ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 168539 times)

Thomas Le

Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2017, 12:49:25 AM »

Of all things, my church finally decides on upgrading to digital from a GB4-32. Initially they are going for a QU32 but I'm really pushing for an SQ6. Here's to hoping it's easy to train on for the uninitiated...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2017, 05:00:45 AM »

Of all things, my church finally decides on upgrading to digital from a GB4-32. Initially they are going for a QU32 but I'm really pushing for an SQ6. Here's to hoping it's easy to train on for the uninitiated...

Basic training on a digital console shouldn't be much different than training on an analog console IF there is no prior training or experience to un-learn.  It's us old guys that go back to the Yamaha PM-1000 days that get tripped up in the workflow... ;)

"Selecting" a channel or feature isn't logically different than hunting up/down a column of knobs for the one you want to change.  It's the UI experience that makes this a bigger deal for 'crossover' operators than newer folks that don't have that history.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: RE: Posting Rules
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »

Nothing's wrong with your studio name, you just can't use it to post on these forums. In these forums we expect members to stand behind their statements with their name, not post behind an alias.

Mac

And this is why you're here. Real information from real people..

John Fruits

« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »

And this is why you're here. Real information from real people..
In fact, you can tell it is for audio professionals, it has a much higher signal to noise ratio.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »

In fact, you can tell it is for audio professionals, it has a much higher signal to noise ratio.

i hear what you did there!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chris Eddison

« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »

As people are starting to receive their consoles can I ask a few questions that are specifically about the scene recalls please (it's not really covered in the manuals in great depth). My line of work is theatre so a lot of my needs are pretty specific and often not covered very well in the literature for this kind of desk, hence the need to ask;

How fast do the scene recalls feel? Are they near instant or is there a processing delay? If there's a delay is it just the surface catching up or does it affect the audio as well (e.g. if the scene pulls down a channel fader and there's a delay, does the audio go instantly but the fader just take a while to catch up?)?

Can the scene recall change the layout of the desk? i.e. can you bring channels to a layer and then move them away again?

Can the scene recall change a channel's DCA assignment?

Can the scene recall change the channel labels and colours?

Finally on a non-scenes front, how are you finding the chromatic metering? Is it as intuitive as it sounds? In an earlier post I poo pooed it but I don't want to be a stick in the mud if it's actually ok to work with. Most of the time i'm using my meters to pick out the one voice out of 20 open mics who is a bit louder than last time, or looking for the person with the faulty mic who's splatting away to themselves. Good metering is therefore really essential.
Thanks in advance to anybody who can answer any of the above.
Chris

Mark Amber

« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »

As people are starting to receive their consoles can I ask a few questions that are specifically about the scene recalls please (it's not really covered in the manuals in great depth). My line of work is theatre so a lot of my needs are pretty specific and often not covered very well in the literature for this kind of desk, hence the need to ask;

How fast do the scene recalls feel? Are they near instant or is there a processing delay? If there's a delay is it just the surface catching up or does it affect the audio as well (e.g. if the scene pulls down a channel fader and there's a delay, does the audio go instantly but the fader just take a while to catch up?)?

Can the scene recall change the layout of the desk? i.e. can you bring channels to a layer and then move them away again?

Can the scene recall change a channel's DCA assignment?

Can the scene recall change the channel labels and colours?

Finally on a non-scenes front, how are you finding the chromatic metering? Is it as intuitive as it sounds? In an earlier post I poo pooed it but I don't want to be a stick in the mud if it's actually ok to work with. Most of the time i'm using my meters to pick out the one voice out of 20 open mics who is a bit louder than last time, or looking for the person with the faulty mic who's splatting away to themselves. Good metering is therefore really essential.
Thanks in advance to anybody who can answer any of the above.
Chris
One thing I can confirm that you might have already is that the iPad app has a custom meter bridge section... 6 actually. So you can arrange meters exactly how you want. Including having inputs next to outputs and placing blank divider spaces. Personally i think this is a really good way to at a glance see the whole picture even when the desk may only have 8-10 input faders per layer once you factor in VCA for a theater show.

I'm excited to hear about the theater related stuff as this desk truly could be perfect in small community theater stuff. I think the lack of input channels will hurt it for regional/tour stuff but for theater I rarely need more than 12 or so actual handles to "get the job done".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Peter Morris

« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »

:)

Bob Harvey

• Central VA
« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »

Please suffer quietly !   ;D
- Bob

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »

I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.