ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: New subwoofer recommendations  (Read 21209 times)

Wayne Garton

• Renew Church
Re: New subwoofer recommendations
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »

Wayne

Hello from a fellow Kiwi living in the UK.
Can't understand why you went with a cheap Chinese brand, When more common brands are available in NZ
(Yes they may need to be shipped over)

The decision was made by the financial people because the job was part of a very large project re-furbishing the auditorium and that necessitated replacing the floor, aircons, fire-doors and lots more. I'm just picking up the pieces. The speakers were 2nd hand. So it is what it is!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:30:37 PM by Mac Kerr »
Wayne

Richard Strothman

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 03:18:19 AM »

We have a medium size rectangular auditorium with a very high ceiling (seats about 350). Speakers are passive line arrays; 2 X Beta TLA's and 1 X Beta TLB's on each side. Under stage we have a home-made subwoofers which need replacing. They also need to fly since the kick and bass is being absorbed by about the first 10 rows. Crossovers are 2 X Driverack 260's (one on left and right)
Anyone know of some suitable overhead subs we could buy (either powered or passive)? Worship is modern, Hillsong/Bethel/Contemporary Music.

I am particularly fond of QSC KLA181s for flying subs. I use two per side with three QSC KLA12s flown per side lifted about twentysix feet above the floor. I ground stack two KW181s and two KLA12s below the lift but on a platform anchored on the lifts legs. The KLA12s on the ground stack are on 36” poles and are set to the down angle. For center and side fills we use different mixtures of QSC KW153s, or KW122s over KSubs depending on the size and shape of the room. There is sufficient power across all frequencies to fill a fairly large venue. My church’s sanctuary is similar to yours and this rig fills it very well for the Hillsong style music played in or Sunday morning services. For teen and young adult programs on Saturday nights I double up the f.o.h. because we frequently have bands like We Are Vessel, As We Are, Red Letter Hymnal or Shine Effect, i.e., loud.

Aisle 6

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »

I was of the understanding that those Beta3 mid/high cabs have a passive crossover built in. So using an external mid and high band across those cabinets is really going to mess things up. I think Ivan was mentioning this as well. I have had the misfortune of mixing on a couple of Beta3 systems and let's just say that they are much better than most chinarrays, but still way off a well designed system. Their pattern control is terrible.
Having said that, you should be able to make it work, well at least sound more correct for those that will be in the beam of the three cabinets.
You really should get a medal for persevering with what looks and sounds (from your description) of a really terrible install.
The good news is that you should easily be able to run that system from a single drive rack and hopefully your volunteers from Aukland will be of great assistance to you...at least once they get over the shock of what they are faced with.
I am looking forward to hearing of some very positive improvements after they arrive.

Wayne Garton

• Renew Church
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »

I was of the understanding that those Beta3 mid/high cabs have a passive crossover built in. So using an external mid and high band across those cabinets is really going to mess things up. I think Ivan was mentioning this as well.
I am looking forward to hearing of some very positive improvements after they arrive.
It looks like it will be in January now before the cavalry arrive from Auckland. However, we have rewired the TLA's in parallel as suggested here, and rewired to one drive rack in stereo with seperate outputs for mids and highs (using the manufacturer's suggested crossover points). The flying subs and the floor subs are now being fed from the other drive rack using a seperate output from the desk (using the high and low pass figures suggested here).
We also found that in the haste of getting the auditorium completed. the electrician had wired some of the speakers out of phase with their counterparts on the other side of the room.
Already the system sounds heaps better.

Where did you see that the TLA's had a passive crossover built-in? Below is what it says in the specs and I read it to mean that you can buy an optional seperate active crossover and use that if you want ...
[The TLA101 is a 2-way design housing 2   10" neodymium kapton LF drivers and two 2   4"   1" (101.6 25.4)mm neodymium Kapton compression drivers. The cylindrical wave segments of each cabinet will couple without gaps and sum up coherently. Splay angles between adjacent cabinets can be set in the range form 0   to 5   in half degree steps.
TLA-101 system is two channels of amplifier UA2000 or UA2002(with active crossover provided by C-2600 between LF/MF and HF section of the 10" speaker). It can also be driven by AP-4U orAM-4U with analog or digital control cards.]
Wayne

Wayne Garton

• Renew Church
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 03:34:56 AM »

Well, the knight in shining armour with the SMAART tools arrived (MacBook, I\O device and a ton of knowledge)
He tweaked the system adjusting the phasing at the crossover points, and then adjusted various part of the frequency response up or down as required and shown on screen. Compromises all round. But we have a new speaker system that actually sounds good. It's now got a ton of bottom end and we don't need new subwoofers or to chuck out the Chinese flying speakers.
Thanks guys for your help.
Wayne

Simon Adams

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »

Well, the knight in shining armour with the SMAART tools arrived (MacBook, I\O device and a ton of knowledge)
He tweaked the system adjusting the phasing at the crossover points, and then adjusted various part of the frequency response up or down as required and shown on screen. Compromises all round. But we have a new speaker system that actually sounds good. It's now got a ton of bottom end and we don't need new subwoofers or to chuck out the Chinese flying speakers.
Thanks guys for your help.

I would be inclined to talk to Ratu at Western Audio he has done a lot of church audio design recently

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.