ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167410 times)

Mark Rombouts

Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »

Tell that to your client.  "I have a 64-channel desk, but I can only patch 48 of them.  Sorry, I patched your guitar into my system; I just can't get any audio out of it."

I would not sell it as 64 ch ever.
But it can be nice to have more inputs on the network patchable.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 01:33:32 PM »

Tell that to your client.  "I have a 64-channel desk, but I can only patch 48 of them.  Sorry, I patched your guitar into my system; I just can't get any audio out of it."

However, not entirely a useless capability-depending on your use.  We do some theatrical work-some mics I only need during certain scenes.  Re-patching via scene recall is doable if I understand correctly and in this use would work as nicely as a 64 channel desk.
Steve Swaffer

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »

It's 48 inputs, not 48 channels.  You can double-patch all 48 channels to your heart's content.  On the SQ-6, there are 144 channel strips.  So if you want to double-patch all 48 channels, that would use up 96 of the 144, giving you an additional 48 fader strips for anything else.
People are confusing the words "Inputs", "Channels" and "Strips".
There are many more potential input connectors (maybe unlimited) than processing channels. There are only 48 processing channels. These can be placed anywhere within a number of custom banks, up to 144 locations. No additional processing. Think of "Strips" as "Faders", even though it's more than just fader adjustments.

If what you were saying were true, then a CL5 (a 72-channel desk) would be a 160 channel desk! It's not. It's got 72 processing channels, 64 simultaneous inputs (out of an infinite number) and multiple fader banks allowing up to 160 strips (regular faders + custom faders).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:44:35 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

Anyone see a remote app mentioned ?  I would need that on day one.
IOS has been mentioned as coming soon.  No plans for a PC editor that I've heard of.

The A&H Facebook page is a good place for information - A&H people have answered a lot of questions.

Bob Harvey

• Central VA
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »

IOS has been mentioned as coming soon.  No plans for a PC editor that I've heard of.

The A&H Facebook page is a good place for information - A&H people have answered a lot of questions.

I just spotted a quick shot of a tablet app at 0:22 and a PC app at 1:02 in the promo video.
- Bob

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »

One of the reply's state editor is coming Q1 2018 (along with a whole suite of other 'stuff')
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Art Nadelman

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 05:34:56 PM »

It really is 48 input channels. Much more inputs possible with s link usb and expansion cards.

You can put a channel on more then one strip, but you can not do seperate processing on it.

Each channel can be independently processed no matter how many times that input is assigned to a channel.  This is true across the QU, GLD, dLive and now the SQ line.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:40:01 PM by Art Nadelman »

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »

So, the SQ-6 is a QU-24 but with scribble scrips, built-in lights and optional Dante?  Cool!  Sure looks sleek.

I realize there are more differences (I've read all published pdf's front to back) but the scribble strip thing and lack of expansion card slot on the QU series always kept me away from considering them.  Not that I need this either at the moment...

I'm not sure I'm Dante-savvy enough to understand how a 64x64 Dante card is fully usable in a 48x36 mixer, but at least it's more than 32 (or 16) that other brands are offering at this price bracket. 

Perhaps A&H will pull something similar to Soundcraft (with their SI Impact) and allow more processing channels by way of a software update in a couple years.  A guy could hope...
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »

Each channel can be independently processed no matter how many times that input is assigned to a channel.  This is true across the QU, GLD, dLive and now the SQ line.
Channel or Strip? Again you may be getting confused on the terminology.
You understand that it is a 48 CHANNEL desk, correct? Where the word Channel refers to a processing module (eq/comp/gate/fader/sends, etc.)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »

physical jack yes, processing channel no. You have 48 processing channels, period. If you put two copies of processing channel 11 somewhere on the surface and you move the fader, the fader on the other page will move to match.

If you patch physical input 8 to processing channel 8 and processing channel 9 you have separate control, however you have now used two of your 48 channels for physical input 8.

This is true across the Qu and GLD which I have direct and significant experience with.

The DLive i presume works similarly as well, however it is a much larger system, so you may not run into a practical limit with I believe 128 processing channels.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.