ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Console Security  (Read 6972 times)

Aaron Maurer

Console Security
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »

Had a school board member reach out to look over a bid for an upgrade to a digital console. They want to relocate the console and I couldn't agree more. The new location is high traffic area and the quotations are coming back with oak wood rolltop desks for storage. Any suggestions on something other than wood?

Rob Gow

Re: Console Security
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:29:55 PM »

Had a school board member reach out to look over a bid for an upgrade to a digital console. They want to relocate the console and I couldn't agree more. The new location is high traffic area and the quotations are coming back with oak wood rolltop desks for storage. Any suggestions on something other than wood?

A rack mount has little in the way to fiddle with...

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »

Depending on the size of the console and its location in the traffic area, wood probably wouldn't be too bad.  Though, the cabinet would (more than likely) need to be custom made for the console to support power, cabling, cooling, and should probably be on casters.  I've seen some very nice wood console racks made of oak and walnut... these racks were more like furniture... though, not like a roll-top desk.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:49 PM »

Roll top desks are actually very fragile. They usually have flimsy wooden slots that usually just have cloth glued onto the back to give it the flexibility. So it can roll. They are easily broken. But I can’t remember right now if this is just an idea I had or if I actually saw it. But imagine a roll top desk that instead of the flimsy wood it actually uses the same construction as the roll up (usually steel or aluminum) garage doors. It might have to be custom made but it would be very strong. This is one of the companies that make that kind of roll up pieces.

https://www.cornelliron.com/

Actually here is one, they aren’t cheap but real security isn’t cheap.

https://www.music123.com/accessories/raxxess-ert-st-steel-roll-top-desk

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »

One of the goto  companies for these is HSA.
http://www.hsarolltops.com/index.html
They do have an option for a stainless steel tambour for extra security.
Full Compass has prices for some standard models.
http://www.fullcompass.com/searchresults.php?search_simple=true&txtAll=HSA+rolltops
Yes, there might be times when the desk costs more than the console it is protecting.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

scottstephens

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »

Aaron,

Does the school have a "shop" class? Maybe they could fabricate something. If not reach out to a local "tech" school. But the guys are correct, don't waste your money on the fancy roll top things. CHEAP and Expensive.

Scott

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »

with the security statement in there is this to roll the top down to prevent people from playing ?   Keys are never used and lost.  Anchor point for device to the rolling cabinet ?  Or to keep the whole cabinet from rolling out the door?

John Fruits

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »

The conundrum is the best location for sound HAS to be in a high traffic area.  There are some new spaces being built with not only sound, but stage manager and lighting in the same area. I don't know how that works out with both the SM and LX calling cues while seated among the patrons.  The other issue is that the spaces are certainly multipurpose.  Classroom by day, rehearsal spaces for band and choir at other times and everybody and their little dog Toto have a key. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »

Not other than wood, but here's something I've made a couple of for various mixers:
Scott Hofmann

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »

Thanks for all the responses. I like the shop class idea. They are looking at a Soundcraft SI Impact forgot to add that to the original post. Security is more for the curious want to touch folks. Questions: Does the SI Imapact have a lock like the X32 to disable the controls?  Anyone know if the SI comes with a DeEsser? 

They are going to take out a few seats in the back row to place the mixer dead center of the back row. Building was built 1956 so it is a lively place. Mixed a church service for over 600 plus in the space this summer and it was a butcher shop of EQ cuts particularly on the headsets (Omni) the pastors wore and they kept coming out past the mains. Palms were a bit damp the entire event but we made without issue.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.