ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167558 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:53 AM »

Well we probably are from different continent ;D. Anyway seems like we might purchase Qu series instead (probably the Qu32) :-\

Could you rent until you can get SQ? SQ is wayy more board than QU.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Peter Morris

« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2018, 08:26:45 AM »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »

Connecting SQ to Qu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcKhHFQTRQU

What I find impressive is it wasn't even planned or mentioned. It just happened.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »

Well we probably are from different continent ;D. Anyway seems like we might purchase Qu series instead (probably the Qu32) :-\

We tend to be USA/North America-centric here.  There is a field in your Forum Profile settings called "personal text" that you can use to display your location, and you can be as specific or vague as you choose.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »

Are you sure about that?  We live in the same area and mine does not as of this afternoon.  Shipping in a couple of weeks.

They left me a phone message yesterday morning telling me they got a shipment in just in case I could sell some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #255 on: February 21, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »

Maybe this will be considered off-topic, but since I am considering the M32R, can anyone provide their subjective opinion on the difference in audio quality between the SQ and M32R? For full disclosure I have a Midas Venice32 that I really like but don't take out anymore, and have been using a Yamaha LS9-16 but find that to be a sub-optimal live music board and a bit 'sterile' sounding, though very reliable.

Cheers,
Tom

Peter Morris

« Reply #256 on: February 21, 2018, 05:31:48 PM »

Maybe this will be considered off-topic, but since I am considering the M32R, can anyone provide their subjective opinion on the difference in audio quality between the SQ and M32R? For full disclosure I have a Midas Venice32 that I really like but don't take out anymore, and have been using a Yamaha LS9-16 but find that to be a sub-optimal live music board and a bit 'sterile' sounding, though very reliable.

Cheers,
Tom

To me the LS9 and M7 are one of the few boards where I notice a negative impact on sound quality.  Things like the X32 and the M32 sound fine.  I think my Midas Pro2 sounds slightly better than the M32 and our dLive even better again.

My first impression is that the SQ with the DX racks at 96kHz sounds like the dLive – fantastic. A lot of SQ owners are commenting on its excellent sound quality.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #257 on: February 21, 2018, 09:19:12 PM »

I agree 100% with this.  I've seen both boards in person and the Qu left a lot to be desired in my opinion (and I say that owning a Qu-Pac).  I much preferred the Si Impact sitting next to the Qu-32 in the demo room.  After seeing the SQ I'd take that over the Impact as well.  Truth be told, I came away feeling that the SQ series is really what the Qu series should have been to begin with.  For the money it's hard to do better unless you prefer the X/M32 for its widespread acceptance.   

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #258 on: February 21, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »

I wish we could do that, but seems renting is not an option by the church board. I really want to experience that 96khz goodness tho.

We tend to be USA/North America-centric here.  There is a field in your Forum Profile settings called "personal text" that you can use to display your location, and you can be as specific or vague as you choose.

That's why I tend to be the silent reader, learn quite a lot from here (except in regards to procuring products 8))

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #259 on: February 21, 2018, 11:09:49 PM »

Okay so I've just played around with my SQ6 in my office.

Spent forever (I'm not well versed with DAW's) figuring out how to make Studio One and then Tracktion send multitrack to the board. [SQ AISO driver installed fine on W7 x64 and showed up immediately... once I plugged it in  :-[ ]

Tried midi for you Kevin; couldn't get anything :(

Some initial thoughts in no particular order:

-  Chromatic Channel Metering is excellent. I changed the "lower nominal level" color to yellow from 'green'. and moved the "active open mic" lower limit to -55dB from -50dB. I think that should be the default. I also think there should be extra buttons to load 'presets' eg. this preset works great for this recording/multitrack session. Live will probably be different. Shows contain the settings for this.

- The Layer buttons flash red when clipping is occurring indicating issues on other layers. Perfect. (there is a separate peak light that lights ~3 or 4 dB before 1kHz audible clipping).

- Really needs some way to speed up routing/patching all the inputs.
*patch - one-to-one patch all button
*DCA & Mute Grp assign - blocks of 8 and or select all buttons

- Turning control needs to pop-up the value on the screen

- Processing button always goes to home view (multiple input view) It should toggle to a channel view if pressed multiple times

- If I press HPF section of the channel overview it should send me to the EQ portion so I can see the HPF

- I don't like HPF being white/grey [most devices use that as off/unselected] HPF should be purple and LF EQ should be green

- view button to see processing is desperately needed (I saw a suggestion to add a setting to change the 'In' button to 'view' for that processing block)

- I just realized the matricies (really all the outputs) have a source select and can be 'mixed' into what the aux/matrix/group/main has. The problem is the outputs are not "phase coherent" with the inputs, perhaps with eachother, but the pink noise is definitely different when combining the [main output > matrix + ch output > matrix]

- I'd like a 'mode' where anytime I do anything the screen goes to that processing view for that channel/encoder/button. The screen seems to always end up in a state that isn't usable and I have to go hunting for the processing view I 'want' I'd rather the screen just follow what I'm doing. But I can see when that wouldn't be helpful, so... make it a toggle (perhaps when programing/during practice but not during show, so you can make internal changes and mix at the same time.

- Scribble strips should have been larger, and we want control of the colors. [though i couldn't care less about the 'symbols' for instruments and such, no one looks at that...just the name.]

- the view button should just toggle between modes (name, input, input type) not the weird press and double press and hold stuff.

- channel names should be longer

- reset the L/R balance somehow would be nice?

- EQ width control knob can't send EQ to shelf. Must use the universal control knob. Rather annoying, you'll only make the mistake once so it makes that entire width knob on the LF & HF filters fairly pointless as you'll always be using the universal encoder.

- HPF & LPF!!

- REALLY REALLY REALLY want the trim to be an ACTUAL DIGITAL trim not another preamp gain control :( digital boards really should just come with this  see below posts

- never used any sort of tube stage. Really curious as to how that sounds/works.

---
Overall a good board. Lots of little things to nit pick at. Other products we're comparing to are fully mature, not quite fair.

over the next year or two we shall see substantial development for SQ ecosystem. They're getting the basics out of the way, connectivity; core features. Updates will come, though I still think QU needs one last update (beyond 2.93...) before they abandon it... :/

I agree with Jeff, this is what QU should have been. and there should be a ~6.5k board that combines GLD & SQ for an in-between QU/Dlive C series... meh whatever?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:30:22 PM by Nathan Riddle »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #259 on: February 21, 2018, 11:09:49 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.