ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Sub amp for my system?  (Read 20000 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Recommended Sub amp for my system?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 12:37:40 AM »

There are a bunch of Sb850s in the Marketplace.  Couple dB less output but easier to move and good price.  Would still kill the Carvins and work with the UX processor as well.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »

There are a bunch of Sb850s in the Marketplace.  Couple dB less output but easier to move and good price.  Would still kill the Carvins and work with the UX processor as well.

And these as well:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,165207.0.html

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »

And these as well:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,165207.0.html

Again, thanks for all the replies and feedback. The more I realize it the more I should focus my efforts on purchasing a UX processor as I do plan on purchasing more EAW gear (subs primarily) I also have several KF300's so this would only help achieve the sound I'm looking for then look into purchasing some SB1000 and or SB750's.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »

Again, thanks for all the replies and feedback. The more I realize it the more I should focus my efforts on purchasing a UX processor as I do plan on purchasing more EAW gear (subs primarily) I also have several KF300's so this would only help achieve the sound I'm looking for then look into purchasing some SB1000 and or SB750's.

Hi Sam, There were a couple of UX3600's in Marketplace last month, in case you didn't see them. 
FWIW, I simply can't see paying up for the 8800...sub integration is relatively easy...processing is nothing special..and heck, sub deployments are always varying to begin with.....
But for mains, the processing is indispensable.
My guess is once you hear how good your various kf mains can sound, it will focus your efforts on getting some really good subs.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 08:38:36 PM »

FWIW, I simply can't see paying up for the 8800...sub integration is relatively easy...processing is nothing special..and heck, sub deployments are always varying to begin with.....

Assuming biamped mains with mono subs, an 8800 allows you to do subs and front fills in addition to your mains. It is quite nice being able to monitor and mute/unmute your mains, subs and fills all from one place and not have to fiddle with multiple dsp interfaces to change various parts of the system.

That sort of cohesiveness it what makes it a "system" to me, and not just a bunch of pieces cobbled together.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »

Assuming biamped mains with mono subs, an 8800 allows you to do subs and front fills in addition to your mains. It is quite nice being able to monitor and mute/unmute your mains, subs and fills all from one place and not have to fiddle with multiple dsp interfaces to change various parts of the system.

That sort of cohesiveness it what makes it a "system" to me, and not just a bunch of pieces cobbled together.

^^^   Where's the damn "LIKE" button?  ^^^
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 10:27:26 PM »

^^^   Where's the damn "LIKE" button?  ^^^

On Facebook, but you wouldn't know about that...

Mac

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »

Great point Steven!  I could not agree more

I guess I just see the UX 8800 as overly expensive compared to alternatives, no matter what the objectives.
In my mind, the only reason to get a UX for use with legacy speakers, is for the newer 'focus' tunings.
Otherwise, why not put  EAW's posted legacy presets in a more affordable processor....or just find an old mx8750.
Besides, you can get 2 UX3600's for the price of 1 UX8800 (albeit talking new prices)...why not go that way for even more integrated system capability ?

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 12:39:18 PM »

In my mind, the only reason to get a UX for use with legacy speakers, is for the newer 'focus' tunings.
Otherwise, why not put  EAW's posted legacy presets in a more affordable processor....or just find an old mx8750.
Besides, you can get 2 UX3600's for the price of 1 UX8800 (albeit talking new prices)...why not go that way for even more integrated system capability ?

If multiple 3600s could be had for the price of one 8800 and the control network was sufficient, that's certainly an interesting option that could give you some added flexibility.

I will say from experience, the sound quality difference between the UX and MX units is not negligible. And while using EAW's posted presets in another brand dsp will result in a "usable" system, it will be very lackluster compared to what the UX offers.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »

If multiple 3600s could be had for the price of one 8800 and the control network was sufficient, that's certainly an interesting option that could give you some added flexibility.

I will say from experience, the sound quality difference between the UX and MX units is not negligible. And while using EAW's posted presets in another brand dsp will result in a "usable" system, it will be very lackluster compared to what the UX offers.

I'm currently running Tri-amped mains and stereo subs.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.