ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: PNW AES Section Online Meeting: "Mixing on Glass" April 28  (Read 5124 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: PNW AES Section Online Meeting: "Mixing on Glass" April 28
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »

Hi Dan,

Is there a recording I can access.  I was working on a project in Australia last night... darn it.

Hi Mal,

Sorry for the delay in replying, and I'm sorry you couldn't be with us but happy you were somehow working on a project in Australia. How does that work, if you want to share.

The event went better by far than I feared it would. There were a lot of possible pitfalls, many of which we eliminated ahead of time, some of which we finessed, and some of which we lucked out on. My being simultaneously talent, producer, and the entirety of the  in-person technical staff was not the least of the potential pitfalls, and somehow it all went OK.

The response from attendees was more than gratifying, and a remarkable number hung on to the bitter end. My talk, which I timed out a couple of times in advance, totaled an hour and a half of prepared material, and questions and comments and suggestions caused us to go about three and a half hours, when I finally had to end it reluctantly, since all who were left seemed to be having a good time just talking with each other. But I was beat.

People came from literally around the world, thanks to this forum, I'm pretty sure. I don't have an attendance list yet (somebody does), but the award to most distant attendee as well as first to arrive (I think) and last to leave was Gordon McGregor from Glasgow, who has to be an iron man. It was 3am his time when we started in the pre-meet-and-greet, which I really enjoyed being able to do, to talk to people ahead of time; that really calms my nerves when giving a presentation. It was nearly 7am his time when we quit. I sadly don't remember names very well, but there was an attendee from Edmonton, Alberta, at least one from New York City and another from New England, one each from Michigan, California, and Wisconsin, and I get fuzzy after that. We counted 38.

People were not shy about correcting me when needed, or about adding personal thoughts about the subject, both of which I was hoping for.

So it was a very good night as far as I was concerned.

My friend and cohort Gary Louie, who is the kind of rock of a Section Secretary that every Section needs and who also makes sure the AES National/International elections run smoothly and fairly in his job as AES Teller, hosted the Zoom part of the meeting through his association with the University of Washington School of Music. He made a Zoom recording of it, and I am currently editing Hour One of it, which should be finished this weekend, I hope, and will be posted on my Youtube channel, DansoundSeattle. I'll provide a link when it's done.

The other hours will dribble out, since there are a lot of outdoor projects I've put off while putting this meeting together. I've realized that there were a few things that didn't make it into the meeting, but I can add them to the Youtube version. I do want to include the after meeting discussion, as it was pretty good.

FYI, the Zoom recordings were about 4GB altogether. I simultaneously made a Quicktime Player recording (set to Maximum Quality) of just my screen and talking, and that was 434GB! I don't even know how to deal with an entity of that size, so we are using the Zoom ones.

Thanks, Mal, for your interest and help. I used two of your pictures and people paid attention. In that part of the talk (computer connected by snake to console), in addition to yours, I used one from James Paul and one from FOH magazine. That was not my primary focus, but I'd like to learn more about it.

Finally for this post, our Section really felt that having this first on-line Section meeting was pretty neat, and are planning to have most of them online, and certainly the next few. Although our normal start time of 7:30pm works for us in Seattle, we are talking about starting earlier so people East of us can more easily join. Maybe starting at 3pm PDT (GMT-7)?

Dan

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »

Hi Mal,

Sorry for the delay in replying, and I'm sorry you couldn't be with us but happy you were somehow working on a project in Australia. How does that work, if you want to share.

The event went better by far than I feared it would. There were a lot of possible pitfalls, many of which we eliminated ahead of time, some of which we finessed, and some of which we lucked out on. My being simultaneously talent, producer, and the entirety of the  in-person technical staff was not the least of the potential pitfalls, and somehow it all went OK.

The response from attendees was more than gratifying, and a remarkable number hung on to the bitter end. My talk, which I timed out a couple of times in advance, totaled an hour and a half of prepared material, and questions and comments and suggestions caused us to go about three and a half hours, when I finally had to end it reluctantly, since all who were left seemed to be having a good time just talking with each other. But I was beat.

People came from literally around the world, thanks to this forum, I'm pretty sure. I don't have an attendance list yet (somebody does), but the award to most distant attendee as well as first to arrive (I think) and last to leave was Gordon McGregor from Glasgow, who has to be an iron man. It was 3am his time when we started in the pre-meet-and-greet, which I really enjoyed being able to do, to talk to people ahead of time; that really calms my nerves when giving a presentation. It was nearly 7am his time when we quit. I sadly don't remember names very well, but there was an attendee from Edmonton, Alberta, at least one from New York City and another from New England, one each from Michigan, California, and Wisconsin, and I get fuzzy after that. We counted 38.

People were not shy about correcting me when needed, or about adding personal thoughts about the subject, both of which I was hoping for.

So it was a very good night as far as I was concerned.

My friend and cohort Gary Louie, who is the kind of rock of a Section Secretary that every Section needs and who also makes sure the AES National/International elections run smoothly and fairly in his job as AES Teller, hosted the Zoom part of the meeting through his association with the University of Washington School of Music. He made a Zoom recording of it, and I am currently editing Hour One of it, which should be finished this weekend, I hope, and will be posted on my Youtube channel, DansoundSeattle. I'll provide a link when it's done.

The other hours will dribble out, since there are a lot of outdoor projects I've put off while putting this meeting together. I've realized that there were a few things that didn't make it into the meeting, but I can add them to the Youtube version. I do want to include the after meeting discussion, as it was pretty good.

FYI, the Zoom recordings were about 4GB altogether. I simultaneously made a Quicktime Player recording (set to Maximum Quality) of just my screen and talking, and that was 434GB! I don't even know how to deal with an entity of that size, so we are using the Zoom ones.

Thanks, Mal, for your interest and help. I used two of your pictures and people paid attention. In that part of the talk (computer connected by snake to console), in addition to yours, I used one from James Paul and one from FOH magazine. That was not my primary focus, but I'd like to learn more about it.

Finally for this post, our Section really felt that having this first on-line Section meeting was pretty neat, and are planning to have most of them online, and certainly the next few. Although our normal start time of 7:30pm works for us in Seattle, we are talking about starting earlier so people East of us can more easily join. Maybe starting at 3pm PDT (GMT-7)?

Dan

I was good to talk to you guys, I'll confess to sleeping up to just before the meeting started so it wasn't as bad as it seemed :)
I sent some pictures showing the way we have our routers etc mounted to the email address for the PNW section as if you need more material ;)
Let us know of other talks it's always interesting to see how other people do stuff.

Mal Brown

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »

Thanks Dan, I'll be on those recordings soon!

Last summer I left full time employment (Insitu, div Boeing Defense Systems).  I did music and sound full time in the summer.  Had a blast!  Sat down at least twice... Also reminded myself that at 65, my body isn't going to tolerate the gung ho role much longer...  I've been into computers and specifically databases and software forever.   (wrote my first program in 1973 on paper tape...)

Last fall I started a consulting practice based in data warehousing and business intelligence.  That has picked up and I'm selling as many hours as I can handle at the moment.  It is all remote work so I'm basically back to working full time but now for myself.

My wife is a software product manager who also works from home.  ... we are very, very lucky.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »

Thanks Dan, I'll be on those recordings soon!

Last summer I left full time employment (Insitu, div Boeing Defense Systems).  I did music and sound full time in the summer.  Had a blast!  Sat down at least twice... Also reminded myself that at 65, my body isn't going to tolerate the gung ho role much longer...  I've been into computers and specifically databases and software forever.   (wrote my first program in 1973 on paper tape...)

Last fall I started a consulting practice based in data warehousing and business intelligence.  That has picked up and I'm selling as many hours as I can handle at the moment.  It is all remote work so I'm basically back to working full time but now for myself.

My wife is a software product manager who also works from home.  ... we are very, very lucky.

Thanks, Mal; sounds like you and your wife are living the dream. Congrats!

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »

Dan, FWIW relative to the subject matter of your upcoming presentation, a link to web pic grabs of LV1 and UI24 hardware FB user`s posts, as well as some of my own MSPXM32 UI builds. Swipe on.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtcskpg4vefv1q/AABzrXLv0c9s_s5QCQwwwuEFa?dl=0

Hey, James!

I sent you a PM a few days ago; did you get it? I have a few questions for you related to this.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:11 PM »

Finished editing the first hour (!) last night and put it on Youtube unlisted for feedback from my Committee; that's done, so it's public now.

Link

Thanks, everyone!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.