ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167478 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2017, 11:39:47 PM »

True, so it is more than the single LED per channel that I described. 

However, I was referring to a dedicated peak LED at the fader layer selection button that the iLive series has (had) that I find helpful. 

For example, my R72 has two banks of motorized faders (8 + 4 faders respectively) and each bank of faders has access to six layers (hence the 72 in the name).  Next to each of the layer selection buttons is a peak LED.  So if I'm working my vocalists with my 8 Bank-1 faders on Layer-3, and someone knocks a drum mic out of place and the channel starts to peak, the Bank-1 Layer-1 (where I keep drums) peak light would start flashing, so I hit that button to investigate. 

Each channel strip at the selected layer also includes 11 dedicated LEDs (plus peak) to indicate pre-fader, pre-mute level.  Those LED's take up about 2" of real estate x the width of the board.  For a 64x32 DSP mixer, the R72 manages to pack a lot of fast-access into a rack-mountable control surface if you're OK doing things in the touch&turn style.  When I want less screen interaction, the T112 surface gives me near-instant access to everything I need, but also takes up a lot more space on a desk at a little over 3' wide. 

Compared to the GLD-112, the T-112 trades a spot to store your iPad for more encoders in the same space, and does it with a better touchscreen angle.  Just wish the Dante card was with me at FOH like the GLD series, and that the local inputs at the iLive T-series surfaces had preamps like the GLD series, but those are the tradeoffs for having the DSP at the mix-rack (handy for iPad-only gigs). 

Up until Stephen's comment, I never really understood why someone couldn't just place their tablet on the table NEXT TO their console, but it does make sense when used as a screen extension since the viewing angles would be similar when setup that way.

Anyway I digress, this ain't about discontinued A&H products that I'm trying to justify still owning, it's about this new sexy 96kHz SQ that I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need. ;)

I agree, I like the bank/layer peak indicators too. The GLD has em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Simpson

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »

Hi Guys

I normally try to keep quiet around here, but since the issue of colour blindness with the chromatic metering has come up, and with there being little SQ documentation available so far, I thought I would add some extra information. I hope that's OK.

The channel meters on SQ have a configuration screen, where you can customise the thresholds and colours however you like. If green-yellow-orange is not effective for you, you could choose white-blue-red, green-orange, or whatever, with configurable thresholds for when the next colour comes in. The colours can be either a fixed brightness, or vary in brightness according to level. As an example, I just set a desk to use an increasing brightness of white from -30 dBu and upwards, with no colour changes at all. And yes, there is a restore to defaults button!

The dedicated peak LED always comes on at +15 dBu.

Regarding the per-bank peak LEDs, these are inside the bank buttons on SQ, so a bank button will turn red if a signal in that bank is peaking.

I hope this was helpful.

- Jeff, A&H
Allen & Heath UK
Any views expressed in this message are those of myself, and not necessarily those of the A&H.

Peter Morris

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »

I just sat through a webinar on the SQ and I can answer a few of the questions that have been raised -

1.   You can add an additional Slink port. i.e. the desk can have 2 - Slink ports
2.   There will be an iPad app and an editor coming.
3.   The scene recalls will be suitable for theatre and include scene safes and filters. You can integrate Midi in to these and control QLab for example.
4.   The sound quality should be very similar to the D-Live, it’s 96kHz and uses a 96bit accumulator like the D-Live.
5.   The LED meter are variable brightness and the colors can be selected – see Jeff post above for details  :)

The more I learn about this disk, the more I am impressed 8)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »

I just sat through a webinar on the SQ

I wanted to do that, but I was at work for both the scheduled times.

Steve.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »

I noticed the same thing.  I will be a little less kind than you and say it was just a stupid place to save a few dollars.  Really?  A single LED? 

I don't feel like they're trying to save money. Rather, I feel they are trying to innovate.

To me, the shrinking size of consoles has allowed A&H to come up with an innovative method to combine an entire LED strip into a single LED.

I think it's rather ingenious to save console space and create something new.

And now after the webinar's info and Jeff's info, it seems like they have thoroughly thought it through and weren't trying to 'save money.'

P.S.
I'm watching the webinar now, any questions we want to ask? :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

P.S.
I'm watching the webinar now, any questions we want to ask? :)

When using 48kHz stage boxes, does the console run at 48kHz?
Can the direct recordings or USB output be set to 48kHz even if the console is running at 96kHz?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »

I'm not sure this will be an issue - I never use the discrete knobs on the Qu, I always touch the EQ functions (gain,Q, frequency) on the screen and turn the master screen knob.  I find this faster than going to the discrete tone control knobs which are located to the left of the screen.

With the DLive I do use the discrete knobs for each function.  There is more real-estate on the DLive and they have been able to locate the knobs directly below the screen  so I can easily look at the screen and adjust the tone controls. Ergonomically this seems to work.

If you look carefully how they have laid out the knobs and select buttons on the SQ in may work much better than you think - I guess I will find out when mine arrives :-)

I too find the discrete tone control knobs to not be utilized on my Qu. I'd bet they took inventory of users of Qu and found that very few use them and removed them to save cost & real estate.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Slater

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »

Can the direct recordings or USB output be set to 48kHz even if the console is running at 96kHz?

The console always runs at 96kHz, and the older stageboxes are upsampled to that rate.  This question was brought up on the webinar this morning.

For your second part of the question..... I don't know.

-Scott

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2017, 12:37:13 PM »

I asked in the chat they didn't answer. Not sure if there is a Q&A at the end?

"Android OS from day 1"  8)

Not that this really matters, but FYI:
Pre-amps are not dLive, but they are "super high quality" I'm inferring they are somewhere between GLD-dLive.
Using DX would allow use of dLive pre-amps (obviously).

Linking 2x SQ with sLink will allow sharing of all onboard IO between consoles.

iPad holder on the back of the console.

FX:
Same as GLD/dLive though not as many and there's a reason for that.

I'm really hoping they give us the full suite eventually. LCR matrix processor would be really nice.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:59:12 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »

So, you even dream or fantasies in b&w?

To me red is dark, green a little brighter, then yellow the brightest. But in a normal lighted room to brighter outside I'm not so good... I see things from dark to light.  It is tough.  People talking to me about color is like you trying to tell me what a hamburger taste like if I've never ate one.  If you've never had one you'll just never know.  On the plus side I do see shades better than most. A blonde haired , blue eyed girl doesn't mean much to me and in general I judge people by actions and not so much appearance . Like a bad Monkey song though my vision is just shades of grey.

Sorry for the topic swerve.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.