ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167462 times)

Bob Harvey

• Central VA
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »

OK ... November has come and gone.

The turkey scraps are all gone.

Any SQ sightings in the U.S. ?

Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ...
- Bob

Peter Morris

« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2017, 12:45:52 AM »

OK ... November has come and gone.

The turkey scraps are all gone.

Any SQ sightings in the U.S. ?

Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ...

Mine is due to arrive next week in Oz .... in the mean time here is the manual, it may help answer some of the questions people have been asking

http://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_v1_0_1.pdf
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:12:50 AM by Peter Morris »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »

Mine is due to arrive next week in Oz .... in the mean time here is the manual, it may help answer some of the questions people have been asking

http://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_v1_0_1.pdf

Did you get the SQ 5 or 6?

My SQ6 is due to arrive first week of Jan hopefully (moved from Dec 30th)

Glad the manual is out. Been waiting on that.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »

Someone mentioned the iLive doing cool peak metering stuff? Looks like they kept that concept :)

• The peak (Pk) LED’s on channels strips use multi-point sensing to display destructive peaking anywhere in the channel or mix.
• If a channel is peaking on a channel strip which is on an inactive layer, the layer selection key will illuminate in red.

Also, super cool. They got polarity vs phase right! :)

---

After reading through the manual, some things I'm disappointed in :(
• Auxes are fixed pairs stereo/mono. The processing is all there to do 24x mono mixes/auxes; The lights for the buttons for SOF could be multicolor to show which 'send' you're sending. (I don't need and will not use this feature) [I think I get 'why' they did this, to limit the number of buttons on the board for SOF...]
• Wish the matrices were like Yamaha's M7's 'super matrix' meaning channels send to matrices...
• I wish it had LCR capabilities. They included a TON of features for routing channel(s) to stereo image
• I need my De-Esser and MBC to make this board perfect. Note: Frank(ie) (A&H's spokes dude) has said they will be coming soon...
• I want compressors on the FX returns.
• GEQ on everything is pointless, I'd rather have more PEQ points on outputs...
• RTA/Spectrum on PEQ on CH... :(
• Metering should be assignable: pre HPF, Pre Fader and AFL (really more, like the direct out options should be available, but...)
• For whatever reason the background screen color (of the screenshots in the manual) reminds me of windows 95... I know you have to start somewhere and it might not even be that color in real life...but ugh, It's pretty ugly for such a nice looking board haha.
• Ducking... though the compressor can be assigned side chain to different channel so it can be made into a 'ducker' though the parameters aren't quite right.

Burried features I'm kinda excited about? :)
• Talkback is a channel...wut  you can have 49ch's!
• Scene management is top notch! [Scenes and shows]
• Looks like compressor knee rate is variable, that's always nice.
• Direct Out level is +10 capable; good for lots of things...dante!
•

---

Software is still very new, so I'm sure we'll get plenty of updates over the next 1.5yrs; then maybe 1 or two more in another 2yrs.

If I were A&H I'd replace GLD with this board and re-tool my factories.

The extra extra good news is most of these are already planned :)

http://community.allen-heath.com/forums/forum/sq/sq-feature-suggestions
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:15:07 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Luke Oppenheimer

« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »

Hi all, sorry to drag conversation into prosumer territory ...

I'm thinking about getting the SQ5 for small band gigs and to double as a studio board.
 My Allen and Heath experience is capped at using gl2200 analog consoles live (probably a 3300 or 2) which never really inspired me (+ I've heard the odd super budget mixer that was truly dreadful!!).

Are the pres on the qu, gld & dlive boards in a different league?
 In the studio I am used to great river, Manley, UA, Neve etc etc level gear. Can A&H stand shoulder to shoulder?
I have an apogee ensemble and metric halo uln2 interface - as a reference point, does anyone know how the A&H gear compares?
 Studio wise the Midas m32 is in the race - all info talks about how good it's pres are ... feature/usability/gig wise I'd far rather the A&H
 Understanding that these are barely out in the wild and while I know I can do an ok job with any reasonable level gear, how would you describe the modern A&H sound?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »

The stand-alone preamps you mention are far from neutral "wire with gain."  You bought them because they DID SOMETHING to the sound you found pleasing or marketable.

The quick answer is you are not likely to find the 99 cent preamp/AD converter chip to be in the same league as the boutique products.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2017, 12:36:20 AM »

• I need my De-Esser and MBC to make this board perfect. Note: Frank(ie) (A&H's spokes dude) has said they will be coming soon...
• RTA/Spectrum on PEQ on CH... :(

These are my two top requests for the SQ (and Qu) series.

Luke Oppenheimer

« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2017, 05:47:06 AM »

The stand-alone preamps you mention are far from neutral "wire with gain."  You bought them because they DID SOMETHING to the sound you found pleasing or marketable.

The quick answer is you are not likely to find the 99 cent preamp/AD converter chip to be in the same league as the boutique products.

I guess that's what I'm asking, do you consider the A&H preamps I mentioned 99 cent preamps?
I've seen the qu described as having a warm sound which I find very attractive. I've also seen them compared favorably to the Midas Venice etc.
 Some of my high end gear isn't colored but has an incredibly full range (true) bass response that gear like the ensemble heads towards but can't match ... equally  clean uncoloured preamps should not add a cheap top end to the sound.

I was auditioning some speakers the other day with a cheap & nasty A&H analog desk. The pre's at normal gain staging added terrible upper harmonics to the sound. Backed off they were more usable but straight into the (self powered) speakers it suddenly sounded much much better.

Using an LS9 was a similar experience. I really disliked the sound of that desk - even though the processing gives you enough power to iron the tone out, I'm looking to start from a much better place.

The whole point of buying a reasonable quality desk for me is to get a good tone from the outset and use the processing to accentuate the material, not to compensate for 99c electronics.

I would hope the next SQ5 will sound far better than an LS9 in every way ... I just wonder if I'm kidding myself that I can replace apogee gear with it

Peter Morris

« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2017, 05:54:58 AM »

Hi all, sorry to drag conversation into prosumer territory ...

I'm thinking about getting the SQ5 for small band gigs and to double as a studio board.
 My Allen and Heath experience is capped at using gl2200 analog consoles live (probably a 3300 or 2) which never really inspired me (+ I've heard the odd super budget mixer that was truly dreadful!!).

Are the pres on the qu, gld & dlive boards in a different league?
 In the studio I am used to great river, Manley, UA, Neve etc etc level gear. Can A&H stand shoulder to shoulder?
I have an apogee ensemble and metric halo uln2 interface - as a reference point, does anyone know how the A&H gear compares?
 Studio wise the Midas m32 is in the race - all info talks about how good it's pres are ... feature/usability/gig wise I'd far rather the A&H
 Understanding that these are barely out in the wild and while I know I can do an ok job with any reasonable level gear, how would you describe the modern A&H sound?

I don't know about the SQ but the dLive sounds better than an M32 ... and if you want there are a couple of adjustable valve Mic-pre models that sound very nice, plus a 4 band dynamic EQ, plus a 3/4 way multiband compressor, and what I believe are models of a dbx 160, 160VU, LA2, 1176, Valley People Dyna-mite and of course a standard RMS & Peak compressor .... and they available on every channel!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:06:38 AM by Peter Morris »

Luke Oppenheimer

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:35 AM »

I don't know about the SQ but the dLive sounds better than an M32 ... and if you want there are a couple of adjustable valve Mic-pre models that sound very nice, plus a 4 band dynamic EQ, plus a 3/4 way multiband compressor, and what I believe are models of a dbx 160, 160VU, LA2, 1176, Valley People Dyna-mite and of course a standard RMS & Peak compressor .... and they available on every channel!

Thank you, that's the sort of info I was hoping to hear :)

I am also trying to work out how many of those fx come with the SQ5 out of the box and how many are paid add ons

ProSoundWeb Community

Β« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:35 AM Β»

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.