ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX or SRX  (Read 38564 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Re: JBL PRX or SRX
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »

"brides might freak out at seeing a double 18".

Flexibility and portability rules.

You can cluster the subs in the middle, if you want, or they make very stable speaker stands.  Also, there will be times where space will only allow 2 subs stacked, with 1 top on a shorter pole; run in mono.  It will kick!

-Dennis

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 05:35:10 PM »

Also, I'm afraid brides might freak out at seeing a double 18.

Put a white tablecloth over it, let her decide how to decorate it. Kids candies and snacks, photos, etc.

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »

Also, I'm afraid brides might freak out at seeing a double 18.

As long as your system is neat and clean and wires aren't all over the place exposed they aren't going to say anything.  Look at how many DJs set their lighting up in the air with all the cables just hanging and they end up in wedding pictures yet they don't seem to complain.  I've never had an issue with a bride complaining about my gear and I send EVERY couple a pic of my setup when I send them a quote so they will know what they are getting ahead of time.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »

Having started my company as a wedding/school dance DJ (in the same position as you) -- there's something to be said for the flexibility of the SRX-812P/SRX818P combination. However, if I was in your spot and looking to purchase a PA, I would actually get 4 SRX-812Ps and 2 SRX818Ps to start with. Since, as you know, at weddings the people who are looking to really enjoy the music (i.e. feel the bass) are going to be on the dance floor, that's the main spot where you need to have that low end coverage.
Put a white tablecloth over it, let her decide how to decorate it. Kids candies and snacks, photos, etc.
Not sure if they're going to want all of that stuff shaking off every few minutes. ;) But in all seriousness, brides can sometimes be as bad as corporate event planners in that they don't want to see "all of those boxes everywhere," and having a smaller sub that's easier to tuck under a table or in a corner is not a bad idea.

With two more SRX-812Ps, that makes a quick and easy ceremony or cocktail lounge system. Since the speakers have two inputs available, you can put the ceremony music feed into one input and the officiant's lavaliere microphone into the other, for example. Or, if you have a larger venue, you can use that second pair as delay speakers. (I started my business with a pair each of Mackie SRM450s, SRS1500 15" subs and SR1530 15" 3-way tops, and within three years I added 2 more pairs of 450s and a pair of SA1521s. And sold the 1530s after a year, when I realized that I just didn't need them enough to justify the expense. Part of these upgrades was to support having one or two other DJs freelancing for me, but mostly was to improve the flexibility and coverage of my setups. You can include the main pair of speakers in your basic package cost, and then have the second pair of SRX-812Ps be "Just $129.95 total more" or whatever you want.)

… and then buy one or two pairs of the SRX828Ps for the school dances, and you'll have a ridiculously good sounding system!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

veditor78

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 10:28:27 AM »

Right now the budget won't allow the purchase of an extra pair of 812's, though I agree with what you said. I do a lot of ceremony and cocktail hours in rooms other than where the reception is so I like the idea.

If the quotes for the lighting rig come in less than expected I will do it.
Josh Rawls

nickyburnell

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 06:45:57 AM »

What about the music you are playing though???
Do you get into old 60's stuff on a regular basis, or even 70's rock?
I'd want 15" bass cabs in that environment personally, preferably 4 x 15" speakers.
 Lent a system to someone last year which had proper 18" subs running up to 100hz.
All the 60's stuff was horrid. Luckily the cabs on top were 2x15 + horn (Beyma stuff) and I quickly took all the 60hz and above up to them. Much better,
Just my pennies worth and of course if it's generally modern stuff then would agree basically with your choice.  Have fun.

veditor78

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »

I forgot about this thread. Here's what I have so far:

2 - SRX812P
1 - SRX818SP
1 - SRX828SP

I run everything through a X32 and have it setup as LCR with the center mono channel feeding the subs. That gives me quick control over the sb levels. It also allows me to not send the mics to the subs which clears them up a bit.

I do have 2 more 812 speakers that I can rent when needed for delays or side fill. I plan on purchasing two more and at least one more 818 and 828 when budget allows.
Josh Rawls

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »

One difference I do see in the balanced input impedance. PRX is 20k and SRX is 40k. I understand that higher is better as it won't affect the output voltage of the source as much, is that correct?

Don't worry about the input impedance.

Assuming a drive impedance (output impedance of previous device) of 150 ohms, and a target load of 10X, you can easily hook up more than 10 cabinets to each output without loading down the driving device.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jesse Johnson

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »

I had been going back and forth about adding some additional single 18's to my line up for ease of use, flexibility and was considering PRX over SRX because of the additional output power.  But the PRX is 134 dB & the SRX is 135 dB. I do a few wedding but mostly outdoor venues/Motorsports.  I going to just stick to the SRX's after reading this thread.

My set up right now it:
(2) SRX812P
(4) SRX835P
(2) SRX828SP

Thanks for the info here!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »

I had been going back and forth about adding some additional single 18's to my line up for ease of use, flexibility and was considering PRX over SRX because of the additional output power.  But the PRX is 134 dB & the SRX is 135 dB. I do a few wedding but mostly outdoor venues/Motorsports.  I going to just stick to the SRX's after reading this thread.

My set up right now it:
(2) SRX812P
(4) SRX835P
(2) SRX828SP

Thanks for the info here!

Regardless of what you mean by 'output power', the SRX is louder than the PRX and any wattage figures you may have seen - ignore. Watts means nothing - SPL means a lot more. Plus the SRX subs have a tighter more defined musical low end than the PRX subs. I have both. I love both. I use both for different applications.
If you can afford the SRX subs - get them and you'll be back letting us know how impressed you are! Good luck.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.