ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 168417 times)

Peter Morris

Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

You've had 4 days.

It’s brilliant – quick and easy to use and sounds fantastic at 96k.  It’s a lot more serious than the Qu. Its a bit like a cross between the Qu and dLive.   It is a small desk and of course does not offer all the features of a dLive C1500 or C2500, but for the $$$ it’s awesome.

It what I would describe as a fully feature desk, but there some limitations - Up to 48 in and 12 stereo/mono Auxes out.  If you need groups you lose Auxes. There’s 8 DCA’s, 8 EFX’s but only 4 dedicated EFX’s sends but 8 returns. You can insert an EFX on a channel and use one of the remaining returns.

You can arrange the channels with a drop & drag function like the GLD or dLive, but I was not able to change the channel color from the factory preset – part of me thinks this is a good idea, I have seen so many crazy color schemes on the iLive that totally confused every guest engineer and tainted what was otherwise a great desk, anyway, I sure many will not agree  ???

The ergonomics are great and I didn’t miss the complete set of tone controls. It has a capacitive touch screen that allows you to scroll across the channels like an iPad, the single led level meters work better than I expected and there is a new feature; Channel-to-all-MIX button.  Select a channel and press the CH-to-all-Mix and all the send levels (Aux, Groups & Efx etc) will spill left to right. Release the button and you are immediately back to where you were – it’s like the blue mix button on the iLive/dlive but it spills all the things being sent from that channel left to right – just love this – I think making this an option on the dLive would be great especially for the C1500 and C2500.

You can see there are going to be a lot more features offered with the firmware upgrades. I suspect 1.2 will be a noticeable improvement.  At the moment there is just one “plugin” for want of a better description – a valve mic-pre that does warm things up or add distortion, if that’s the sound you are after.

Mechanically it feels solid and the faders are smother than the Qu’s – in all, it has to be by far the best small desk on the market at the moment.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »

The verbs?  Compressors?  Are they at DLive levels?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »

It’s brilliant

Does it fit in the QU32 case? Or will we need to wait for new cases to come out?

I'm glad its fully functional already. Seemed from the community at A&H it had some major features lacking and some issues with d-snake to where the 1.01 and 1.1 versions of software seemed almost beta (very well tested/stable, but rushed/pushed)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Peter Morris

« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »

The verbs?  Compressors?  Are they at DLive levels?

Yes the same - at the moment there was just a standard compressor with a side chain and parallel option. I suspect there will be more with firmware 1.2

Peter Morris

« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2018, 11:34:17 PM »

Does it fit in the QU32 case? Or will we need to wait for new cases to come out?

I'm glad its fully functional already. Seemed from the community at A&H it had some major features lacking and some issues with d-snake to where the 1.01 and 1.1 versions of software seemed almost beta (very well tested/stable, but rushed/pushed)

If you have a look at the picture I posted, its a Qu24 and SQ6 side by side.  With a new foam insert I think it would fit, you may be able to cut out an existing Qu24 case ... not sure I only had a quick look.

Qu - 632mm x 496mm x 186/190mm
SQ - 638mm x 514.9mm x 198 mm

When you look at the firmware (1.0 & 1.1) its obvious to me there is a lot more to come. I expect 1.2 will have some major updates.

At the moment they have not supported the DX32 (due in 1.2) ... it does seem to work but I have had it disconnect with Cat5 but not with cat5e.  Testing different cables as I type  :)  When firmware version 1.2 is released there should be no problems.

I have also used it with an AR2412 - no problems.  I don't have a DX168 to test with it but I have not heard of any issues.

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2018, 08:02:06 AM »

It’s brilliant – quick and easy to use and sounds fantastic at 96k.  It’s a lot more serious than the Qu. Its a bit like a cross between the Qu and dLive.   It is a small desk and of course does not offer all the features of a dLive C1500 or C2500, but for the $$$ it’s awesome.

It what I would describe as a fully feature desk, but there some limitations - Up to 48 in and 12 stereo/mono Auxes out.  If you need groups you lose Auxes. There’s 8 DCA’s, 8 EFX’s but only 4 dedicated EFX’s sends but 8 returns. You can insert an EFX on a channel and use one of the remaining returns.

You can arrange the channels with a drop & drag function like the GLD or dLive, but I was not able to change the channel color from the factory preset – part of me thinks this is a good idea, I have seen so many crazy color schemes on the iLive that totally confused every guest engineer and tainted what was otherwise a great desk, anyway, I sure many will not agree  ???

The ergonomics are great and I didn’t miss the complete set of tone controls. It has a capacitive touch screen that allows you to scroll across the channels like an iPad, the single led level meters work better than I expected and there is a new feature; Channel-to-all-MIX button.  Select a channel and press the CH-to-all-Mix and all the send levels (Aux, Groups & Efx etc) will spill left to right. Release the button and you are immediately back to where you were – it’s like the blue mix button on the iLive/dlive but it spills all the things being sent from that channel left to right – just love this – I think making this an option on the dLive would be great especially for the C1500 and C2500.

You can see there are going to be a lot more features offered with the firmware upgrades. I suspect 1.2 will be a noticeable improvement.  At the moment there is just one “plugin” for want of a better description – a valve mic-pre that does warm things up or add distortion, if that’s the sound you are after.

Mechanically it feels solid and the faders are smother than the Qu’s – in all, it has to be by far the best small desk on the market at the moment.

Our church have used both GLD and Qu, and our GLD is currently have lots of problem (vibrating faders, mising scene and failed recall, phantom power goes haywire,etc2). Do you think it is better to replace the GLD with SQ? I wish our GLD mixpad is at least similar to SQ mixpad, the app is so much more intuitive even if it is currently still unfinished.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:06 PM »

Now my ETA is end of Jan :(

Peter, you using your SQ6 on the 11th-14th ;) haha [They say patience is a virtue]

If you have a look at the picture I posted, its a Qu24 and SQ6 side by side.  With a new foam insert I think it would fit, you may be able to cut out an existing Qu24 case ... not sure I only had a quick look.

Qu - 632mm x 496mm x 186/190mm
SQ - 638mm x 514.9mm x 198 mm

Apologies, I meant Qu24* case. I had taken the size dimensions into account; but it looks like you have the same gator case I have for my QU24 and the manual for the SQ specifically mentions covering up the air vents underneath is a big no-no. Care to take a look for me?

When you look at the firmware (1.0 & 1.1) its obvious to me there is a lot more to come. I expect 1.2 will have some major updates.

At the moment they have not supported the DX32 (due in 1.2) ... it does seem to work but I have had it disconnect with Cat5 but not with cat5e.  Testing different cables as I type  :)  When firmware version 1.2 is released there should be no problems.

I have also used it with an AR2412 - no problems.  I don't have a DX168 to test with it but I have not heard of any issues.

That's what I mean, it seems from the community.allen-heath.com posts give the feel that there is MUCH more to come. That's probably good, give some 'life' to the console for the next few years, keeps things relevant.

I saw your post about the DX32; I really think that is the Cat5, I wouldn't use less than Cat6 STP for audio really, it's just too scary to have a dropout on account of a low spec cable. Cat5e is loads more capable than Cat5 too; so there's that...

I'll probably get 2x of the DX168's in the future; and that'll be my setup; for now-copperrrr.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »

Our church have used both GLD and Qu, and our GLD is currently have lots of problem (vibrating faders, mising scene and failed recall, phantom power goes haywire,etc2). Do you think it is better to replace the GLD with SQ? I wish our GLD mixpad is at least similar to SQ mixpad, the app is so much more intuitive even if it is currently still unfinished.

Depends on your needs, do you need more than 24 mono mixes? LCR/matrix? keep GLD

Otherwise, get SQ. Also, get GLD fixed?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2018, 03:48:20 PM »

Depends on your needs, do you need more than 24 mono mixes? LCR/matrix? keep GLD

Otherwise, get SQ. Also, get GLD fixed?
Or you could buy my 2nd one. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Peter Morris

« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

Now my ETA is end of Jan :(

Peter, you using your SQ6 on the 11th-14th ;) haha [They say patience is a virtue]

Apologies, I meant Qu24* case. I had taken the size dimensions into account; but it looks like you have the same gator case I have for my QU24 and the manual for the SQ specifically mentions covering up the air vents underneath is a big no-no. Care to take a look for me?

That's what I mean, it seems from the community.allen-heath.com posts give the feel that there is MUCH more to come. That's probably good, give some 'life' to the console for the next few years, keeps things relevant.

I saw your post about the DX32; I really think that is the Cat5, I wouldn't use less than Cat6 STP for audio really, it's just too scary to have a dropout on account of a low spec cable. Cat5e is loads more capable than Cat5 too; so there's that...

I'll probably get 2x of the DX168's in the future; and that'll be my setup; for now-copperrrr.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the desk.

My testing with the DX32 looks like the firmware is only configured to support 16-in and 8-out at the moment from a single rack - I assume it works fine with multiple 168's. 

It seems to be working fine (so far ... testing is continuing) when I patch my DX32 rack as 16-8 but if I patch it 24-8 it eventually falls over even if I change the cable to a higher spec.  ... looking forward to Firmware 1.2 :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:35:39 PM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.