ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 168551 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »

Absolutely, and the number of feature requests and issues from community.allen-heath.com proves there already are and will be more glitches and improvements.

For me, it's the platform that will, in the end, stand for a number of years as a worth-while investment.
Yep.  The stage box and IEM mixers rounds out the SQ infrastructure system quite nicely.  I think it is interesting what A&H are attempting to do here (putting my business hat on).

Behringer has all but wholly claimed the low end digital market.  It is very hard to compete with them and their low cost infrastructure system as well as their app support.

A&H has re-established a new market segment.  One between the ultra low end digital (Behringer), and the higher end (D-Live, Digico, etc).  I remember not too many years ago, the champion of the small/medium venue digital mixers was the venerable LS9.  You could get yourself into 32 channels under 10K which was quite a thing back then.

Seems to me like A&H are putting their hat into the ring above the current crop of X32's, Expressions, and the like, but staying well south of pro pricing territory.

The SQ does make me wonder about the fate of the GLD though.  Hard to justify a GLD when you can have D-Live processing in the SQ IMHO.

Robert Healey

« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »

The SQ does make me wonder about the fate of the GLD though.  Hard to justify a GLD when you can have D-Live processing in the SQ IMHO.

A&H should update the GLD with the networking options of the SQ, and maybe add a couple features like LCR mixing. There are situations in my installs where the GLD surface is warranted at a higher price than the SQ, but the dSnake protocol is a limiting factor.

While they're at it, they should do the QU-series too so that all of the stage boxes are compatible with all of the mixers.

Albert Benichou

« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »

Hello,
just got an Allen & Heath SQ-5 mixer today and after playing a few hours with it I still cannot believe how good it sounds, to the point I am wondering if I need any other piece of gear beside mics and speakers. I am now curious to see if anybody else can share some feelings. So far the only thing I didn't like is the panning, which only shows in a graphic format and not on a digital scale (and a small screen)

I must add that I have been waiting for months for this particular mixer mostly because not only you can use it as live mixer and a daw interface, but also as a 32 channel recorder @ 96KHz with an FPGA engine.

Please help me find some weak points and I will be happy to test them too.

Art Nadelman

« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2017, 08:18:40 AM »

A&H should update the GLD with the networking options of the SQ, and maybe add a couple features like LCR mixing.

The GLD does do LCR mixing.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »

Please help me find some weak points

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Albert Benichou

« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »

Ok, I put my name, but just curious, what's wrong our studio name?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
RE: Posting Rules
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »

Nothing's wrong with your studio name, you just can't use it to post on these forums. In these forums we expect members to stand behind their statements with their name, not post behind an alias.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »

Nothing wrong with the name if it serves your purpose for recording for hire.

But in at least 3 different places the forums plainly state that "real names are required to post in the live audio forums"...

You've fixed that.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »

Yep.  The stage box and IEM mixers rounds out the SQ infrastructure system quite nicely.  I think it is interesting what A&H are attempting to do here (putting my business hat on).

Behringer has all but wholly claimed the low end digital market.  It is very hard to compete with them and their low cost infrastructure system as well as their app support.

A&H has re-established a new market segment.  One between the ultra low end digital (Behringer), and the higher end (D-Live, Digico, etc).  I remember not too many years ago, the champion of the small/medium venue digital mixers was the venerable LS9.  You could get yourself into 32 channels under 10K which was quite a thing back then.

Seems to me like A&H are putting their hat into the ring above the current crop of X32's, Expressions, and the like, but staying well south of pro pricing territory.

One (of many) things I like about the GLD is that the surface fader banks can each independently be on any layer.

My LS9 still gets all the outdoor work. Lots of faders.
I just don’t need 2 GLDs anymore though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Bolt

« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »

One (of many) things I like about the GLD is that the surface fader banks can each independently be on any layer.

My LS9 still gets all the outdoor work. Lots of faders.
I just don’t need 2 GLDs anymore though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Any plans for an SQ Rob?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.