ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Sub amp for my system?  (Read 20004 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Recommended Sub amp for my system?
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:22 PM »

I think mixing subs  is much more viable than commonly expressed..

I think mixing different subs, if each is using a different crossover is probably the greater problem.
The crossovers usually cause more phase misalignment than the subs do, and phase misalignment is the cause of combining problems.

If any drivers can be combined, it's subs...the wavelengths are huge, compared to combining problems further up in freq.

Heck, just put em together all using the same crossover....see for yourself  :)

Mixing subs from the same manufacturer and from the same model line family is pretty much good these days but it hasn't always been that way.

Mixing subs with different designs (bass reflex; band pass, horns of various types) is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.  Been that way since B. K. (Before Klipsch) and remains so today.

YMMV.  Indoors there are enough reflections to do a hap-hazard job of pseudo-averaging the output, but realize that depending on where you are standing, you could be below average no matter what and the more equal the acoustic output of cancelling subwoofers (at some frequency) the deeper the comb until the cancellation is infinite and the peaks are +6dB.  You could get lucky and find that you get a little more sub in most of the audience area but you won't be getting 6dB worth, which is what you'd get doubling with identical subs and their own amplification.

I guess my point is:  if you going to haul around 2x the subs and power why not be assured that it will result in uniformly greater output?  Yeah, I know this is the Lounge and some of you (and me) have interesting collections of things that make noise and we want to extract the maximum return on our dubious investments.  I understand that.  But when it comes down to having to move it, store it, insure it and maintain it - costs that exist regardless of the acoustic contribution the product makes - it should give a result where the whole is equal to to the sum of its parts, not less than.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rick Powell

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »

...But when it comes down to having to move it, store it, insure it and maintain it - costs that exist regardless of the acoustic contribution the product makes - it should give a result where the whole is equal to to the sum of its parts, not less than.

^ 1000+

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.