ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167473 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »

To me and my purposes this is exactly what I need/want.

I wanted MBC & De-ess. All the features of QU (including QU-You app). And scribble. Everything else doesn't matter to me much.

My main issue with GLD was the older architecture meaning less capability for recording & app development.

With the price point being what it is I really don't understand what the QU series is going to do?

They are all fairly mature products, but I wouldn't buy a QU when for 100$ more I can get a SQ...

---

Looks like they're slowly updating their website & datasheets. I never saw the Matrix mentioned in either literature and had to deduce... but now I'm Seeing different values (36 busses datasheet vs 32 busses quick start)

I'm curious when the reference guide will come out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:31:25 AM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »

The whole point is to raise what "entry level but not junk" is defined as.  The X/M32 held that spot for a while, this is aiming to redefine that bar.  32 plus misc inputs becomes 48, many stereo outs rather than mono, ability to have 24 physical input faders without switching rather than 16, 96kHz and some degree of DLive DNA rather than Behringer DNA, ability to use 16ch or 40ch personal mixers, newer/higher count Dante card, touch screen, nicer scribble strips, etc.  It's not meant to compete with GLD, other than channel count. 

If this is the new entry level (not counting the iPad only "toy" mixers) - I'm all for it. 

I just wish the GLD would fade and DLive C to have a small price drop.  Or a DLive based GLD replacement, 64ch, for around $8k. 

I think that is the only explanation. SQ will replace QU/X32 level at a decent price-point and dLive will move into GLD territory.

Otherwise I don't understand the pricing structure or feature differences between each (QU,SQ,GLD) board.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Art Nadelman

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »

Do I misread or is the max channel count limited to 48?

When running stereo IEMs, I routinely double patch all inputs so the band can mix/tweak themselves without messing FOH. Having 48 caps me at 24 channel show, or less if I want to add click track, MD mic, ambient mics etc, even if I were to add a stagebox for additional physical I/O

12 stereo mixes is great, something I wish I had - but the channel count on my Si Ex1 makes me appreciate that little desk even more right now.

It's 48 inputs, not 48 channels.  You can double-patch all 48 channels to your heart's content.  On the SQ-6, there are 144 channel strips.  So if you want to double-patch all 48 channels, that would use up 96 of the 144, giving you an additional 48 fader strips for anything else.

Mark Rombouts

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »

It really is 48 input channels. Much more inputs possible with s link usb and expansion cards.

You can put a channel on more then one strip, but you can not do seperate processing on it. 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »

Much more inputs possible with s link usb and expansion cards.
I don't think this is the case.  If it is anything like the other A&H mixers, there are only a certain number of audio processing channels.  You can select the source, but but then that replaces something else.   48 is it.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 10:53:38 AM »

I'm happy to see the interest here, and I think this is a huge amount of desk for the money, but I think some expectations are getting out of whack for a $3500 desk.  It's not a DLive.  It's not even a GLD in several important ways.  It is definitely a significant upgrade to the Qu series, but draws a lot from that line.

A&H has made a fixed architecture desk that will be extremely useful to a lot of people, but you need to remember that it's a little teeny desk, and there are some limitations. 

The fact that people are mentioning this desk in the same breath as more expensive products is both encouraging and delusional, depending on your perspective.  Encouraging in the same way that the X32 before it has started to chip away at the snootiness of certain band engineers requesting ridiculous desks for small shows, but delusional in thinking that if a small provider buys one of these that they are getting $20,000 worth of desk.

It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

Mark Rombouts

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »

I don't think this is the case.  If it is anything like the other A&H mixers, there are only a certain number of audio processing channels.  You can select the source, but but then that replaces something else.   48 is it.

I see inputs as the ports available on the network and so there are more than 48. You have "only" 48 channels to patch an input to.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 10:56:39 AM »

I see inputs as the ports available on the network and so there are more than 48. You have "only" 48 channels to patch an input to.
Tell that to your client.  "I have a 64-channel desk, but I can only patch 48 of them.  Sorry, I patched your guitar into my system; I just can't get any audio out of it."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 01:23:11 PM »

It's 48 inputs, not 48 channels.  You can double-patch all 48 channels to your heart's content.  On the SQ-6, there are 144 channel strips.  So if you want to double-patch all 48 channels, that would use up 96 of the 144, giving you an additional 48 fader strips for anything else.
That's not how A&H desks work.  The "control strips" are just handles.  There are 48 channels/processing channels, whatever you want to call them - places where audio flows and can be processed.  You can put multiple copies of the physical control all over the place on the desk, but you cannot process audio separately in the way you are suggesting.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:38:26 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Bob Harvey

• Central VA
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »

Anyone see a remote app mentioned ?  I would need that on day one.

Oh ... wait ... I spotted a quick shot of a tablet app at 0:22 and a PC app at 1:02 in the promo video.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:40:39 PM by Bob Harvey »
- Bob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.