ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser D1 2.4GHz antenna distribution ideas  (Read 3225 times)

Chris Eddison

Sennheiser D1 2.4GHz antenna distribution ideas
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:38:11 am »

Hi all
Looking at investing in some Sennheiser D1 lavalier systems to replace my Line6 V-70 2.4GHz mics which are becoming very unreliable when it comes to battery life.

The D1's look great but unfortunately don't have any sort of antenna distribution. Sennheiser say you can run multiple systems (up to 15 in ideal conditions, whatever they are!). Real world-wise i'm hoping to run 8. I do need remote aerials as my racks often live under the stage.

Just wondering if there are any other options out there, either designed for pro audio or from the world of wifi? I know Line6 make the XD-AD8 which looks to fit the bill and would still provide power enabling me to continue using the Line6 aerials, which are pretty good.
There's plenty out there from the world of satellite TV but all of course at 75 ohm.

Anybody got any real world experience of the D1's as well while i'm asking? My use is musical theatre - probably on supporting cast with my principals using UHF (Trantec S5).

Cheers
Chris

Caleb Dueck

Re: Sennheiser D1 2.4GHz antenna distribution ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »

Hi all
Looking at investing in some Sennheiser D1 lavalier systems to replace my Line6 V-70 2.4GHz mics which are becoming very unreliable when it comes to battery life.

The D1's look great but unfortunately don't have any sort of antenna distribution. Sennheiser say you can run multiple systems (up to 15 in ideal conditions, whatever they are!). Real world-wise i'm hoping to run 8. I do need remote aerials as my racks often live under the stage.

Just wondering if there are any other options out there, either designed for pro audio or from the world of wifi? I know Line6 make the XD-AD8 which looks to fit the bill and would still provide power enabling me to continue using the Line6 aerials, which are pretty good.
There's plenty out there from the world of satellite TV but all of course at 75 ohm.

Anybody got any real world experience of the D1's as well while i'm asking? My use is musical theatre - probably on supporting cast with my principals using UHF (Trantec S5).

Cheers
Chris
Move away from 2.4G wireless, from any manufacturer, and get Shure QLX-D. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:09:50 pm »

Move away from 2.4G wireless, from any manufacturer, and get Shure QLX-D. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

+1

2.4gHz is full

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:24:50 pm »

The AV guy at my church bought two units and I am not a fan.

I like how changes in the receiver are instantly reflected on the transmitter, and they sound pretty good.

The range sucks, big time.

RFVenue makes some 2.4GHz antennas you could look into, but Im sticking with VHF, UHF, or DECT for now.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Chris Eddison

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:40 pm »

Sadly Im pretty much stuck with 2.4GHz at the minute. Ive already got a full complement of UHF (Trantec S5) and much as Id really love QLX-D, if I sold the whole lot Id only end up affording 8 channels! I only use 2.4GHz on supporting cast and chorus members, though it does behave surprisingly well.
If the range on D1 is poor then thats answered that one. I could maybe start adding a few channels of QLX-D in VHF bit by bit and then move fully away from 2.4GHz. Cant really do a when I can afford it approach with my UHF - Id want them all Trantec or all Shure, so would have to have the cash available up front to do the swap.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »

RF Venue is a company that specializes in all types of wireless system antenna.  Great products and a really good company. I think they have one for 2.4GHz. 

I'll echo other comments.  Just after Line 6 acquired (X-?  I forgot what they were called), I installed several systems with up to 10 units.  They worked great . . . for a while.  That has really changed.  2.4 is full in most venues.  The mics work during rehearsals and then the audience comes in with their cell phones and things go to hell!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.