ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167554 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #280 on: February 22, 2018, 05:40:27 PM »

I'm the opposite, I can fly around the SQ but find the X32 a little slow in comparison.  I love the new - CH to All Mix button.

This is going to sound funny but I find that I am much faster on the M32 then I am on an X32. The layout is just enough different (very slightly) that it throws me off a little bit. I actually have to look at the X32 more than I do the M32.

I also find it funny looking at the M32 sitting here next to the SQ6 it makes the SQ6 look so small. And I used to think that the M32 was so small.

I think the SQ6 will be a great board for a lot of people.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #281 on: February 22, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »

WRT: Touchscreen

I think the touchscreen has the ability to speed up interfacing with the menus & configuration options. The arrow keys are just plain silly and slow. You can scroll for an hour and not get to what you want...

The compressor example I can see, it is one click to get the parameter you want and then use the encoder to change it.

I'm hoping the customization rotaries can help alleviate this...?

I think the main thing for me is the touchscreen feels like an older heat based (slow/have to press hard) touchscreen not the nice slick ones (fast, light touch) we have on our phones. I'm sure the reason is so we don't change something accidentally, but I'd rather have the light touch and it feel more responsive.

I think the SQ6 will be a great board for a lot of people.

To everyone reading along with us.

This is the key. While Kevin and I have harped on the SQ6 a bit we still think it is a great board for lots of people!

Church or band that needs personal mixers & 40+ch's ? SQ6 is probably a better fit.
Church or band that needs less than 40...? M32 might be the ticket.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »

WRT: Touchscreen

I think the touchscreen has the ability to speed up interfacing with the menus & configuration options. The arrow keys are just plain silly and slow. You can scroll for an hour and not get to what you want...

The compressor example I can see, it is one click to get the parameter you want and then use the encoder to change it.

I'm hoping the customization rotaries can help alleviate this...?

I think the main thing for me is the touchscreen feels like an older heat based (slow/have to press hard) touchscreen not the nice slick ones (fast, light touch) we have on our phones. I'm sure the reason is so we don't change something accidentally, but I'd rather have the light touch and it feel more responsive.

To everyone reading along with us.

This is the key. While Kevin and I have harped on the SQ6 a bit we still think it is a great board for lots of people!

Church or band that needs personal mixers & 40+ch's ? SQ6 is probably a better fit.
Church or band that needs less than 40...? M32 might be the ticket.

A lot of people who have read some of my post know that I use the M32 to do musical theater. Lately I have been using 2 of them at the same time, it gives me a lot more inputs and outputs. I use a program to control them called Palladium. It can control 3 mixers (they don’t all have to be the same brand or model) at the same time. I couldn’t do what I do with the M32s without Palladium. I was hoping that I could write the Midi Mixer file for the SQ6 for Palladium, opening up another choice for Musical Theater. And if I could have gotten the Midi over Ethernet working on the SQ6 (no Midi is enabled yet) it would have made doing a Palladium mixer file on the dLive I have access to easier.   

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2018, 06:29:26 PM »

A lot of people who have read some of my post know that I use the M32 to do musical theater. Lately I have been using 2 of them at the same time, it gives me a lot more inputs and outputs. I use a program to control them called Palladium. It can control 3 mixers (they don’t all have to be the same brand or model) at the same time. I couldn’t do what I do with the M32s without Palladium. I was hoping that I could write the Midi Mixer file for the SQ6 for Palladium, opening up another choice for Musical Theater. And if I could have gotten the Midi over Ethernet working on the SQ6 (no Midi is enabled yet) it would have made doing a Palladium mixer file on the dLive I have access to easier.   

Wow, now that is cool! I had no idea that existed; holy crap thats cool! :)

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »

My vote for GLD replacement is an SQ7.  Processing in the surface instead of in the stage rack.  Larger surface with a few more knobs. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement (totally possible since you're referring to a product that doesn't exist) but for the sake of clarity, neither the GLD nor the SQ series do processing in the mix rack. 

You're thinking of iLive and DLive products, in the A&H world anyway, where the DSP is in the mixrack and the surface is just an (optional) controller with local I/O.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2018, 08:05:41 PM »

This should never, ever happen because your speakers should be off whenever you turn your mixer on or off.  Speakers should be the first device off and the last device on.  Always!

I'll play devil's advocate here. (In my best Pacino impression, of course)

Accidents can happen during combat audio and sometimes a mixer can go down mid-show for whatever reason.  Certainly makes an argument for running your digital mixer on a UPS, but that's my best explanation as to why that feature may be useful. 

As to why it's not in the SQ?  Two words: Price Point.  TJ already beat me to that punch. 

My iLive has relays on it's outputs so this doesn't happen.  The iLive was also roughly 10x the price point of the SQ when launched, give or take based on WHICH iLive we're talking about.

Here's a scenario:
Let's say an LD was trying to plug his phone charger into the convenience outlet of your rack mounted power strip, and just happens to hit the power switch located right next to it, which happens to turn off your monitor mixer mid-performance.  Let's say all your wedges are powered and processed in the box, therefore you have no DSP or amps at the side of the stage to "mute" those mixes without running out on stage (not cool most of the time). 

Not only will the lack of monitor output be unacceptable and frustrating to your clients, the popping sound when the mixer powers back up will be the icing on the cake.

Ask me how I know. Watch for flying drum sticks!
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »

Accidents can happen during combat audio and sometimes a mixer can go down mid-show for whatever reason.  Certainly makes an argument for running your digital mixer on a UPS, but that's my best explanation as to why that feature may be useful. 

As to why it's not in the SQ?  Two words: Price Point.  TJ already beat me to that punch. 

My iLive has relays on it's outputs so this doesn't happen.  The iLive was also roughly 10x the price point of the SQ when launched, give or take based on WHICH iLive we're talking about.

Here's a scenario:
Let's say an LD was trying to plug his phone charger into the convenience outlet of your rack mounted power strip, and just happens to hit the power switch located right next to it, which happens to turn off your monitor mixer mid-performance.  Let's say all your wedges are powered and processed in the box, therefore you have no DSP or amps at the side of the stage to "mute" those mixes without running out on stage (not cool most of the time). 

Not only will the lack of monitor output be unacceptable and frustrating to your clients, the popping sound when the mixer powers back up will be the icing on the cake.

Dude, why did you let the Squint within 5 meters of your rack?  He's got his own damn electricity. ::)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:46 PM »

You're right, that makes complete sense.

I was used to QU where those were combined into the single control, the trim functionality wasn't broken up. I still don't see why it should be broken up.

What I don't get is why the need to decrease level, it is either at 0dBFS or it isn't. I can see adding gain though.

---

What I've always thought digital trim was to keep the input preamp 'hot' for sends, direct outs, & other prefader outputs and then pad down the level to the fader (so the fader is closer to zero) for finer control.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/church/church_sound_2-5_ways_to_set_up_input_gain1/

Hey Nathan, thanks for all your posts on this thread! 

For what it's worth, I know this has already been addressed nearly to death (trim versus preamp etc, so I'll provide a non-digital split story), but when I used to run a Mackie DL1608 mixer (preamps are the only non-remote controlled part of that otherwise all-remote mixer) they added a "trim" function in the app, after the preamp.  The first time I used it, was at a small duo gig in a highly reverberant hall where the DL1608 was at the side of the stage, and I was setting up monitor mixes with the iPad. 

I had run out of gain on one of my mix faders to satisfy the "more me" demand so I figured I'd save myself a trip to the mixer and just boost the channel trim so I could get more outputs on the mix without adjusting the preamp.  There was an extremely noticeable affect on SNR, like, unacceptably so.  IIRC it was like a 10dB boost, so I'm sure it's an extreme condition, but it happened nonetheless.  My original preamp setting was obviously too low, the rig wasn't mine, just the mixer, and the wedge sensitivities were much lower than I was accustomed to. 

Anyway, just an experience I thought I'd share.  Returning the trim to 0 position and increasing the preamp (analog, pre-DSP preamp) gain helped bring that noise back under control.  Turns out I should have just made the walk.  YMMV and all that.

Since that, I've never used trim for any other purpose than adjusting the level of a non-preamp derived input signal, but I think it's handy "to have and not need" than the other way around, especially today when we can have giant networked systems like never before and you may have a lot of non-preamp inputs on a relatively small system (dante enabled wireless mics for example, or a virtual sound check). 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2018, 08:24:59 PM »

Here's a scenario:

This is an excellent expounding upon my original scenario.

As per price point? The cheap digital snake boxes for the qu have that feature.

There is no world in which 50$ in components doesn't make sense to put that feature in.

X32 paved the way for better products cheaper. SQ is an impressive board. But it's not quite the X32 killer we all wanted.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2018, 08:28:15 PM »

Dude, why did you let the Squint within 5 meters of your rack?  He's got his own damn electricity. ::)

hahaha!  "It's just a phone charger" he says....

Don't worry, he was suitably hazed for his actions.  As I do the math in my head, that was over 8 years ago now.  I hope he's learned from his actions, wherever he is today.  I wish I still had pictures of the distro on that stage.  It would make your heart hurt.  Gotta love small-community fairs with "donated" labour from retired "electricians". 

Sorry I'm swerving hard here.  Nathan can you post something to get us back on track? :)
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2018, 08:28:15 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.