ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167492 times)

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »

I personally think this is more aimed at the church volunteer crowd, much like the Qu-32 was.  Everything is in front of you for most churches what would buy this.  Easier for volunteers to run.

Art

Yep!  Winner, winner,chicken dinner.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »

This up there! As a more entry level (qu series replacement), why are they coming out with a physically larger desk instead of a SQ Pac?!?!

If I need a larger desk, I'll stick with the GLD or perhaps move into the Dlive C, The SQ series really needs a rack mount version for the bar/wedding/corp gigs. The price point is there, but not the form factor IMO.

The design and manufacturing start up process is easy going from a 24ch desk to a 32ch one. Also, I suspect it can be built on the same assembly line as the 16 & 24 models. Likely took less time than the rack mount.

My guess is that there will be a SQpac this winter if not sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »

I don't think I can see the compelling case for a SQpac.

QUpac works with the ecosystem (stage boxes) and if someone wants to dive deep into SQ features they may not be so happy with only the ipad interface.

The SQ feature set still sounds immature; do A&H want to put their time into getting a new chassis out or making their existing ones work the way customers expected? 

jim whitmer

« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »

Some valid points!

A lot of us around here still need a rack with scribble strips and some routing options though. QUpac falls short with this, fx, and a few other things when compared to say the gld series.

So my hope lies with the sqpac!

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2018, 07:50:41 AM »

Some valid points!

A lot of us around here still need a rack with scribble strips and some routing options though. QUpac falls short with this, fx, and a few other things when compared to say the gld series.

Perhaps they'll do a hybrid, a 96khz QuPac.  Since the "Pac" form factor can't take advantage of all the SQ feature set, maybe they'll take the heart of the SQ, the 96khz DSP engines, and put it into a QuPac chassis.  I have to think there is not much point keeping the slower engines around, and SQ will eventually replace the QU series anyway.

Best regards,

John

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »

I don't think I can see the compelling case for a SQpac.

QUpac works with the ecosystem (stage boxes) and if someone wants to dive deep into SQ features they may not be so happy with only the ipad interface.

The SQ feature set still sounds immature; do A&H want to put their time into getting a new chassis out or making their existing ones work the way customers expected?

There are a variety of non interchangeable skills required to build a product. The software folk work on all. Mechanical works on next package. It isn’t an either or.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2018, 07:28:53 PM »

Some valid points!

I have to ask, why do you need scribble strips on a rack mixer?
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

jim whitmer

« Reply #337 on: June 13, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »

When I've got 16 - 24 inputs, scrolling across a banks of 8 on an Ipad to mix is tough when all you have is channel number at the top of the fader. MUCH easier when you can name them.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #338 on: June 13, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »

When I've got 16 - 24 inputs, scrolling across a banks of 8 on an Ipad to mix is tough when all you have is channel number at the top of the fader. MUCH easier when you can name them.
Oh dear - are you really saying that you don't realise you can name the channels in the iPad app?

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Pad-v1.9-Help-Guide.pdf
"Names can be edited at the mixer or using Qu-Pad. Touch the Name box to open the iPad keyboard. Double tap
Shift  for  caps  lock.  Touch the ‘x’ to clear an existing name.  You  can  enter  a name with up to 6 characters. Names appear above the faders"

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »

Scribble strips are the screens above the physical faders on the desk.  Most current digital mixers allow you to change the name and colour of these to help your workflow.

There are no physical faders on a rackmount mixer like the QU-pac, QU-SB, TF-rack, X32-rack, DL32R, and all the other ones the market offers today.

Not to be confused however with a rackmount-able mixer with faders, like the QU-16 which in fact lacks scribble strips.  Your comparison the GLD-series is what confuses me, because there is no rack-only option in the GLD series (the stageboxes cannot be used standalone in the way that the iLive and DLive series can because the DSP is in the surface not the stagebox).

Once upon a time in the dark ages of analog mixers it was a piece of tape and a sharpy, which is where the word "scribble" comes from (I assume but don't know for a fact).  Just don't use a sharpy on your scribble strip or you'll need to revert to board tape at the next gig!
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.