser-Microphone-Omnidirectional/dp/B00A361UMS/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1509762068&sr=1-6&keywords=Omnidirectional+Condenser+Microphone

My concern with a PZM mic is picking up table noise.  there's always someone writing/typing and those PZM's always seem to grab those sounds (since thats what they're designed for after all, as contact mics).
PZM mics are not "contact mics". They use the surface they are on as a boundary and the small distance of the pickup from the large boundary to minimize multiple reflections that affect clarity. Yes, you will get a clean recording of everything the mic hears. With a conventional mic you will also get a recording of everything the mic hears. The only way you will get a good recording of interviewer's and subject's voices is to put a lapel mic on each person or mount a conventional mic directly in front of each person. If they are seated facing each other, then perhaps a bi-directional mic between them would work.
Scott Hofmann

Jake Wolf

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »

thanks for clarifying that Scott.  I am not as well versed in this technology.  Im a bass player, and I know that world of tech very well, but mic's and such are just out of my wheelhouse..   We're definitely not hauling a mixer and what not for this application, so an all in one solution will have to do.   

the boss wants to try the cheap-o model first and see if its close enough, without spending 6x as much and hauling around an XLR phantom box and all (he isnt real tech savvy and doesnt want to deal with setting that stuff up when he's off site for a legal deposition).   

I checked the reviews on the AT and some others, and this one seems much better rated.  No battery, so I'm wondering how it'll do with a longish cable, but we'll see, and can always get the better one if it sucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Conference-Microphone-FOKEY-Computers-Omnidirectional/dp/B075RWPHCQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509978558&sr=8-3&keywords=boundary+microphone+3.5mm

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.