ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Sub amp for my system?  (Read 20005 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Recommended Sub amp for my system?
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:38 AM »

Hey fellas,
I'm going to be in the market of upgrading my sub amp to something with a little more oomph factor. My current setup is as follows (see pic - Disregard the top amp QSC PLX1202 - it was a backup amp and no longer there)

Amp 1 - QSC PLX1202 = Highs
Amp 2 - QSC PLX3402 = Mods
Amp 3 - QSC PL 4.0     = Lows
Amp 4 - QSC PL 4.0     = Subs

Speakers:
Top mains: EAW KF650 (usually floor stacked on top of the subs 1 to 2 per side depending on the venue)
Subs: Carvin Trx218 (typically floor stacked 2 dual 18" cabs per side)

don't get me wrong, the 4.0 does great, it's never let me down and always a rock star but as time goes on I'm looking for more bottom end for some events (especially outdoor) and wondered about going with a QSC 6.0 or maybe a Lab Gruppen LA 48a? or?....

Or course budget is the first thing that comes to mind and I don't mind paying for quality amps but are there other used amps out there that are in the $1K range that would give me a bit more than the 4.0?

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Recommended Sub amp for my system?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »

Hey fellas,
I'm going to be in the market of upgrading my sub amp to something with a little more oomph factor. My current setup is as follows (see pic - Disregard the top amp QSC PLX1202 - it was a backup amp and no longer there)

Speakers:
Top mains: EAW KF650 (usually floor stacked on top of the subs 1 to 2 per side depending on the venue)

don't get me wrong, the 4.0 does great, it's never let me down and always a rock star but as time goes on I'm looking for more bottom end for some events (especially outdoor) and wondered about going with a QSC 6.0 or maybe a Lab Gruppen LA 48a? or?....

Or course budget is the first thing that comes to mind and I don't mind paying for quality amps but are there other used amps out there that are in the $1K range that would give me a bit more than the 4.0?

I use a PL6.0 for subs. Doesn’t break a sweat.
Should be in your price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:25:13 AM »

Hey fellas,

Speakers:

Better subs or more subs seems like the way to go instead of buying a different amplifier.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »

Better subs or more subs seems like the way to go instead of buying a different amplifier.
Agreed.  Simply throwing more power or hoping that a different amp "sounds better", is a waste of money, and could possibly tear up the current speakers.

Remember that with ANY loudspeaker, the harder you push it, the more distortion it has.  Up to the point it stops making sound.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »

Totally off topic but what’s with the BBE on the top?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »

Totally off topic but what’s with the BBE on the top?
System processor/crossover.  http://www.bbesound.com/products/speaker-management/

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »

System processor/crossover.  http://www.bbesound.com/products/speaker-management/

The biggest improvement to the system might be getting an EAW UX8800 processor to replace the BBE. Before swapping out speakers and amps, why not try to wring out the best sound out of what you have already?

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »

The biggest improvement to the system might be getting an EAW UX8800 processor to replace the BBE. Before swapping out speakers and amps, why not try to wring out the best sound out of what you have already?
Probably not going to make a difference with the subs.

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »

Swapping from 4 kw-181’s to 4 la-400’s last season was an eye opener for me...  I was thinking I would need 8 ...  nope.  Not at my level anyway...  did several gigs on 1 per side.  A couple of them got loud...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »

Some years ago there was a sub shootout where they also tried a few amps.  The PL6 and Crest Pro9200 were they only amps folks could head an audible difference with.  I bought the lighter Crest and could definitely tell the difference between it and the PLX3402 I had previously.  Beyond that I think you're getting into some fairly expensive 10kW things.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.