ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 168467 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »

No, I don't think it's either simplistic or incorrect.  Any *recordist* who is accustomed to using preamps that deliberately color the signal will not be happy with "clean" preamps unless she/he suddenly has a change of heart (or ears) about the desired sonic attributes of that input.

Recording is whole separate world with their equivalents of our Live Sound Voodoo thinking, assumptions and old (bad) habits.  t

To compare them is like calling a both a yellow student transportation bus and a band's tour bus "motor coaches".  Yeah, in some respect they are, but in reality they're very different beasts that perform a cursory similar task.

Okay I think I see what you mean.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

It isn't the price difference though that matters. It's that one pre-amp is clean and one is coloring the signal on purpose.

In the live-sound world everyone crys over the pre-amp differences between boards when in reality they are all roughly the same (clean), but people like the recording pre-amps that intentionally color the signal.

That's why dLive (and soon SQ) now has emulators for tube preamps so you can take the pure signal and color it however you think best suits the sound.

Correct me if my understanding is incorrect. Thanks!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Okay I think I see what you mean.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

It isn't the price difference though that matters. It's that one pre-amp is clean and one is coloring the signal on purpose.

In the live-sound world everyone crys over the pre-amp differences between boards when in reality they are all roughly the same (clean), but people like the recording pre-amps that intentionally color the signal.

That's why dLive (and soon SQ) now has emulators for tube preamps so you can take the pure signal and color it however you think best suits the sound.

Correct me if my understanding is incorrect. Thanks!

I suspect much of this is Voodoo audionomics...  People tend to think they hear what they want to hear (like my BE guy that swore up and down an external word clock improved the sound of an M7 - without it even being enabled on the console).

I also think too many recordists are like guitarists - they hear shit that ONLY THEY CAN HEAR and anyone who cannot hear those things also cannot see the Emperor's new clothes - they are not worthy.

That said, it's a free market and if someone finds having their Lucky Rabbit Foot sitting on the fader of input #3 makes their recordings big fat hits on radio, go for it.  If he wants to write an article about Rabbit Foot charms improving the "sound" of something, ehhh..... damn, I just gave up my big mixing secret! ;)

There are certain vintage EQ and dynamics plug ins that I've become fond of for the way they work, not so much the way simply inserting them "colors" the sound in the mind/ears of some users.  The SSL G Master bus comps work differently than Fairchild 660 and sound different when they work, but I use each of them because of the way they compress, not because they're audio crayons.

But back to preamps - I think there are 2 basic schools of recording:  get the sounds recorded with the least amount of noise & alterations of any kind, then make the changes in the mixdown process; and the "get it down on tape (or disk) with the tracks recorded more in the shape of the final product.  I was trained in the former school of thought (physician, first do no harm) for recording.  My thinking is that I'd rather re-amp (or re-pre) a clean signal than try to clean up a dirty signal, but that's a work flow decision and only applies if I'm the producer as well as engineer...

edit ps - all this hand wringing and clutching of the June Cleaver pearls over preamps is redundant and frankly silly - you can't change them if you don't like them and mostly what one hears that one does not like about a console has almost NOTHING to do with the preamp chip itself - it's whatever the rest of the console circuitry and DSP algorithms have done with that input signal.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:20:03 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

richard_cooper

« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »

Then there's This where the preamp of choice is a Beringer eurorack mixer...

Art Nadelman

« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »

Then there's This where the preamp of choice is a Beringer eurorack mixer...

Great demo!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »

V 1.1.0 is available.

I don't have my SQ-6 yet, so I don't have access to the download portal for the release notes of what else they changed.

Hi All,

Firmware V1.1.0 is now available to download for registered SQ users.
 It includes the DEEP Tube Stage preamp and SQ MixPad app support amongst a host of other updates.

Head to allen-heath.com/registersq if you haven’t already registered.
 Registered users have already been sent out an email with download details.

Enjoy!
 Cheers,

Keith.

http://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/sq-v1-1-0

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »

My distributor called me today to say they got in some SQ-5 mixers today.
They need the new firmware though. So, they made it to New England

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Harvey

• Central VA
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »

My SQ5 was shipped yesterday from AM&S.  FedEx says it should be here Tuesday.

Have you opened it yet ... or did you put a bow on it and are saving it until Christmas morning ?  ;D

If you have received it ... I'm betting it's open.

First impressions ?

- Bob

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »

I'm surprised as to the number of (random to me) people that already have it.

Someone else has the SQ-5 already.

You have to be in the group to see though I think. :(
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChurchSoundMediaTechs/permalink/1537774306299008/

Scott Bolt

« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2017, 01:42:50 PM »

While I am looking forward to the reviews (which I am of the opinion will overwhelmingly say the desk sounds very good), I wouldn't want to be one of the first adopters ..... cutting bloody edge and all ;)

I suspect some glitches for a time.... but the foundation surely looks impressive.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

While I am looking forward to the reviews (which I am of the opinion will overwhelmingly say the desk sounds very good), I wouldn't want to be one of the first adopters ..... cutting bloody edge and all ;)

I suspect some glitches for a time.... but the foundation surely looks impressive.

Absolutely, and the number of feature requests and issues from community.allen-heath.com proves there already are and will be more glitches and improvements.

For me, it's the platform that will, in the end, stand for a number of years as a worth-while investment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.