ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167458 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2018, 11:14:27 PM »

I wish we could do that, but seems renting is not an option by the church board. I really want to experience that 96khz goodness tho.

That's why I tend to be the silent reader, learn quite a lot from here (except in regards to procuring products 8))

That's just silly. I've never understood how a church board dictates so much in tech decisions. & my target market is churches! hah

FYI, I wouldn't really care about the 96kHz I'd care more about scribble strips & sound quality & capability.

We have plenty of people from all timezones here ;)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »

- when Patching from the channel & selecting the type of input (unassign, local, SLink, USB, IO Port, signal generator) the default should be whatever that channel normally is (IE ch 4 = default to #4 of usb/IO/sLink/Local).

- Tube stage even maxed out is quite subtle on any setting. Perhaps I'm not using it correctly though. I did have a thought of using the tube stage as a 'trim' feature. But it is changing the sound even when I have the dials turned to off as much as I can tell. Need to run smaart through it and see whats going on :)

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:50 PM »

I agree with Jeff, this is what QU should have been. and there should be a ~6.5k board that combines GLD & SQ for an in-between QU/Dlive C series... meh whatever?

My vote for GLD replacement is an SQ7.  Processing in the surface instead of in the stage rack.  Larger surface with a few more knobs. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2018, 11:50:40 PM »

- major annoyance that the board pops during turn-on/off :(

- the 'home' screen (to turn the board off/lock it) is when nothing is selected; kinda annoying to find all the places you've 'selected' menus/channels and deselect.

My vote for GLD replacement is an SQ7.  Processing in the surface instead of in the stage rack.  Larger surface with a few more knobs. 

We shall see won't we?

One of my major problems with the current 'ecosysem' is the lack of 96kHz stage boxes that interface to the ME-U/ME-1/ME-500's. Without the sLink card it makes it difficult. After the sLink card you might want to run waves/dante as well... I feel like that is a giant omission.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »

- REALLY REALLY REALLY want the trim to be an ACTUAL DIGITAL trim not another preamp gain control :( digital boards really should just come with this

Can you explain what you mean by this? I have no familiarity with the console, are you saying that there are 2 gain trims on each channel and they both do the same thing? That's what it sounds like.

Mac

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2018, 12:58:17 AM »

Can you explain what you mean by this? I have no familiarity with the console, are you saying that there are 2 gain trims on each channel and they both do the same thing? That's what it sounds like.

Mac

I wasn't clear to anyone but myself, my bad.

FYI for the sake of this discussion, there is a 'universal control knob' (bottom right of screen not in picture) that controls parameters on the screen after having been selected via the touchscreen.

Yes, there is a 'preamp' gain with a physical control knob (the universal knob can also control this parameter) it is top left. This shows 1dB changes. AND a trim section that can be highlighted and controlled via the universal knob. That shows 0.1dB changes

I revisited the processing page just to make sure I wasn't doing a stupid before writing out a huge post. I was.

As it turns out, when the input source is the USB socket (digital) the preamp & digital trim are the same, with trim giving a more granular look. When the input source is a local socket (or analogue via digital snake) then the trim and preamp are separate controls.

I still think the trim placement in the signal chain is silly. Why would you trim right after the preamp? it serves no purpose other than giving you headroom for compression... if you need that much headroom to compress then you're doing it wrong. Really the best thing to do would be have the ability to insert the 'trim function' anywhere along the signal chain (typically before/after EQ). The easiest/simplest thing to do would be give me the ability to put negative numbers in the compressor's output gain.

---

More notes:

-Side note, they allow MUCH finer control (0.1dB steps) over MANY parameters & give numeric feedback when compared to QU.

-most parameters will reset to true zero instead of +/- 0.1dB like Qu (pet peeve of mine)

- The signal generator is fantastic FYI, from 20-30hz the granularity is .1dB and it doubles for every doubling of Hz.

- I don't like that there isn't LCR or LR+M mixing

- I don't like that st channels have to be even/odd pairs (1/2, 3/4, etc)

- There should be a way to get to the stereo/mono configurability page from the pre-amp. It's confusing to get to the input 'stereo section.' "‘Setup’ screen, touch the ‘Mixer Config’ tab, then touch either ‘Input Stereo’or ‘Mix Stereo’."

- While limited in LCR, the other modes are fantastic; already put them to good use when I helped install a SQ6. They had the computer sending loop & click L/R, so in their scene we sent input one L/L (meaning both L and R speakers got the left input, and same for right)

- I like the analogue -10dB or +4dB level settings in the preamp. That's nifty.

- naming of channel "apply" needs to go away in favor of "OK" I don't need to 'apply' and then 'close' the menu, just OK=save & close is fine.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:17:58 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #266 on: February 22, 2018, 01:01:15 AM »

By the way, the technical-datasheet doesn't show and the manual doesn't explain where the deep processing / tube preamp lies in the signal path.

I'm guessing, but I think it is AFTER the digital trim, and before the HPF.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #267 on: February 22, 2018, 02:17:00 AM »

As it turns out, when the input source is the USB socket (digital) the preamp & digital trim are the same, with trim giving a more granular look. When the input source is a local socket (or analogue via digital snake) then the trim and preamp are separate controls.

I think the primary reason for having a digital trim is for when the source is digital. Since there is no preamp to adjust with a digital input the trim is the way you set the level. With an analog input, it gives you the option to trim the channel level while keeping the preamp gain optimized for the best level to the AD convertor.

I still think the trim placement in the signal chain is silly. Why would you trim right after the preamp? it serves no purpose other than giving you headroom for compression... if you need that much headroom to compress then you're doing it wrong. Really the best thing to do would be have the ability to insert the 'trim function' anywhere along the signal chain (typically before/after EQ). The easiest/simplest thing to do would be give me the ability to put negative numbers in the compressor's output gain.

I don't think any other place is any better to have the trim. Where ever it ends up there are other ways to accomplish what it might do.

Mac

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #268 on: February 22, 2018, 06:54:50 AM »

I think the primary reason for having a digital trim is for when the source is digital. Since there is no preamp to adjust with a digital input the trim is the way you set the level. With an analog input, it gives you the option to trim the channel level while keeping the preamp gain optimized for the best level to the AD convertor.

I don't think any other place is any better to have the trim. Where ever it ends up there are other ways to accomplish what it might do.

Mac

Mac is right, typically I only use digital trim on MADI or AES sources, occasionally a really hot keyboard input if it's not clipping the preamp and I am too lazy to walk to the stage and pad the DI box.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Peter Morris

« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:58 AM »

The digital trim is used for doing monitor splits; so the gain on the monitor desk can be adjusted without effecting the gain of the Mic pre's on the FOH console. (or visa versa as per A&H's video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD3L0SK0FTA
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:54:39 AM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:58 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 26 queries.